IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 hour ago, Mr Newbie said:

Many many locals and local businesses are struggling

It's important for the economy here that the border remains closed. 1 or 2 new cases and we will be back to lockdown - either officially or unofficially.

Confidence is key to getting retail and restaurants open.

Take it slowly and carefully is all I'm saying.

Edited by pongo

30 minutes ago, pongo said:

It's important for the economy here that the border remains closed. 1 or 2 new cases and we will be back to lockdown - either officially or unofficially.

I have to agree, confidence is everything at the moment. I went out to a restaurant tonight and had a fantastic meal, but lots of empty seats. People are not yet venturing out either through fear or maybe they are short of money. I enjoyed fantastic service and you could tell they were genuinely happy to greet customers. If you are able, get out and support your local businesses. The more people are out and about, the more confident others will become. I hated lockdown and what it has done to the economy and people’s psyche, but I concede it was necessary, albeit overly drawn out. The last vestage though, the closed borders, needs to stay until August and then gradually eased.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, pongo said:

You can tell the thinking of Comin, by the answer Skelly gave on work permits and the refusal to review relaxation of key areas.

The largest number of people on benefits since the 70/s, which was the one of the reasons for the implementation of work permits.

So instead they are looking for innovative ideas from his department members to get people back to work, while still trying to attract

people to the island.

So with Hooper ,Callister and Cain you can see this unemployment staying at high levels for a sometime, while they open up the boarders

to let people come here  to work.

The testing proposition on people coming to the island says it all, In two weeks, I think that will be given the green light.

Edited by Holte End

41 minutes ago, Holte End said:

You can tell the thinking of Comin, by the answer Skelly gave on work permits and the refusal to review relaxation of key areas.

The largest number of people on benefits since the 70/s, which was the one of the reasons for the implementation of work permits.

So instead they are looking for innovative ideas from his department members to get people back to work, while still trying to attract

people to the island.

Any plan in this environment which does not reinforce work permits and put the rights of the Manx workforce first is literal insanity. As you say if they can’t see how mass unemployment needs to be countered by creating preferred situations and priority initiatives for Manx workers they may as well give up. They should be cancelling work permits where they can and making it easier for people to return to the UK before they continue making it easier for people to come here to take jobs and opportunities off local workers. You worry if these people actually have any grasp on the local economy at all. 

• Like 2

NZ PM commenting on new cases as reported by BBC:

'This is a blow for a country which had such pride in getting down to zero cases of coronavirus for about a month. And from the PM, there was no attempt to play things down or to put any blame on the women involved.
“This represents an unacceptable failure of the system,” Ms Ardern said. “It should never have happened and cannot be repeated”.
An investigation is underway. A senior Army figure has been drafted in to oversee and review procedures for those arriving in New Zealand. And the policy allowing people to leave isolation or quarantine early on compassionate grounds has been suspended.
That, Ms Ardern said, was “hard and unpopular position to take“. But was also “the right one for our country”.
“I can’t afford to let the gains we have all made, be squandered by processes not being upheld,” the PM told the new conference.
“This is a growing pandemic, not a slowing pandemic. We have to be cautious.”

Perhaps we should expect a similar line to be taken here regarding compassionate travel.

1 hour ago, madmanxpilot said:

NZ PM commenting on new cases as reported by BBC:

'This is a blow for a country which had such pride in getting down to zero cases of coronavirus for about a month. And from the PM, there was no attempt to play things down or to put any blame on the women involved.
“This represents an unacceptable failure of the system,” Ms Ardern said. “It should never have happened and cannot be repeated”.
An investigation is underway. A senior Army figure has been drafted in to oversee and review procedures for those arriving in New Zealand. And the policy allowing people to leave isolation or quarantine early on compassionate grounds has been suspended.
That, Ms Ardern said, was “hard and unpopular position to take“. But was also “the right one for our country”.
“I can’t afford to let the gains we have all made, be squandered by processes not being upheld,” the PM told the new conference.
“This is a growing pandemic, not a slowing pandemic. We have to be cautious.”

Perhaps we should expect a similar line to be taken here regarding compassionate travel.

