IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

7 hours ago, jaymann said:

I think the introduction of 1 hour outdoor exercise wearing a mask is probably the biggest weakness in the armour of this plan to hopefully get students (and others) back safely and without issue for Christmas.

Do I believe it is likely that a very small minority will take advantage of this as an opportunity to meet a friend? It think its possible.

Most here know I'm all for new direction and strategy in terms of our borders moving forward. But this half-baked attempt has potential to backfire against the 'keep the virus out at all costs' approach currently adopted.

In that balance sheet you need to factor in the cruel deprivation of those who would have their hours of outdoor exercise on their own in an absolutely responsible and safe manner as concerns covid.

It is the strategy of eradication at-all-costs that is the root of the problem. Misguided, contradictory and unsustainable policies have followed from that original mistake.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

How many people have come back and not self isolated?

The number is pretty small. Students aren't exactly dim either. They know what'll happen if they don't.

Many have already come back, note how many issues we've not had there, and note how many came back in March, and how many issues we've not had there too.

I agree that there won't be too much to worry about. Also I think everyone is well aware of the penalty for non compliance with the rules as well. 

As an aside, i have no time for anyone "who knows someone" who isn't complying with the rules on returning. Either they are bullshitting or they are part of the problem with their complicity.

Just seen on the news that one of the vaccines has a discrepancy in the trial result which will likely mean another trial before approval.

The quoted 90% effectiveness was only in people who got a half dose.  Those who got a full dose it was 60%.

I won’t be lining up anytime soon thanks

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trmpton said:

Just seen on the news that one of the vaccines has a discrepancy in the trial result which will likely mean another trial before approval.

The quoted 90% effectiveness was only in people who got a half dose.  Those who got a full dose it was 60%.

60% is better than 0%.

And dosage is bound to be refined as more experience is gained with the vaccines. Same with most medicines.

4 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I know covid will not go away and probably a large number of people will refuse to be vaccinated. But when a vaccination is on offer and you refuse it - that will be the time that society no longer has any duty to take island-wide measures to protect you....and you will be on your own in terms of protecting yourself. So there will still be regular deaths.

Quite frankly, if there are vaccines available and people refuse purely because they don't like the idea and want to stay in their cocoon, not only should society's duty to protect cease, but, personally, I will not be participating in the voluntary assistance with shopping etc. that I did during lockdown for anyone refusing without genuine health reasons.  No way am I going to queue outside Tesco in the pissing rain, just because someone isn't going to do the "right thing". 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, trmpton said:

I think there was talk of a strategy around possibly offering the Oxford vaccine to younger people and the better Pfizer and AZ ones to the elders?

19 hours ago, Hmmmm said:
So the orthopaedic department have a month or two off.  What is Minister Ashford spouting this nonsense for?  Acute care needs? Eh and 'with seasonal illness only accounting for a small proportion of this rise.'
Sounds and smells like complete nonsense.

Why can't they use the newly refurbished Private Unit for NHS patients at time of crisis, just as it was initially intended.

Poor show really.