IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

11 hours ago, Banker said:

We need to at least allow families to visit as it’s getting ridiculous now

Can't you just wait for the vaccine? It's bad enough all the students coming back for Christmas. Although, let's be honest, most of the smart ones will have deferred this year.

9 hours ago, All Right said:

a lot of people deciding to move back to the UK fir family reasons.

A very few. Maybe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kopek said:

I think there are more important aspects of Lockdown/restrictions/border closures to concentrate on than second home owners!!!

The point is that Howie is banning Manx born people who don’t need work permits etc whilst allowing a number of second home owners to shelter here

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tetchtyke said:

No, it has to be only or principal residence. Second/holiday home owners do not count as Manx residents. Some may apply as Manx residents, but they shouldn't, because they're not.

I'm fairly certain at one stage that ownership was enough - they may have tightened up.  But in a lot of cases it won't matter anyway, because if the property is owned by a company (as many will be for tax reasons) then all they need to do is have their company grant themselves a tenancy and they will able to come here based on that. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I'm fairly certain at one stage that ownership was enough - they may have tightened up.  But in a lot of cases it won't matter anyway, because if the property is owned by a company (as many will be for tax reasons) then all they need to do is have their company grant themselves a tenancy and they will able to come here based on that. 

The rules for getting a Manx resident permit have always been slightly different to the contractual route, which you linked to, though with the contractual route you had to be buying the property to actually live in it. I suppose they didn't spell this out as you wouldn't be applying as a non-resident buying property to come to the IOM if you weren't intending to move here.

The gist for residents is only or principal home. But the types of evidence any government would want- utility or rates bills, etc- are the sorts of things second home owners have too.

So second home owners aren't allowed to come here, but in reality if they lie on their application and say they're resident here (and the form does refer to both resident and principal residence) when they're not then they may well not get caught out. But they are still lying.

As you say, if the home's owned by a company they control then all bets are off.

Edited by tetchtyke

6 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

How odd.

It’s not odd really when you consider that it takes many years normally to get approval for a new drug or vaccine but this will probably be signed off in 6 months based on a limited number of tests. Just because people may be skeptical of the fast tracking that will apply doesn’t make them anti-vaxxers. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pongo said:

Maybe just cancel Christmas this year. Like the TT.

Not many of us are Christians anyhow.

yeah but, yeah but, we all like getting pished

• Haha 1

What we need is TRUST, trust that those privileged to return to our covid free shores will stick with the requirements of their isolation.

No quickies with the wife who then passes it it on to her work colleagues and beyond..........

Can we rely on that? No, I dont think that we can.

The next month is going to be a test of our on Island resolve versus the returning masses from confusing jurisdictions  instructions their own rules.

Time for our own Govt to focus on our own rules, make then plain, make the consequences of a breach widely known!!!!!!

• Like 2

According to the reports I have read, these vaccines have been tested on tens of thousands of people rather than less than 5,000 for other new vaccines. The amount of money being chucked at the research and the willingness of volunteers to participate is making a huge difference to the “process”. No delays while funding is applied for and no waits while the volunteer pool is gathered has, apparently, sliced years off the required timescales. The only thing “missing” is long term follow up on the participants.

I was highly sceptical a few weeks ago but my reading has made me begin to modify my point of view.

If they begin in the next couple of weeks, it may be possible for vaccinated youth to go back and colonise the Rock.

Edited by Flyingfemme
  • Like 3