IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

On 6/19/2020 at 8:40 PM, Mr Newbie said:

There was private jet up from Jersey the other day. 

Indeed,  private healthcare bods wineing and dining around the island for a couple of days before heading back unhindered its just us plebs who have to play by the rules!

Edited by finlo

https://covid19.gov.im/media/1287/stay-responsible.pdf

I was just reading the plans for future actions should covid makes a reappearance on the island. It is good to see the government response clearly signposted, however personally I have find the proposals lacking, both in imagination and practically.

Assume that Covid does come back, as I expect it will later in the year when border restrictions are lifted. Their stated ultimate response is to essentially mirror the lockdown that we have just been through. I had thought that given what we have learnt about the virus, its virulence amongst sections of the population and how best to treat it, and also the fact that our NHS is now better geared up to deal with it, that we would deal with another outbreak in a more targeted manner than ultimately going into another full lockdown. 

I have to assume that the government considered plans such as shielding the known vulnerable, whilst exposing the rest of the population to a calculated risk of catching the virus...All I do know is, in the absence of a vaccine and when borders inevitably reopen we will continue to have outbreaks, and I  struggle to see how potentially subjecting the economy to continued lockdowns over an extended period is a sustainable plan. I do appreciate that people will argue that there are lower response levels with less severe restrictions, but as soon as you reintroduce any social distancing in a business for example, the impacts both financial and psychological are quite dramatic. 

My personal opinion is that we need to accept that covid is here to stay, and that other than looking after the vulnerable, living and operating under the threat of potential restrictions is both unnecessary and damaging. For business it will be a major disincentive to investment, and to the general populace it is a cloud hanging over them rather than a comfort. Just my view.

My medical head has been dying to say this for months - I don't see why the world as a whole couldn't come to a consensus to just shut down entirely for 2-4 weeks. Every country, same time, global rules i.e. the economies don't have to stop, but they must work from home no if's or buts.

Seems like a more sensible global eradication plan than all this disjointed thinking globally and economic pressures to re-open countries.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

My medical head has been dying to say this for months - I don't see why the world as a whole couldn't come to a consensus to just shut down entirely for 2-4 weeks. Every country, same time, global rules i.e. the economies don't have to stop, but they must work from home no if's or buts.

Seems like a more sensible global eradication plan than all this disjointed thinking globally and economic pressures to re-open countries.

Because different countries are at different stages ,why would New Zealand lock down with minimal cases because the idiots in USA have a massive rise in cases 

• Like 1