IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

14 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

I admire your optimism but you cant polish an optimism. Or use an optimism after your name on letterheads. And i should know, been doing it for years. Im not giving up though.

You can attempt to polish a turd though.

1 hour ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here, call it a hunch, I don't know - maybe a gut feeling.

Do you think if we'd tested nearly 180,000 people we'd still be at 'zero community cases' ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here, call it a hunch, I don't know - maybe a gut feeling.

Do you think if we'd tested nearly 180,000 people we'd still be at 'zero community cases' ?

No, definitely not.

We'd have to import 100,000 people from the infected isles, and defo some of them would have the COVID.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

I'm sure you know better than to frame it like that, but I'll play a little.

Jersey seem to be doing around 1200 tests daily, so over 2 weeks say about 17000 tests. Adjusted for population that would be around 15000 here if we were matching it. They had as of Friday 200 active cases, I'm pretty sure if we had tested 15000 in the last two weeks it would have picked up some asymptomatic travellers, and maybe, just maybe a couple of 'community cases'. But nowhere near what they have got.

And you know that really, deep down, don't you.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Jersey seem to be doing around 1200 tests daily, so over 2 weeks say about 17000 tests. Adjusted for population that would be around 15000 here if we were matching it. They had as of Friday 200 active cases, I'm pretty sure if we had tested 15000 in the last two weeks it would have picked up some asymptomatic travellers, and maybe, just maybe a couple of 'community cases'. But nowhere near what they have got.

I don't know & neither can you because a decision was made (seemingly) against the advice of our scientific & medical experts to drop testing aside those who felt unwell (or felt unwell and could be arsed enough to dial 111).

I'm calling bullshit on this Covid free Nirvana Narnia.

Edited by Nom de plume

4 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

I don't know & neither can you because a decision was made (seemingly) against the advice of our scientific & medical experts to drop testing aside those who felt unwell (or felt unwell and could be arsed enough to dial 111).

Don't get me wrong, I think it is insane not to be doing more testing, especially to travellers. But we would know if there were a bunch of people out and about with covid, we'd know. Hopefully, and it mostly appears so, all arrivals are sticking to the rules. Wouldn't take many to screw it, they really should be testing more. Guernsey's day 13 test picked someone up today I read, it's been running for what, a week? Should be doing it also, or the 7, or better still both.

By the sounds of things a party in a hotel bar has caused a problem down Jersey, with no restrictions here it is easy to see how an outbreak could take place. Must have been nearly 2000 people in Castletown Square on Saturday night, and from the pictures Peel too for the light switch on. The pubs were packed after down here. I've not seen a news article recently of someone in trouble for breaking the rules, so it seems people are doing the right thing.

2 hours ago, Nom de plume said:

Yes we would still have zero. If it were here amongst us we'd sure as hell know about it without the need for testing

Edited by Happier diner
Typo

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Don't get me wrong, I think it is insane not to be doing more testing, especially to travellers. But we would know if there were a bunch of people out and about with covid, we'd know. Hopefully, and it mostly appears so, all arrivals are sticking to the rules. Wouldn't take many to screw it, they really should be testing more. Guernsey's day 13 test picked someone up today I read, it's been running for what, a week? Should be doing it also, or the 7, or better still both.

By the sounds of things a party in a hotel bar has caused a problem down Jersey, with no restrictions here it is easy to see how an outbreak could take place. Must have been nearly 2000 people in Castletown Square on Saturday night, and from the pictures Peel too for the light switch on. The pubs were packed after down here. I've not seen a news article recently of someone in trouble for breaking the rules, so it seems people are doing the right thing.

2000 people ? Was it dole day or something in Castletown?

There's clearly little or no covid here.  We would know given the mass gatherings. 8000 in Douglas apparently for the lights the other week.

In January I would like to see a better testing regime in place and more movement of people. Family as a minimum.  And business.  We definitely need to get that aspect moving (i wouldn't pay any attention to anyone that says face to face doesn't matter. Probably work in IT, Complaince or projects).

Edited by The Dog's Dangly Bits

6 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

I've been following Jersey with some interest.

They appear to be on the verge of being put back into lockdown.

https://www.itv.com/news/channel/2020-11-30/jerseys-chief-minister-last-chance-to-avoid-second-lockdown

8 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

I've been following Jersey with some interest.

They appear to be on the verge of being put back into lockdown.

https://www.itv.com/news/channel/2020-11-30/jerseys-chief-minister-last-chance-to-avoid-second-lockdown

A lot of us have. Some on here have been shouting loudly for months how great they are, others have been a bit more cautious. There's no doubt they've been braver in their approach, and sadly for them that bravery is now starting to hurt.

• Like 5