IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

8 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

You border closers - come over or otherwise- do realise we need to be careful economically with that right?

We have a problem now. Jersey has 5 active cases and is opening up, but the people of Jersey are just like us here that want the borders to stay shut.

But I also understand and respect that if we stay shut longer than the CI's or Malta or Gib or these other places then we will economically lag behind and currently we are attractive to businesses, that will change if other jurisdictions are accessible and we aren't...

Its a fine balance managing clinical advice versus the economic situation. I'm all for keeping em shut for now until some second waves have settled, but give us some bubbles and options to travel a little bit at least.

As I posted earlier, I suspect they will allow restricted & monitored travel for essential business or other logistical reasons, and I think it will happen reasonably soon. I just can't see us packing our budgie smugglers any time before mid August.

2 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Its an economic nightmare beyond August in my opinion. I think after end of August is a sweet spot we can deal with.

UK is likely to open up with a Schengen corridor. Malta is opening up. Jersey opening up in July. Guernsey likely to open up shortly after that.

If we are too far behind these jurisdictions we see as our 'competitors' then they will become more appealing for new business over us, further denting our chances of economic resurgence. Its a problem that needs to be really well managed, but I don't trust our lot to do it properly.

I would suggest that keeping them shut until the end of August would be ideal. We have no tourism to lose. Businesses on the island can video conference. Lots of businesses we deal with world wide actually admire the Island for keeping the borders closed.

1 minute ago, Out of the blue said:

As I posted earlier, I suspect they will allow restricted & monitored travel for essential business or other logistical reasons, and I think it will happen reasonably soon. I just can't see us packing our budgie smugglers any time before mid August.

What would you class as essential business though?

2 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

I would suggest that keeping them shut until the end of August would be ideal. We have no tourism to lose. Businesses on the island can video conference. Lots of businesses we deal with world wide actually admire the Island for keeping the borders closed.

They do admire it. But if they cant get here to do business but they can to other successful jurisdictions such as Malta or Guernsey, the argument fails.

Zoom isn't the future, I tell you now. Everyone I speak to is back in to stacked face to face meetings already. They're all talking about and planning visiting respective industry events later this year or early next year, its all business as usual and I think other than the ineffective travel between here and CIs by the banks, we will see biz travel pick up nicely again.

7 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

They do admire it. But if they cant get here to do business but they can to other successful jurisdictions such as Malta or Guernsey, the argument fails.

Zoom isn't the future, I tell you now. Everyone I speak to is back in to stacked face to face meetings already. They're all talking about and planning visiting respective industry events later this year or early next year, its all business as usual and I think other than the ineffective travel between here and CIs by the banks, we will see biz travel pick up nicely again.

Nothing compares to real face to face meetings but whilst there is an element of uncertainty, Zoom is adequate

6 minutes ago, HeliX said:

How much business is actually being damaged by the borders being "shut"? Genuine question, I'm in an unaffected role.

A lot. A friend in DfE told me of one new gaming company that moved here in January was due to relocate 70 staff here and then create a further 120 local jobs and now its all up in the air. They have 2 local staff in the office and no sign of being able to get their other staff over any time soon.

Edited by NoTailT
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

A lot. A friend in DfE told me of one new gaming company that moved here in January was due to relocate 70 staff here and then create a further 120 local jobs and now its all up in the air. They have 2 local staff in the office and no sign of being able to get their other staff over any time soon.

That must be a fairly unusual situation though? I don't imagine that many companies will have been trying to move here just as coronavirus hit. 120 jobs out of 83,000 people doesn't seem super significant (except to those 120 people of course).

1 minute ago, HeliX said:

That must be a fairly unusual situation though? I don't imagine that many companies will have been trying to move here just as coronavirus hit. 120 jobs out of 83,000 people doesn't seem super significant (except to those 120 people of course).

I mean, apparently their global revenues were like $18bn so pretty good to have here?

That size is probably unusual and let's be honest... we really need those 120 jobs right now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NoTailT said:

I mean, apparently their global revenues were like $18bn so pretty good to have here?

That size is probably unusual and let's be honest... we really need those 120 jobs right now.

How much corporate tax would they pay on that? ;)

I don't think 120 potential jobs is worth taking the risk of opening the borders over. Obviously there may be other instances of loss of income but are they significant?

18 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I don't think 120 potential jobs is worth taking the risk of opening the borders over. Obviously there may be other instances of loss of income but are they significant?

When we have unemployment where its at and a stagnated economy, yes it is significant. All of it is. 5 jobs, 10 jobs, 120 jobs.

Let them in. Quarantine them. Then crack on with the growth if you must.

19 minutes ago, HeliX said:

They will pay gsming duty and pay well for those jobs.

We will need to replace the Stars jobs as they go.  Very naive to think otherwise.

1 minute ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

They will pay gsming duty and pay well for those jobs.

We will need to replace the Stars jobs as they go.  Very naive to think otherwise.

There doesn't appear to be a shortage of available jobs on the Island from what I can see?