IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

41 minutes ago, Golfer said:

Not planning on going to Australia just U.K. To see immediate family who we haven't seen since lockdown.

Just go then. Hopefully you’ll not return

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

The only people who want the borders open right now are covid-deniers and selfish pricks. We'll get there when we get there. Manx people should understand that.

I’m not Manx but definitely agree with that 100%

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

The only people who want the borders open right now are covid-deniers and selfish pricks. We'll get there when we get there. Manx people should understand that.

Interesting phrase "covid-denier", like "climate change denier". I don't consider myself to be either, rather a realist.  We have both, and equally we need to live with both adapt and accept risks. I see no great sense in perpetual lockdown/isolation. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, NoTail said:

Interesting phrase "covid-denier", like "climate change denier". I don't consider myself to be either, rather a realist.  We have both, and equally we need to live with both adapt and accept risks. I see no great sense in perpetual lockdown/isolation. 

Fully agree. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, NoTail said:

I don't see any sense in perpetual lockdown/isolation either, but I also don't see the point in rushing things. Especially if that rush is for holidays away. We've got one defense for now, we may as well continue to use it for the time being. The UK is improving, but not enough yet to make those risks acceptable. In my view.

And the covid-denier line, well, there are a lot of people out there who think this is all a load of bollocks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NoTail said:

Unless I am missing some posts, I don't think anyone is championing permanent lockdown or isolation. On a personal level I want everything to get back to normal as quickly as possible but also appreciate that if and when borders reopen cases will reappear. This will lead to fear and behaviour change amongst the populous and maybe another lockdown. I want to have a couple of months where the island returns to internal normality, where people are not scared of their own shadows and in which the majority of businesses can get themselves going again. Once that has happened (August???), hopefully we can start travelling again. Just to be clear I am not risk averse, have never been particularly concerned by the virus and would travel away tomorrow if I could, but I know that there are many others who are scared or vulnerable and their views count too.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Golfer said:

Well piss off back to where you’re from then and stop telling Manx people to go, typical come over!!

Without the likes of me, you’d still be eating ‘taters and Herrin’ and having sex with your sister :thumbsup:

Edited by Neil Down

You border closers - come over or otherwise- do realise we need to be careful economically with that right?

We have a problem now. Jersey has 5 active cases and is opening up, but the people of Jersey are just like us here that want the borders to stay shut.

But I also understand and respect that if we stay shut longer than the CI's or Malta or Gib or these other places then we will economically lag behind and currently we are attractive to businesses, that will change if other jurisdictions are accessible and we aren't...

Its a fine balance managing clinical advice versus the economic situation. I'm all for keeping em shut for now until some second waves have settled, but give us some bubbles and options to travel a little bit at least.

2 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

You border closers - come over or otherwise- do realise we need to be careful economically with that right?

We have a problem now. Jersey has 5 active cases and is opening up, but the people of Jersey are just like us here that want the borders to stay shut.

But I also understand and respect that if we stay shut longer than the CI's or Malta or Gib or these other places then we will economically lag behind and currently we are attractive to businesses, that will change if other jurisdictions are accessible and we aren't...

Its a fine balance managing clinical advice versus the economic situation. I'm all for keeping em shut for now until some second waves have settled, but give us some bubbles and options to travel a little bit at least.

Explain the problem with keeping the borders closed until say the end of August?

4 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Explain the problem with keeping the borders closed until say the end of August?

Its an economic nightmare beyond August in my opinion. I think after end of August is a sweet spot we can deal with.

UK is likely to open up with a Schengen corridor. Malta is opening up. Jersey opening up in July. Guernsey likely to open up shortly after that.

If we are too far behind these jurisdictions we see as our 'competitors' then they will become more appealing for new business over us, further denting our chances of economic resurgence. Its a problem that needs to be really well managed, but I don't trust our lot to do it properly.

Edited by NoTailT
  • Like 2