IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

I would certainly not support the opening of the border as soon as mid-July. Various relaxation measures come into effect in England on 4/7 and sufficient time is required to assess how the infection rates may respond to those changes. I would suggest at least a month. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Golfer said:

Ashie said that paper setting out border opening will be published this week and it will give guidance on how borders will be opened in stages, I'm guessing mid July for residents to be able to travel and come back to certain areas like Ireland.

Guernsey also do trial starting 7/07 for test after 7 days isolation and if negative you get released https://guernseypress.com/news/2020/06/23/condor-to-run-two-sailings-from-the-uk-in-early-july/

so every jurisdiction moving on and IOM needs to do same and stop pandering to a few old worriers.

Go now...Go now

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

I would certainly not support the opening of the border as soon as mid-July. Various relaxation measures come into effect in England on 4/7 and sufficient time is required to assess how the infection rates may respond to those changes. I would suggest at least a month. 

I'm with you 100% sister. When the grockles come down to their holiday homes I'll be staying far away from them.

1 hour ago, Golfer said:

Ashie said that paper setting out border opening will be published this week and it will give guidance on how borders will be opened in stages, I'm guessing mid July for residents to be able to travel and come back to certain areas like Ireland.

Guernsey also do trial starting 7/07 for test after 7 days isolation and if negative you get released https://guernseypress.com/news/2020/06/23/condor-to-run-two-sailings-from-the-uk-in-early-july/

so every jurisdiction moving on and IOM needs to do same and stop pandering to a few old worriers.

More like the only ones who want the borders open are a few snowflakes who want a summer jollyday. Poor little sweeties. How dare that nasty virus affect you!

• Haha 2

I don’t think Comin are under that much pressure to open the borders. Holiday makers have pretty much written off going away for a summer holiday, this year and all he is hearing is “keep the borders closed”. I am sure we will manage without Mallorca for a few months. Travel for business and other non leisure reasons is likely to be different. If I was a betting man I would put money on a phased approach, such as the implementation of essential business/non leisure travel by mid to late July. I am betting on leisure travel commencing in some manner a month after.

It will definitely be a phased approach - that’s been the approach to everything so far, it’s been right to now, and I think it’s right this time. If the government have half the population upset because they’re moving too quickly, and half upset because they should just bloody get on with it, they’re probably doing ok. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

If the government have half the population upset because they’re moving too quickly, and half upset because they should just bloody get on with it, they’re probably doing ok. 

I doubt it's half and half though. Apart from a few oddball blowhards here I've not heard anyone calling for an end to border controls. Business and retail especially is pleased to be back at work and knows full well that any new cases would mean people staying at home.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, pongo said:

I doubt it's half and half though. Apart from a few oddball blowhards here I've not heard anyone calling for an end to border controls. Business and retail especially is pleased to be back at work and knows full well that any new cases would mean people staying at home.

You obviously don’t get out much from isolation, but lots of business people particularly in hospitality sector want borders open

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Golfer said:

You obviously don’t get out much from isolation, but lots of business people particularly in hospitality sector want borders open

Oh yes. That miniscule part of the hospitality sector which depends upon visitors. What percent of GDP would you estimate that represents? Less than 1%? As much as 2%?

• Like 1