IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

3 hours ago, trmpton said:

Just seen on the news that one of the vaccines has a discrepancy in the trial result which will likely mean another trial before approval. The quoted 90% effectiveness was only in people who got a half dose.  Those who got a full dose it was 60%. I won’t be lining up anytime soon thanks.

3 hours ago, Cambon said:

I think they will laugh at us for the fact that the whole world was conned by the threat of a bad cold!

3 hours ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

60% is better than 0%. And dosage is bound to be refined as more experience is gained with the vaccines. Same with most medicines.

3 hours ago, NoTailT said:

I think there was talk of a strategy around possibly offering the Oxford vaccine to younger people and the better Pfizer and AZ ones to the elders?

On the vaccine front, here is the timeline we can expect. The next five weeks are going to be very busy... as concerns Phase III results (graph below).

I am going to have it; though I am fine with being left at the bottom of the queue.

Those who think that practically mandatory Covid vaccination is inevitable, haven't really though through all the issues. It would require nearly unanimous international cooperation, to be sustained in the longer term. This is highly unlikely to happen, considering the state of politics in the US and other countries as well. Within the European Union, to ban entrance to the un-vaccinated beyond the current "emergency" situation would constitute a breach of current treaties, which require unanimous agreement to be modified...

But the thing is that, as concerns this particular virus, it just does not make sense. Hepatitis A and B kill among them over 1.5 million people every year in the world; more than the current death tool from Covid-19 this year. They have absolutely safe and tested vaccines that confer nearly lifelong protection. And still, across the world, their uptake is not much. There have been recent outbreaks in Eastern European countries and their governments did little on the vaccination side; simply because it wasn't on their political radar. We would save many more people in the world by ramping up the tried and tested vaccines that we have had in our arsenal for a long time; rather than giving everyone Covid vaccines.

One has to wonder for how long populism and ignorance will dictate public policy.

392335937_PhaseIIIefficacydatafromCOVID-19vaccines.thumb.jpg.3642904ea6a114c1f0643d27a4d6d2dd.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

Quite frankly, if there are vaccines available and people refuse purely because they don't like the idea and want to stay in their cocoon, not only should society's duty to protect cease, but, personally, I will not be participating in the voluntary assistance with shopping etc. that I did during lockdown for anyone refusing without genuine health reasons.  No way am I going to queue outside Tesco in the pissing rain, just because someone isn't going to do the "right thing". 

Wait a minute. Let's not get confused. One has a vaccine to protect themselves. Nobody else. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, snowman said:

and in this pandemic, where you can be asymptomatic, no symptoms and pass it on to others, you have a vaccine to also protect others

Yes, in a pandemic that nine months ago nobody new how to treat, or how it would affect mankind. Everything has changed since then. Mortality rate is now known to be small  and in known demographics. So vaccinate and protect them!!! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cambon said:

Yes, in a pandemic that nine months ago nobody new how to treat, or how it would affect mankind. Everything has changed since then. Mortality rate is now known to be small  and in known demographics. So vaccinate and protect them!!! 

Cambon: You have always been the one supporting the restrictions on this island. Since when you are so liberal as concerns covid?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, snowman said:

and in this pandemic, where you can be asymptomatic, no symptoms and pass it on to others, you have a vaccine to also protect others

Yes that's correct. But it's even more than that. Spread of infection follows a mathematically predictable rate that is the same (mathematically) as a chemical reaction.

The rate of a chemical reaction is proportional to the no of interactions and the concentration of reactants. For interaction and reactant substitute mobility of human movement and for reactants substitute infected people. For everyone that gets vaccinated, read one reactant removed  slowing the reaction.

Getting even more technical, infection is like a nuclear reaction in its exponential spread. The reaction between reactants produces more reactants which increases the rate of the reaction.....the spread of infection. So a vaccinated person becomes an inhibitor and this is the crucially important factor. Inhibitors get in the way of the spread a d slow it down inversely proportionately. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Yes that's correct. But it's even more than that. Spread of infection follows a mathematically predictable rate that is the same (mathematically) as a chemical reaction.

The rate of a chemical reaction is proportional to the no of interactions and the concentration of reactants. For interaction and reactant substitute mobility of human movement and for reactants substitute infected people. For everyone that gets vaccinated, read one reactant removed  slowing the reaction.

Getting even more technical, infection is like a nuclear reaction in its exponential spread. The reaction between reactants produces more reactants which increases the rate of the reaction.....the spread of infection. So a vaccinated person becomes an inhibitor and this is the crucially important factor. Inhibitors get in the way of the spread a d slow it down inversely proportionately. 

So, in layman's terms, the socially responsible thing to do is have the vaccine?

• Like 1

I'm a bit open minded about the whole Covid thing, which will probably change when it starts to affect me personally. I do know of several people, off the island, younger and a lot fitter than me who have contracted it, then had quite a hard time getting over it. Some seem to have long term exhaustion and been left very weak. They had no known underlying condition and wouldn't be in any high risk group. Mush as we think that we know who is vulnerable, it seems that we do not. Yes older people are bound to be vulnerable but it appears that like TB, Polio etc before, it looks as though we are going to need to accept the risks? 

10 hours ago, Hard Landing said:

Cambon: You have always been the one supporting the restrictions on this island. Since when you are so liberal as concerns covid?

Actually, from the start I was against all the lockdown and restrictions, and my thinking on that has never changed. However, now that we are in the situation we are in, coming out of it is a completely different issue. It has to be managed carefully. 

Two completely different things. 

• Like 1