IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

7 minutes ago, Banker said:

Assume you also don't want the c20/25 teachers visiting family in U.K. 

You keep making a lot of assumptions.

Right now not many people are going to be moving around an increasingly locked down UK either.

Only the stupid and selfish.

• Like 1

We all know that governments never tell the whole truth, so the only assumption you can reasonably make about the absolute panic of the last two days, both in the UK and EU, is that there must be significant scientific concern behind the scenes. Therefore, harsh as it may seem, a return to level 5 is the only sensible course of action. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

the only assumption you can reasonably make about the absolute panic of the last two days, both in the UK and EU, is that there must be significant scientific concern behind the scenes.

Speculation mounting that UK travellers to other countries will need vaccination certificates due to new strain fears.

On 12/18/2020 at 2:11 PM, wrighty said:

It won't.  Why do you think that could happen? Most people don't get very ill with it, those that do generally recover.  I know several that have had it.  Could we all get it again and get it worse second time round? Highly unlikely, evidence suggests second infection is very rare, and usually milder.  Could it mutate to a more virulent form? Possibly, but those that have had it will still be immune, and a more virulent form generally means lower transmission, and we can relatively easily get the R of this one down to just over 1 with a bit of social distancing etc.

I can't see a likely armageddon situation with this.  More likely to be wiped out by an asteroid strike, and I don't worry about that either.

The new strain is more transmissable apparently

Realistically, a move to level 5 is overkill. Whilst the situation in the UK is definitely getting worse, that's not the answer. Level 5 only really screws over the locals.

Prudently, we should be testing everyone coming out of their 14-day isolation. We have the capacity, and that would enable us to keep the borders open and keep the levels of freedom we have.

• Like 3

France stopping the freight has nothing to do with covid and more to do with brexit. 

This 'new strain' has been known about since September. A cynic might say it's simply a convenient excuse to cancel Christmas by Boris Johnson following some criticism

Lockdowns in the uk don't work because all areas have different rules. If they were really serious about it they would close everything schools shops borders and tell everyone to stay indoors. I'm sure tge amount gone on furlough could have been funnelled into the nhs to help them cope.

Also interesting that tge specially built nightengale hospitals are still lying empty.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

France stopping the freight has nothing to do with covid and more to do with brexit. 

This 'new strain' has been known about since September. A cynic might say it's simply a convenient excuse to cancel Christmas by Boris Johnson following some criticism

Lockdowns in the uk don't work because all areas have different rules. If they were really serious about it they would close everything schools shops borders and tell everyone to stay indoors. I'm sure tge amount gone on furlough could have been funnelled into the nhs to help them cope.

Also interesting that tge specially built nightengale hospitals are still lying empty.

Yes of course - as it explains why Canada and Turkey for starters have done it too. Nothing to do with the number of cases in the UK down south doubling in a week of course.

Duh.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, pongo said:

You keep making a lot of assumptions.

Right now not many people are going to be moving around an increasingly locked down UK either.

Only the stupid and selfish.

Because you never answer questions, if everyone is doing 14 days quarantine Whats the problem?

by the way it’s 30 teachers who will be banned if borders closed to all 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/up-to-30-high-school-teachers-working-from-home-in-january/

Edited by Banker

I don't 'do' farcebook so I wouldn't know. Your description of people wanting the borders tightened, and other restrictions as a, "mob" is indicative that you're wanting a relaxation of the current strategy. Would a relaxation solve anything, would it not increase the probability of transmission? 

• Like 1

Just now, quilp said:

I don't 'do' farcebook so I wouldn't know. Your description of people wanting the borders tightened, and other restrictions as a, "mob" is indicative that you're wanting a relaxation of the current strategy. Would a relaxation solve anything, would it not increase the probability of transmission? 

I dont think he's indicating a desire to relax.

But I don't see the point in changing right now. I personally DO see the point in adding a 'release' test at day 13 ala Guernsey.