IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

You wouldn't want to take a ball to the face on a day like this.

And although I’m finally no longer working, I can say from experience that playing footie on days like this leads to broken legs rather than scraped knees. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

1886 is different though, it was absolutely crammed, live band was playing and hygiene isn’t exactly high on the list after a few drinks, the number of people who don’t wash their hands after using the facilities will tell you that. Until we know more about the individuals movements we need to be cautious, hopefully they were sat in the corner nursing a pint but on the other hand they could have been absolutely hammered, up dancing, going for a pee umpteen times etc

Absolutely, there's a reason pubs and weddings are big spreader events. Alcohol and close social contact, especially if you're on the dance floor singing along to the bangers. There's a definite risk. But my point is that we should try to keep some perspective, unless there's something we don't know (like it was their staff do and they were out with the contact) shutting the swimming pool and the Pigeon seems a bit of an overreaction.

I understand why there's that overreaction, I think people are legitimately nervous, I know I am. But still.

7 minutes ago, Declan said:

So an all-powerful God thinks it’s the best use of his skill set at the moment to stop a bunch of amateurs getting a bit of exercise on a Saturday afternoon?

Wonder what the overlap is between attendees at 1886 and football players is. I think we should be told.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, pongo said:

New Zealand is one of the best examples internationally. What would they do?

They'd announce the case soon after they were tested positive (without waiting for contact tracing to be completed).  You can see their procedures by looking how they dealt with their last small cluster in early November.

The index case was someone working at the quarantine facility in Auckland and "Because the person works at the facility and is not a returnee they are considered a community case".  No playing words and misunderstanding WHO definitions to pretend it isn't.  These workers are tested regularly - this person was negative on the 3rd but developed symptoms on 5th - a good reminder that a negative test doesn't prove you aren't developing it.  They announced the following actions:

Two businesses in Auckland have been contacted by Auckland Regional Public Health Service and notified that the worker visited their premises during their infectious period.

Full details of these locations of interest and advice for people who may have had contact with the case are on the ARPHS website.

A push notification has been sent via NZ COVID Tracer to everyone who scanned in to these businesses around the relevant time.

Full details of the case, and the actions taken in response to the positive result, will be provided in the 1pm update on Saturday.

So they used their track and trace application, which is very widely used. They put out regular updates (they even put out updates on days when there are no imported cases - even at weekends!).  They have testing centres where anyone who wants to can get tested (no triaging through congested 111 lines).

When another case was identified from a contact, they gave more and very specific details details (without identifying those involved), they continued tracing and testing (and I think re-testing); they used genomic testing to find where the infection came from.  They extended hours at one facility.

None of this is particularly difficult to do, all it requires is common sense, diligence and a willingness to serve the public among public servants.

• Like 2

Having been out in it this morning, including Tesco car park, I can vouch for the fact that there was a lot of sheet ice about, and no sign of any grit on the roads that I was on.

Trying to play football on a field in that condition would end up with a bit more than just scraped knees. You need the teams, and the ref., to be still in one piece for the next match.

• Like 1