IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

Accept all that, John, but the timing of the announcement was just bonkers.  What difference would it have made if it was made early yesterday?  It was bound to create panic especially when 111 seemed unprepared to respond to questions.  If it was urgent enough to get the announcement out at that time, perhaps a visit to 1886 to advise them to close would have been a good idea.  Or, even better, do nothing until early yesterday. 

Personally, I am not panicked by the news itself, more by the possibility of a knee-jerk reaction. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Accept all that, John, but the timing of the announcement was just bonkers.  What difference would it have made if it was made early yesterday?  It was bound to create panic especially when 111 seemed unprepared to respond to questions.  If it was urgent enough to get the announcement out at that time, perhaps a visit to 1886 to advise them to close would have been a good idea.  Or, even better, do nothing until early yesterday. 

Personally, I am not panicked by the news itself, more by the possibility of a knee-jerk reaction. 

Honestly, I think they were panicked into releasing. Not by the identification of the cases, but by the dammed if you do, dammed if you don’t situation they’re in. If it later came out they knew there was exposure, and they did nothing, there would be allegations of cover up.

111 only operates 8 to 8. I agree, announcement yesterday morning, even lunch time, would have been better.

My suspicion is test result for 1st one was 28, 2nd was 29 or 30. Results are about 6 pm. Track and trace would have taken place on 31st.

Not sure what happened next. But my guess is that public health and  have been emasculated by 9 months of only Howie or Ashie being authorised to say anything or take any decisions. They had to get hold of them. That took time.

The tweet was particularly maladroit. It should have set out sensible advice. It didn’t. 111 call workers should have had a standard script.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Banker said:

Anyway the government posted on Facebook an hour ago , it says the pandemic is ongoing, practice good hygiene and ring 111 if you have symptoms. So good clear communication & don’t panic😂

They’ve been posting those for months. Basically, comme guy is sat to himself going “there is no parking in the red zone, don’t park in the red zone”

Poor bloke probably hasn’t got any permission to do anything else 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Honestly, I think they were panicked into releasing. Not by the identification of the cases, but by the dammed if you do, dammed if you don’t situation they’re in. If it later came out they knew there was exposure, and they did nothing, there would be allegations of cover up.

111 only operates 8 to 8. I agree, announcement yesterday morning, even lunch time, would have been better.

My suspicion is test result for 1st one was 28, 2nd was 29 or 30. Results are about 6 pm. Track and trace would have taken place on 31st.

Not sure what happened next. But my guess is that public health and  have been emasculated by 9 months of only Howie or Ashie being authorised to say anything or take any decisions. They had to get hold of them. That took time.

The tweet was particularly maladroit. It should have set out sensible advice. It didn’t. 111 call workers should have had a standard script.

Yes 111 should have kept to published advice ie no testing or isolation unless symptoms, instead some on 111 have been saying isolate for 7 days , some saying no action required & some saying you need a test which is why the panic is setting on on Facebook groups & on here calling for lockdown!!!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, John Wright said:

The worrying thing is the possibility that they were panicked into making the announcement.  "They" shouldn't be panicked, "they" should be the calm and measured hand on the tiller. 

• Like 2

Just now, Banker said:

Yes 111 should have kept to published advice ie no testing or isolation unless symptoms, instead some on 111 have been saying isolate for 7 days , some saying no action required & some saying you need a test which is why the panic is setting on on Facebook groups & on here calling for lockdown!!!

That’s the whole point. 111 should’ve had scripts for this since months ago. 

Publishing a list and time of places should’ve kicked off a protocol that A) reassured everyone and B) was clear and concise and mostly importantly, consistent across social media, news and the 111 service. They’ve had months of no community cases to prepare it all. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

Yes, on MR news that people who attended the venues should isolate and call 111 if they develop symptoms.  Conflicting advice. 

1 minute ago, Banker said:

This is correct, the advice given by 111 since this latest 'incident' has been inconsistent.

(personal experience) 

9 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Yes, on MR news that people who attended the venues should isolate and call 111 if they develop symptoms.  Conflicting advice. 

I think the published advice is clear , this is on all media sites

Those who don't have symptoms do not need to get in touch with the Covid line.

So not sure why those who don’t have symptoms or calling 111 & why 1111 don’t say no action needed to these people 

The public advice is simple.

If you were in any of these venues ... on these dates... between these times.

Stay at home if possible

Don't go out to shops, bars, restaurants, or large public gatherings

If you have to go out, wear a mask

If you work in a public facing or service role, and have been to those locations on those dates and times, tell your boss

If your employee tells you they’ve been exposed consider having all staff tested and close your premises temporarily.

If you develop any of the following symptoms (list ) contact 111, self isolate until given clearance, your family or anyone living with you must do the same. Do not go to your GP, or hospitals.

• Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Banker said:

I think the published advice is clear , this is on all media sites

Those who don't have symptoms do not need to get in touch with the Covid line.

So not sure why those who don’t have symptoms or calling 111 & why 1111 don’t say no action needed to these people 

It can take 3 - 10+ days to develop the symptoms. If they've got it they may not know yet. Or even be asymptomatic. But they could still potentially be spreading it during this period. This is the problem.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Stay at home if possible

If you work in a public facing or service role, and have been to those locations on those dates and times, tell your boss

If your employee tells you they’ve been exposed consider having all staff tested and close your premises temporarily.

If you develop any of the following symptoms (list ) contact 111, self isolate until given clearance, your family or anyone living with you must do the same. Do not go to your GP, or hospitals.

That was not the advice in the original announcement - self-isolate only if showing symptoms.  

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Stay at home if possible

Thats good advice, but where have you found it as that's not what they were saying yesterday 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

That was not the advice in the original announcement - self-isolate only if showing symptoms.  

Sorry, I should have made clear this is what I think it should have been. Clear, simple, concise. Aimed at the people who, I imagine, go to 1886. ( Based on professional experience )

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Sorry, I should have made clear this is what I think it should have been. Clear, simple, concise. Aimed at the people who, I imagine, go to 1886. ( Based on professional experience )

Thats what I though.

You are correct, thats largely the sort of statement and advice they should have had ready to go months ago, along with guidance in where to get masks from for those who don't have them