IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

High I'd say as have had a bad feeling about all this for a week or more

Ah, that well proven, faultless basis for policy formulation.  You'd probably fly 'by the seat of your pants' too.  If crystal-ball gazing is in there with your 'bad feelings' I need tonight's lottery numbers.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Sensationalist headlines, they’ve already identified the close contacts who are isolating, we don’t need to have several hundred non close contacts isolating and the calls for a lockdown are ridiculous.

There was a positive case on the boat Sunday but there’s no calls for everyone on the boat including crew to be quarantined!!

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Banker said:

Sensationalist headlines, they’ve already identified the close contacts who are isolating, we don’t need to have several hundred non close contacts isolating and the calls for a lockdown are ridiculous.

There was a positive case on the boat Sunday but there’s no calls for everyone on the boat including crew to be quarantined!!

Little bit different on the boat. Staff wearing masks etc

The 1886 element is the biggest concern I'd say. 3 hours of prime close contacts, even if mostly brief moments. I'm not convinced that the 15mins within 2 metres is enough with the new strain being more transmissible.

The failure to work with @rachomics means we won't know for several days if the index is with the new strain.

5 minutes ago, Banker said:

But don't you have to wear masks and socially distance coming home on the boat? That's a far cry from hanging out in a packed pub for a few hours. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaymann said:

I note from Facebook that Harbour Lights has had to close because a staff member was present at 1886 in the times allocated and 111 unable to provide them advice on how to handle it.

Hasn’t had to close. It’s chosen, voluntarily, to close until staff who have had contact with one staff member who was present at 1886, but may very well  not have had any contact with the index case.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jaymann said:

I'm not convinced that the 15mins within 2 metres is enough with the new strain being more transmissible.

I'm not convinced it ever was. 

There are too many variables involved and as a rule of thumb it is just saying life as more-or-less normal.

1 minute ago, Zarley said:

But don't you have to wear masks and socially distance coming home on the boat? That's a far cry from hanging out in a packed pub for a few hours. 

Yes but as already mentioned in reports they have traced close contacts, so unless you were standing next to the guy for a while you’re highly unlikely to catch it and after 15/16 days of incubation the viral load should be low.

3 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Hasn’t had to close. It’s chosen, voluntarily, to close until staff who have had contact with one staff member who was present at 1886, but may very well  not have had any contact with the index case.

The track and trace app will tel them if they had close contact or not - oh wait!

Also, lots of comments about 1886 and "young people"  plenty of oldies in there whenever I go in.  Especially in the day tines and loads of over 50s in the evenings 

Assuming one of the two positives caught it off the other, it’s likely that only one (the symptomatic one) was contagious - the other presumably brought it over and by the time he was tested was still PCR positive but probably not infectious - that doesn’t persist beyond 10 days. 

So we have one case.  R, in the wild, is about 2.5. I doubt this guy is a ‘super-spreader’ otherwise more of his 8 contacts would test positive. 

We might just get lucky. But if not, and it’s circulating amongst the 1886 crowd, it could take weeks to surface as they’re largely young and won’t be symptomatic. 

To early for lockdown, but would it be too difficult to track and test/advise self-isolation for all in 1886 that night? Someone else suggested via card purchases. Worth a thought...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, wrighty said:

To early for lockdown, but would it be too difficult to track and test/advise self-isolation for all in 1886 that night? Someone else suggested via card purchases. Worth a thought...

The fact we are even having that thought process is abysmal.   I am amazed more people aren't questioning where the track and trace capability is.  Even Boris has managed to get that in place.

We have two phone networks, a small island and a compliant population which includes a lot of software and telecoms experts.

This should have been a doddle, hell we should have been trialing the tech here and seeing it to the rest if the world months ago.

• Like 2