IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

17 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

The lateral flow tests aren't nearly as accurate are they? They might be good enough for a 'you've definitely got it, you're not getting on the boat', but not for allowing people out and about.

I don’t know how accurate they are hence question, UK are also using to test close call contacts of positive people so they don’t need to isolate.

these tests do seem to be driving down rates in areas like Liverpool 

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

Last known outbreak was April 1920, either immunity had grown to sufficient levels to stop spread ( 500 million out of total word population of 1,500 million infected in two years ) or it had mutated to be less infectious and dangerous. More likely to be a combination.

What would anyone be vaccinated against a non existent flu? And if it did come back then the flu vaccine, which is changed annually to make it effective against the flu types most widely circulating, would be changed to include it.

When was the last outbreak reported? Where? in what circumstances?

This I should exactly my point. In roughly two years the Spanish flu basically died out without a vaccine. This will do the same. However, we may have the opportunity to vaccinate the most vulnerable very soon. There is no point in vaccinating everyone. 

Mandatory vaccination of everyone is totally unnecessary. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Absolutely fantastic tactics from Quayle and Ashford at today’s briefing. They literally made the Director of Public Health stand there and answer questions with Ashford literally buggering off and leaving her on the podium in a very uncomfortable way. Looks like they’re fed up of her getting an easy ride for her £100k plus a year. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Banker said:

I don’t know how accurate they are hence question, UK are also using to test close call contacts of positive people so they don’t need to isolate.

these tests do seem to be driving down rates in areas like Liverpool 

You have to be very high viral load for these to test positive (technical term: riddled with it). They're a poor alternative to PCR testing.

30 minutes ago, Banker said:

Howie saying you can get private COVID test for travel purposes here via 111 and cost is £ 50 so one bit of good news .

Also borders can’t stay closed indefinitely and he will review after he has Xmas with his family!

The thing that's going to be interesting is how many of the private COVID test certificates from the hospital will be valid at various borders around the world. Most of the countries (as far as I can tell) want to see that the lab is ISO accredited on the certificate. 

Edited by rachomics
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cambon said:

This I should exactly my point. In roughly two years the Spanish flu basically died out without a vaccine. This will do the same. However, we may have the opportunity to vaccinate the most vulnerable very soon. There is no point in vaccinating everyone. 

Mandatory vaccination of everyone is totally unnecessary. 

Not buying your reinterpretation of what you say you said. What does “it’s still out there” mean in relation to Spanish flu?

27 minutes ago, rachomics said:

The thing that's going to be interesting is how many of the private COVID test certificates from the hospital will be valid at various borders around the world. Most of the countries (as far as I can tell) want to see that the lab is ISO accredited on the certificate. 

That was my initial reaction

The hospital is becoming swamped, non urgent elective orthopaedic treatment is put on hold.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/temporary-halt-on-non-urgent-elective-orthopaedic-operations/?fbclid=IwAR1gax_naRXjBS2sJo5sZDahG4mZ-bMgmZfqoVAnHfGPO2YkRNJ_MQllcBI

Are we experiencing something unusual other than waiting for Covid-19 to hit us again? 

Edited by Max Power
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Banker said:

Is there a reason we can’t use the rapid testing described below being used in UK to try & ease travel restrictions?

Tier-three areas will be eligible for rapid or "lateral flow" coronavirus tests - which give results in about 20 minutes without the need for a lab - to help bring down infections and reduce restrictions

Yes. We would lose our Covid free gold star if we started doing any of those nasty tests. Far better to stick our fingers in our ears, sing Jingle  Bells twice and hide behind the closed border until the nasty virus goes away. 

Edited by Itsmeee
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Max Power said:

The hospital is becoming swamped, non urgent elective orthopaedic treatment is put on hold.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/temporary-halt-on-non-urgent-elective-orthopaedic-operations/?fbclid=IwAR1gax_naRXjBS2sJo5sZDahG4mZ-bMgmZfqoVAnHfGPO2YkRNJ_MQllcBI

Are we experiencing something unusual other than waiting for Covid-19 to hit us again? 

May be as simple as less granny's off the Spain this winter.

• Like 2