IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

Just now, Roxanne said:

Back in Feb/March time I estimated the deaths in the USA alone to be one million. I kind of hoped I would be wrong but now I’m not so sure.

Korea today hitting their third wave with no hospital spaces available.

Is it time to start talking about the elephant in the room? 

Go on ........

We’re listening?

1 hour ago, Uhtred said:

I sincerely hope that I’m wrong but I believe that the UK Christmas ‘relaxation’ will lead to a total COVID shitshow in January. I rather suspect that the UK government believe so too, which is why the early mentions of a third lockdown are appearing today in the papers run by their right-leaning mates. 

SPositive cases will go down when the schools close and go up again when they open and go back. We are going to be in and out of lockdowns probably for the next couple of years in my opinion.

10 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

That this could end up wiping all of us out.. 

Just to clarify, I’m not sitting here wringing my hands and not being able to sleep. I’m not a bundle of neurosis over it but I think the possibility it needs to be aired. We’re all in the dark here - even the ‘experts’. Even you mate. 

Yeah it's not going to wipe us all out. 

20 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Just to clarify, I’m not sitting here wringing my hands and not being able to sleep. I’m not a bundle of neurosis over it but I think the possibility it needs to be aired. We’re all in the dark here - even the ‘experts’. Even you mate. 

Impossible when only 0.1% of uk population have died from it, the vast majority with underlying health issues and over 75 with average age 80 ie nearly the mortality age

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I am not sure that is likely, but I am increasingly thinking that it should no longer be suppressed as it is like plugging a volcano which will blow eventually, even harder.  We should still take hygiene precautions and protect those who are at risk of fatality, but the rest of the population should take their own chances based on their personal risk appetite. 

Controversial, I know, but we are not going to win this, better to accept a managed defeat. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, quilp said:

Excellent video.

"a party of 20 people responsible for 500 people in isolation." Astonishing...

But they must have got it from somewhere themselves. Was just wondering when it got out in to the wider community and exceeded testing and tracing capacity. 

Not going to plough back through all this thread. Off on the bus to Peel for a few Pints

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I am not sure that is likely, but I am increasingly thinking that it should no longer be suppressed as it is like plugging a volcano which will blow eventually, even harder.  We should still take hygiene precautions and protect those who are at risk of fatality, but the rest of the population should take their own chances based on their personal risk appetite. 

Controversial, I know, but we are not going to win this, better to accept a managed defeat. 

But haven't you always thought that?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Banker said:

Not entirely, several friends have been in Spain for a month in Alicante area , all bars & restaurants open until 11.30pm with curfew from 12 -5, Xmas Eve & NYE open until 1am. Weather is the best it ever been with warm sunshine in 20s throughout! Italy is a complete nightmare.

I’m not sure that’s true after the announcements this morning. There’s a national state of emergency, but each autonomous community has the right to impose its own restrictions. By early December everyone started a de-escalation programme. They’re now in reverse. So Catalonia has restaurants only open for breakfast and lunch with a 3 hour gap and no dinner. Night time curfew 22.00-06.00. Travel restricted to your own county except for limited exceptions. Valencia  ( Alicante ) has curfew at 23.00 to 05.00, no travel in or out of Valencia Autonomous community. And it’s 23.59 on 24/12, 31/12 and 6/1. Home gatherings limited to no more than 6 persons from two households.

Bulgaria has just closed all bars and restaurants until 31/1

7 minutes ago, Gladys said:

To a degree, but I thought the vaccine may change things.  It may still do, and should reduce the incidence of illness if not positive cases, but I am certain now that we should just crack on. 

Pretty much every employed public health expert anywhere is desperate for their country to get on top of it, it's governments terrified of the kick off and economists that are mostly resistant. You can tell from the diplomatic way Whitty has been talking for months that he's screaming behind the scenes, or the way Fauci talks.

How come the repeated warnings of people who's entire lives has been dedicated to the study of health can be so easily dismissed?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

I am increasingly thinking that it should no longer be suppressed

Thanks Gladys.  I suggested a gradual, controlled 'introduction' was the only solution to reduce the impact here when some semblance of normality returns - but was roundly attacked by the usual pitchfork and foil-helmet brigade.

• Like 1