IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

19 minutes ago, Declan said:

But that wouldn't have been illegal. Why concoct an elaborate story involving jetskis and yomping over the mountain in a wetsuit if he was here all along and the truth would keep him out of jail.

Wouldn't it?  He was given permission to be here for four weeks in September so if you overstay, that is ok?

13 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

Quite a bizarre story even in covid times. I can understand his protecting of the girlfriend by saying she thought he was here working . The walking from ramsey to douglas bit i struggle with though

Does seem unlikely even as a surprise that she would just believe that he'd been isolating without contacting her.

12 hours ago, John Wright said:

I actually struggle with the idea of 4.5 hours on the jet ski more than walking from Ramsey to Douglas, especially at this time of year.

However it does show the police are cross checking with the cabinet office over who has, and who has not, permission to enter.

Call me cynical but it sounds more likely he’s entered on the steam packet hiding in a car boot or van or using the ID and permission of someone else.

Yeah, this.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Wouldn't it?  He was given permission to be here for four weeks in September so if you overstay, that is ok?

Why wouldn't it be? People from Scotland don't need permission to stay on the Isle of Man, in normal times. There's restrictions at the moment to prevent COVID transmission, but those would cease to apply in this case.

He'd be COVID free at the end of the period. I don't see why he couldn't elect at that moment to stay on the Island. What benefit is there to the Island in forcing him to leave?

33 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Happy 5 Day Quarantine news for UK residents.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-test-to-release-for-international-travel#scheme-start-date

Effective today.

So, despite the hospitals in the UK at tipping point & the NHS staff on the edge, Chris Witty, Sir Patrick Valance & Jonathan Van Tam are trusting enough of their residents to take measures & be sensible whilst abroad. They (the experts) believe the risk of a 5 day negative test to be worth taking,

Howard Quayle & David Ashford don’t because they know best.

Absolute joke we still don't have any guidance for the new year other than trotting out the same old lines.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

I don't disagree. In fact i agree. So why are they peddling this tripe? Why are they claiming to be "satisfied" there was no wider risk to the public? 

Hmmn, we went from one covid case to four over the weekend -

https://covid19.gov.im/general-information/latest-updates/

- without saying (they often do say) where the three new cases came from.

They might not have anything to do with it but then again, if some of the story is true it could be the guy, the girl and maybe an occupant of the house (perhaps a child?) if he was staying with her.

If she really was unaware he hadn't isolated, that could be her family having to isolate over Christmas now.

1 minute ago, Lxxx said:

Absolute joke we still don't have any guidance for the new year other than trotting out the same old lines.  

I’m afraid it is a joke now.

They do not trust the people who voted them in to travel & be sensible. That is what they are saying indirectly.

It shouldn’t be forgotten.

Just now, Nom de plume said:

They do not trust the people who voted them in to travel & be sensible. That is what they are saying indirectly.

It shouldn’t be forgotten.

It won't be...

10 hours ago, Gladys said:

Of course, the other alternative is that he never left the island when he was supposed to. 

Yeah, this does seem a little more likely, or possible harbored him illegally after he sneaked on the packet or a fishing boat and put the island at risk.

10 hours ago, Lxxx said:

His missus must be absolute dynamite between the sheets to risk possible death across a treacherous freezing stretch of water for hours on end and then a 15 mile walk just to see her.

I hope he was wearing a tuxedo under that wetsuit, to arrive any other way after that journey would be criminal.

Alternatively he might have given her the covid

10 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

But roofers aren't known for their caution and careful planning.

Can someone explain how a roofer is an essential worker? - unless he was working at the hospital or the power station.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lagman said:

Hmmn, we went from one covid case to four over the weekend -

https://covid19.gov.im/general-information/latest-updates/

- without saying (they often do say) where the three new cases came from.

They might not have anything to do with it but then again, if some of the story is true it could be the guy, the girl and maybe an occupant of the house (perhaps a child?) if he was staying with her.

If she really was unaware he hadn't isolated, that could be her family having to isolate over Christmas now.

He tested negative before leaving Scotland and was tested on arrest (before court ). So not a remote possibility.

They did say the people tested were already in isolation. So returning Manxies, compassionates or patient transfers.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

hHappy 5 Day Quarantine news for UK residents.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-test-to-release-for-international-travel#scheme-start-date

Effective today.

So, despite the hospitals in the UK at tipping point & the NHS staff on the edge, Chris Witty, Sir Patrick Valance & Jonathan Van Tam are trusting enough of their residents to take measures & be sensible whilst abroad. They (the experts) believe the risk of a 5 day negative test to be worth taking,

Howard Quayle & David Ashford don’t because they know best.

Given the uk is as bad as anywhere in the world there’s really little point in returning travellers quarantining any more than anybody else. Our situation is not comparable. If the UK experts were making the rules here, now, they’d be saying the same as us. 

• Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

It shouldn’t be forgotten

On the one hand we have to shoulder responsibility for own own health and on the other we have to abide by the rules. Just watched London Mayor on TH and the mixed messages from UK Government are quite bewildering.

It's all nudge, nudge, nudge without clear information about what is best.

Glad it isn't like that here.

11 minutes ago, Lagman said:

The three new covid cases might be him, her and maybe a family member for all we know. Wouldn't be very romantic giving your partner the Chinese lhergy.

Lots of people share coronaviruses this time of year. It's common. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wrighty said:

Given the uk is as bad as anywhere in the world there’s really little point in returning travellers quarantining any more than anybody else. Our situation is not comparable. If the UK experts were making the rules here, now, they’d be saying the same as us. 

Any reason why our experts are not allowing families to visit when Guernsey which is in same or better position than us allows families & friends to visit as long as they isolate?