IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

Lest some of us in "Brig-a-fucking-doon" forget:

Covid: UK surge in cases an 'extreme concern

I am not sure I can be persuaded that this is little different than the usual flu surge each year.

Try me.

Edited by Barlow

Serious question. If the criteria for opening our borders is a UK infection rate of 20 per 100,000 and the vaccine doesn’t prevent transmission, rather lessens the severity of illness if COVID 19 is contracted by the vaccinated person, what hope have we of ever having our border restrictions completely lifted? Or have I totally misunderstood the vaccine? 

7 minutes ago, Itsmeee said:

Serious question. If the criteria for opening our borders is a UK infection rate of 20 per 100,000 and the vaccine doesn’t prevent transmission, rather lessens the severity of illness if COVID 19 is contracted by the vaccinated person, what hope have we of ever having our border restrictions completely lifted? Or have I totally misunderstood the vaccine? 

I reckon you have misunderstood the vaccine. Vaccines work by teaching the body an immune response. Whether or not it prevents transmission is NOT KNOWN. It is not true that we know it does not prevent transmission, just that the medics are not sure that it does just yet. All other vaccines in history did so chance is it will but we will see.

When we are vaccinated, virus still invade our system. However they do not establish themselves because our immune system attacks them and kills them off.

• Like 1

It's a good question, Itsmeee. A very difficult one, that must be getting pondered over by our Government.

There's a shit storm going on in UK and the rest of the world just now.

Whatever happens the IoM has got to keep its position of safety. Ashie keeps telling people (even before they ask) that he is a very cautious person: "You know me Paul, I am a very cautious person by mature".

Some might translate that as 'well you know me Paul, I'm a bit thick', but whatever, I feel that any shortcomings of our leaders perceived or real, are working to the Island's advantage and wellbeing just now.

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

IMO this is different to the usual flu surge each year. Is that a good try?

Yep.

It's just the other day someone posted three links to headlines from the past few years showing that hospitals are always inundated this time of year.

32 minutes ago, Barlow said:

I am not sure I can be persuaded that this is little different than the usual flu surge each year.

Try me.

If we had only a small percentage of the current 20,000 reported NHS Covid bed cases, our facilities would be overwhelmed. Let alone the 53,000 new infections recorded in the last 24hrs which will undoubtedly cause the bed cases to further rise in the near future. It's not about keeping it totally out which is a pipe dream..it's about keeping it manageable.

Edited by Non-Believer
extra bit
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

If we had only a small percentage of the current 20,000 reported NHS Covid bed cases, our facilities would be overwhelmed. Let alone the 53,000 new infections recorded in the last 24hrs which will undoubtedly cause the bed cases to further rise in the near future. It's not about keeping it totally out which is a pipe dream..it's about keeping it manageable.

I have an idea. We could vaccinate our old and vulnerable. That would give them protection from the effects of the virus. Then we could gradually open our borders and be able to travel again. We could start this straight away and then be nearer that point. 

Oh, just remembered, we haven't bothered to be arsed so no nearer our nirvana.

Signed

Karen

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I have an idea. We could vaccinate our old and vulnerable. That would give them protection from the effects of the virus. Then we could gradually open our borders and be able to travel again. We could start this straight away and then be nearer that point. 

Signed

Karen

What about the percentage of younger generations who are severely affected by Covid? For IoM, say 250 patients if it got over here and spread? What would we do with them all? Big tent at Vaga's rugby pitch?

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

What about the percentage of younger generations who are severely affected by Covid? For IoM, say 250 patients if it got over here and spread? What would we do with them all? Big tent at Vaga's rugby pitch?

I don't believe there is a plan to ever vaccinate them, now or in the future. Could be wrong but isn't the plan to only go down to 30plus.

I understand your point but I think this is a different arguement. 

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

Try me.

I don't think that typically, people are being routed 65+ miles to hospitals that can take them, or trusts come out admitting that they have 0 non-invasive ventilation units.

The ICU capacity they're now pushing isn't the ICU capacity that is shared with flu etc. It's the stuff that's been tacked on where wards have been turned into extra ICUs, using short-term ventilators to keep patients propped up, with non critical care staff being dumped on the job. https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/dec/29/christmas-patients-coronavirus-intensive-care?

35 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Signed

Karen

The real issue, and the issue they're finding now is that COVID19 won't kill you, but you'll be significantly in need of medical attention for quite some time. That's why despite lower admissions, hospital numbers are on a steady rise. People aren't dying and freeing up the beds. But they would be if they didn't have the hospital beds.

The real risk now is moving towards a point where people can't get treated for other conditions. One hospital in SE London was having oxygen supply issues because it wasn't build to have so many people hooked up to the central pipes.