IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

11 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

I suggested a gradual, controlled 'introduction' was the only solution to reduce the impact here when some semblance of normality returns... 

Aren't things more or less "normal"? We're able to go about our dailies without restriction, doesn't that have some semblance of normality? Or is it just the travel restrictions you're having a grumble about? What is it that needs a "gradual controlled introduction"? 

• Like 1

Why would a Doctor think that vaccinated people will not ‘carry’ the virus. Has there been a study result?

“Glasgow-based GP hasn't seen Island family since March

A Manx doctor based in Glasgow hopes the Isle of Man Government will allow those who've had the coronavirus vaccine to the visit the Island in the near future.

Dr Rebecca Vaughan hasn't seen her Island-based family since March due to border restrictions.

As a frontline worker, the former Laxey resident has already had her first dose of the Pfizer jab.

She believes it will make travel easier for Manx people based in the UK:”

Edited by Major Rushen
Typo

2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

That this could end up wiping all of us out.. 

It won't.  Why do you think that could happen? Most people don't get very ill with it, those that do generally recover.  I know several that have had it.  Could we all get it again and get it worse second time round? Highly unlikely, evidence suggests second infection is very rare, and usually milder.  Could it mutate to a more virulent form? Possibly, but those that have had it will still be immune, and a more virulent form generally means lower transmission, and we can relatively easily get the R of this one down to just over 1 with a bit of social distancing etc.

I can't see a likely armageddon situation with this.  More likely to be wiped out by an asteroid strike, and I don't worry about that either.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

I’m not sure that’s true after the announcements this morning. There’s a national state of emergency, but each autonomous community has the right to impose its own restrictions. By early December everyone started a de-escalation programme. They’re now in reverse. So Catalonia has restaurants only open for breakfast and lunch with a 3 hour gap and no dinner. Night time curfew 22.00-06.00. Travel restricted to your own county except for limited exceptions. Valencia  ( Alicante ) has curfew at 23.00 to 05.00, no travel in or out of Valencia Autonomous community. And it’s 23.59 on 24/12, 31/12 and 6/1. Home gatherings limited to no more than 6 persons from two households.

Bulgaria has just closed all bars and restaurants until 31/1

Yes just changed it, friends said they expected something to change but disappointing for local bars etc but still open all day until 10.30 so plenty of time to drink if you wish .

3 hours ago, wrighty said:

It won't.  Why do you think that could happen? Most people don't get very ill with it, those that do generally recover.  I know several that have had it.  Could we all get it again and get it worse second time round? Highly unlikely, evidence suggests second infection is very rare, and usually milder.  Could it mutate to a more virulent form? Possibly, but those that have had it will still be immune, and a more virulent form generally means lower transmission, and we can relatively easily get the R of this one down to just over 1 with a bit of social distancing etc.

I can't see a likely armageddon situation with this.  More likely to be wiped out by an asteroid strike, and I don't worry about that either.

Whooooa there wrighty. I respect your opinion on most things but aren't you forgetting the undisputed scientific facts here?

TJ had the virus at least twelvty times - and that was before it was even trendy.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Pretty much every employed public health expert anywhere is desperate for their country to get on top of it, it's governments terrified of the kick off and economists that are mostly resistant. You can tell from the diplomatic way Whitty has been talking for months that he's screaming behind the scenes, or the way Fauci talks.

How come the repeated warnings of people who's entire lives has been dedicated to the study of health can be so easily dismissed?

It depends on what you mean by getting on top of it.  It may offend our innate arrogance as a species, but perhaps we just have to accept that nature really does have the upper hand and live with it. 

3 hours ago, quilp said:

Aren't things more or less "normal"? We're able to go about our dailies without restriction, doesn't that have some semblance of normality? Or is it just the travel restrictions you're having a grumble about? What is it that needs a "gradual controlled introduction"? 

We are a little rock, we are living a normalish existence here but we cannot ignore what is going on elsewhere. Their 'solutions' have a direct impact here, and if they cannot manage it, then neither will we. 

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

Or realist?   Like I said above, sometimes it is better to accept defeat and plan for that than continue a hopeless war.

If I were a nurse or doctor I'd be cross about that kind of statement, and if the country I was working in decided that was the way to go I'd quit immediately.

4 hours ago, Major Rushen said:

Why would a Doctor think that vaccinated people will not ‘carry’ the virus. Has there been a study result?

“Glasgow-based GP hasn't seen Island family since March

A Manx doctor based in Glasgow hopes the Isle of Man Government will allow those who've had the coronavirus vaccine to the visit the Island in the near future.

Dr Rebecca Vaughan hasn't seen her Island-based family since March due to border restrictions.

As a frontline worker, the former Laxey resident has already had her first dose of the Pfizer jab.

She believes it will make travel easier for Manx people based in the UK:”

Her family are totally free to go an visit her in the UK and then isolate on their return. 

I keep hearing stories of people who think they've been banned from seeing family in the UK. It can't be further from the truth. The borders open for them to go to the UK and come back. 

• Like 3