Why ? It’s 14 days isolation, in the case you quote they were let out after 3 with no tests. Should do tests on arrival as Shimmins says then again after 4 days

12 minutes ago, Golfer said:

Why ? It’s 14 days isolation, in the case you quote they were let out after 3 with no tests. Should do tests on arrival as Shimmins says then again after 4 days

Because there have been calls to allow people to come over for short duration visits on compassionate grounds without quarantine. I hope this news from NZ shows why, for the time being at least and difficult as it is, these visits  should continue to be prohibited.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pongo said:

The graph below are Covid-19 stats for London (from Wikipedia, just google “wikipedia covid-19 london”): both cases and fatalities are 1/100 of peak value; basically the virus is disappearing fast there. Stockholm, by the way, has very similar stats. The crude UK’s lockdown has achieved nothing in London and only delayed a bit the progression of the pandemic in the rest of the UK. Both in London and in Stockholm heard immunity has kicked in and stopped further spread of the infection.

The graph also shows what would have happened in the Isle of Man if the border had never closed: by now we would be (almost) through the whole thing and able to start forgetting about it. IOM government has traded a slight reduction in the short term number of number of Covid-19 casualties for a future that is just not viable in the current situation of being cut off from the ex-IOM part of the world.

Soon or later the border will have to fully reopen, and there will be a second Covid-19’s wave in the Isle of Man, because there has not been enough built up of heard immunity here. Unless a fully working vaccine comes along soon; which is seen by non-politically-biased immunologists as unlikely. There will be a vaccine eventually, but it won’t be a silver bullet and not soon enough anyway.

Meanwhile, the ReOpen tag has also be adopted by the European Union:
    https://reopen.europa.eu/en
It wasn’t such an immoral idea after all (nor that I love the EU).

If keeping the border close is what, for the time being, allows us the semblance of a more normal in isle, due to the zero tolerance of Covid-19 in respect to any other inconvenience and cost of the emergency measures, so be it. There will be a day of reckoning when the final balance sheet of the pandemic is drawn.

77047271_Covid-19inLondon17-Jun-20.jpg.edbadc0744d06edc738e42d9c9341126.jpg

1 hour ago, Black Mirror said:

Both in London and in Stockholm heard immunity has kicked in and stopped further spread of the infection.

Has Sweden’s controversial covid-19 strategy been successful? (BMJ)

tl;dr = no. And the London govt's approach has been a disaster too. 

Sweden recorded the most coronavirus deaths per capita in Europe in a seven day average between 25 May and 2 June. The country’s mortality rate was 5.29 deaths per million inhabitants a day (the UK ranked second with 4.48) according to Our World In Data,2 an online research publication based at the University of Oxford.

And what of herd immunity? An ongoing nationwide study conducted by the Public Health Agency of Sweden on 20 May found that just 7.3% of Stockholm residents had developed covid-19 antibodies by late April—and that was the largest number of positive results found in the country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Regarding restrictions what's happening at the supermarkets here. Are they still following the social distancing rules and are there queues in front of them.

Had to queue in the rain for around an hour at tesco the last time :-(

4 hours ago, Holte End said:

people to the island.

So with Hooper ,Callister and Cain you can see this unemployment staying at high levels for a sometime, while they open up the boarders

to let people come here  to work.

The testing proposition on people coming to the island says it all, In two weeks, I think that will be given the green light.

Have I missed the testing proposition? Is it something like this, paying for a test on arrival?

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/iceland-open-and-hoping-welcome-expedition-ships-summer?fbclid=IwAR13WZMnDoMjdANQNNeJi6AGg2152p0QRGKS4mFcHC58cZSmCNNSVRjIAHs

1 minute ago, mad_manx said:

Regarding restrictions what's happening at the supermarkets here. Are they still following the social distancing rules and are there queues in front of them.

Tesco are letting more people in and no social distancing, still got the one way system. Apparently they're dropping it all next week.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

While it's tough to describe Castletown's grocery stores as supermarkets, both the coop and shoprite have got rid of the queuing etc and you can just walk in.

Not the IoM bank though...

• Like 2