IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

12 hours ago, John Wright said:

In a vaccination programme that’s going to run, realistically, for the whole of 21/22, 730 days, to get everyone, who wants it, covered, a slight slippage of 14 days, actually significantly  less than that with Xmas and New Year holidays and weekends taken out, isn’t going to make any difference.

It won’t make any difference to any old folk, this Christmas, or next.

The big thing affecting the island is inward travel restrictions. Our vaccination levels won’t affect that. That’s dictated by infection levels in the UK, which will probably fall seasonally and naturally in late Spring and summer, hastened slightly by vaccination. 

Hopefully vaccination may stop the 2021/22 autumn and winter seasonal rise.

Its OK saying that but if you are one of the ones who gets it 2 weeks before you could have had it then it won't seem such a good idea to have been so tardy then will it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Its OK saying that but if you are one of the ones who gets it 2 weeks before you could have had it then it won't seem such a good idea to have been so tardy then will it

It’s wholly irrelevant to the IOM circumstances and risk profile.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Yeah thats a tricky one. They have to take the day from their annual leave as I understand it

Rather than start their contract a day later and leaving them free to use the holiday day at a moment of their choosing.

That's rule made up by someone who left school and joined the CS and has never had to temp or take contracts or move employers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

It’s wholly irrelevant to the IOM circumstances and risk profile.

How do you work that out?

Lets assume I am 55. If they had started 2 weeks ago I would maybe have been due 15th June. We are already 2 weeks behind. It takes 3 weeks to be fully effective. So if I go on holiday at the end of June to the UK, contract it and die. If they had been on time I would have lived

14 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

How do you work that out?

Lets assume I am 55. If they had started 2 weeks ago I would maybe have been due 15th June. We are already 2 weeks behind. It takes 3 weeks to be fully effective. So if I go on holiday at the end of June to the UK, contract it and die. If they had been on time I would have lived

It takes at least 3 weeks to get dose 2. The WHO recommend 4. And it’s not fully effective immediately after dose 2. Say 6 weeks. So you wouldn’t be safe at end of June anyway.

But you know the timings in your example. If you choose to take the risk unvaccinated and go that’s down to you. You could always put it off a fortnight. I’m sorry you can’t see in your example that it would be down to you.

My description of the fact of a slightly later start to a vaccination programme likely to run for 2 years in an environment with no community transmission and secure borders which protect the elderly and vulnerable is wholly correct.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

It takes at least 3 weeks to get dose 2. The WHO recommend 4. And it’s not fully effective immediately after dose 2. Say 6 weeks. So you wouldn’t be safe at end of June anyway.

But you know the timings in your example. If you choose to take the risk unvaccinated and go that’s down to you. You could always put it off a fortnight. I’m sorry you can’t see in your example that it would be down to you.

My description of the fact of a slightly later start to a vaccination programme likely to run for 2 years in an environment with no community transmission and secure borders which protect the elderly and vulnerable is wholly correct.

If your theory was right then why not just leave it another couple of months. What if I was an old person and the virus came back on the island and I hadn't been vaccinated.....but I could have if they could be bothered to get their fingers out.

6 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

If your theory was right then why not just leave it another couple of months. What if I was an old person and the virus came back on the island and I hadn't been vaccinated.....but I could have if they could be bothered to get their fingers out.

It’s not a theory. It’s practical and pragmatic. It’s the same as the speed limit argument over the mountain. The difference between 50 and 70 is marginal. De minimis. We are talking 7 working days lost. No vaccinations at weekends, or bank holidays.  The health workers, and very old, and vulnerable will be vaccinated either Easter week if they’d started on Monday or the week after if they start the 4th January. You’re the one making up imaginary 2 months. I’m pointing out that the delay long term is a week. Not two. And that in a programme lasting 2 years it’s less than 1%.

30 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It’s not a theory. It’s practical and pragmatic. It’s the same as the speed limit argument over the mountain. The difference between 50 and 70 is marginal. De minimis. We are talking 7 working days lost. No vaccinations at weekends, or bank holidays.  The health workers, and very old, and vulnerable will be vaccinated either Easter week if they’d started on Monday or the week after if they start the 4th January. You’re the one making up imaginary 2 months. I’m pointing out that the delay long term is a week. Not two. And that in a programme lasting 2 years it’s less than 1%.

If it's just a week then it won't seem so bad. Just seems strange that researchers have been breaking their necks to develop vaccines and then people working hard to get the thing approved. We get all excited that we manage to get some to the island.......and then traa dy liooar let's not bother rushing and start in the new year.  

• Confused 1