IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

Just now, HeliX said:

There doesn't appear to be a shortage of available jobs on the Island from what I can see?

Then you're living in your own bubble.

If you can't see the employment pandemic we have going on, get yourself to Specsavers tomorrow.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HeliX said:

It might look like a lot, but it won't service the new 1800 unemployed (not fact checked) and the other however many thousands on MERA.

Once this salary support scheme ends, watch the redundancies boom. Lots of consulations going on all over right now.

Edited by NoTailT

Just now, NoTailT said:

It might look like a lot, but it won't service the new 1800 unemployed (not fact checked) and the other however many thousands on MERA.

Once this salary support scheme ends, watch the redundancies boom. Lots of consulations going on all over right now.

I'd love a source for the figures if you've got one. Not sarcastic, despite how it sounds.

3 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I'd love a source for the figures if you've got one. Not sarcastic, despite how it sounds.

OK I slightly inflated unemployed it seems - https://www.gov.im/about-the-government/departments/cabinet-office/economic-affairs-division/unemployment/#:~:text=Isle of Man Labour Market&text=The unemployment rate for May,notified to the Job Centre.

• The unemployment rate for May 2020 is 3.0%, which is an decrease of 0.1% from the previous month April 2020. The unemployment rate is the proportion of economically active population registered unemployed.
  • During the month, 233 job vacancies were notified to the Job Centre.

MERA as per https://covid19.gov.im/businesses/funding-support/manx-earnings-replacement-allowance-mera/ supports those laid off due to COVID and NOT included in the unemployment figure. Per https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/mera-supports-2051-people-costs-1-84million/ at that time it supported over 2000 people.

Further quotes 11k people supported by salary support scheme. When that ends I wonder how many of those jobs will go..

Edited by NoTailT
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NoTailT said:

Further quotes 11k people supported by salary support scheme. When that ends I wonder how many of those jobs will go..

That's the bit people should be worried about. 1000 people on the dole has been seen before here, fairly recently too, and handled ok. How many firms have kept their staff on but are going to lay them off when it ends? I reckon thats going to happen a lot in the UK, which was a more generous scheme, and could well be seen as the most expensive unemployment scheme ever.

Just now, NoTailT said:

OK I slightly inflated unemployed it seems - https://www.gov.im/about-the-government/departments/cabinet-office/economic-affairs-division/unemployment/#:~:text=Isle of Man Labour Market&text=The unemployment rate for May,notified to the Job Centre.

• The unemployment rate for May 2020 is 3.0%, which is an decrease of 0.1% from the previous month April 2020. The unemployment rate is the proportion of economically active population registered unemployed.
  • During the month, 233 job vacancies were notified to the Job Centre.

MERA as per https://covid19.gov.im/businesses/funding-support/manx-earnings-replacement-allowance-mera/ supports those laid off due to COVID and NOT included in the unemployment figure. Per https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/mera-supports-2051-people-costs-1-84million/ at that time it supported over 2000 people.

I suppose it's a question of balance, and one I'm glad I'm not responsible for. I don't know when I'd personally open the borders. It's also not clear how many jobs opening the borders would bring back/create...

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

That's the bit people should be worried about. 1000 people on the dole has been seen before here, fairly recently too, and handled ok. How many firms have kept their staff on but are going to lay them off when it ends? I reckon thats going to happen a lot in the UK, which was a more generous scheme, and could well be seen as the most expensive unemployment scheme ever.

Indeed. Prime example: https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/business-52450850

I know of companies here that have claimed the 280/week for staff to keep them 'employed' but not topped up their salary and its known all too well that chunks of jobs will go especially in the financial services sectors.

3 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I suppose it's a question of balance, and one I'm glad I'm not responsible for. I don't know when I'd personally open the borders. It's also not clear how many jobs opening the borders would bring back/create...

it doesn't need a blanket opening. It needs dispensations to allow business to relocate here with borders still closed. Itll go a damn lot further than a blanket closure.

How appealing is that? We'll help you move here to our border closed COVID free island. Keep your business staff and families safe.

Edited by NoTailT
  • Like 2

I am taking bets for when we will see the next coronavirus case in the Isle of Man.

In Beijing they are having an outbreak that the authorities think originated at a market from frozen fish imported from outside China. Some city blocks there have been sealed. The border closure cannot be sustained indefinitely and, in any case, it may fail.

There is also the issue of what the IOM government will do about it, when it will happen. Full blown lockdown again? Have you heard of any plans from them?

Here is the crux of the matter: in the US, in the densely populated states of the west coast (New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania) where the pandemic already ran its course, heard immunity has kicked in and Covid-19 has almost vanished; while in the states that had had comparatively few cases so far, Covid-19 is on the rise unfortunately. Suppression of the virus comes at a cost, which one has to pay later. The graph below pictures the current situation in the US.

445284694_CoronavirusintheUSasof24-Jun-20.jpg.6f2bc719ba6f7d1eb8cf8f08feca52a9.jpg

Looks like we will be moving to level 4 on borders next Thursday according to Howie which means iom residents can travel off island unrestricted as long as you quarantine for 14 days on return.

No testing for Guernsey travel to & from or quarantine.

4 minutes ago, Golfer said:

Looks like we will be moving to level 4 on borders next Thursday according to Howie which means iom residents can travel off island unrestricted as long as you quarantine for 14 days on return.

I thought that was already happening

29 minutes ago, Golfer said:

I can’t see many wasting their time on this. To have to isolate again, and have the states jackboots threatening you for the slightest ‘alleged’ violation. 

As for the ‘air corridor’ again, hardly exciting, unless you are wealthy, whereby you can visit another island, and perhaps maybe relocate there. It could prove to be a master stroke for Guernsey, courtesy of the Isle of Man Government

Personally I would prefer it if IOMG gets its arse in gear and permits the few travel agents doing summer direct flights to Majorca, from Reynoldsway now there is a air corridor - UK to Spain, without quarantine. Are the medics controlling the politicos brave enough to permit this?

The way things are going we may as well right off this year. Still it’s alright for those Politicos who will find a way of getting off the rock, without having to self isolate on their return.

Edited by 2112
  • Like 1