IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

Well the advice is that’s not required & the swimming pools, homes that closed should be open now ! Just mass paranoia spread by Facebook & MF

There is no health or other needs to do so 

Scientifically speaking, and spoken too by your purveyors of facts. We simply don't know yet if it is an issue, and your purveyors are operating under the assumption that it is low risk. Based on it being the old strain, we're reasonably likely to have symptomatic cases around now. Based on the new strain? It's anyone's guess.

Swimming pools etc. are closing because they had staff who are worried about it, and are being closed at their own expense. Keeping a pool running isn't cheap. There isn't a money tree they're shaking. They just know that patience can be a virtue.

Businesses that can work from home are as a measure of staff welfare and being prudent. If it makes those staff feel better, and potentially avoids a problem for the sake of a few days, fair play to them. For staff who might be vulnerable, the mental benefits of doing so probably outweigh any disadvantage.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Banker said:

Well the advice is that’s not required & the swimming pools, homes that closed should be open now !

That's not what was actually said though, is it? Opening or closing was down to the individual premises/businesses. 

2 minutes ago, Cassie2 said:

''You will perhaps note that we have not even classified them as 'Essential Workers' nor as 'Compassionate Cases' - which in any case have both been absurdly discretionary and 'fluid' categories. 

etc etc etc etc etc etc

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure one of the statements over last few days said they'd arrived under the relocation pathway i.e. new to the Island.

3 minutes ago, jaymann said:

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure one of the statements over last few days said they'd arrived under the relocation pathway i.e. new to the Island.

I was hearing yesterday of clearance being given to visit on some very tenuous grounds too. An initial application to visit relatives on compassionate/Xmas basis was rejected. So a second application was apparently made on "destitute/homeless" grounds which was  incredibly, accepted. Come on in.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

He's referred many times to social media this morning. He knew businesses were closing and people were panicking.  He also has referred to what appeared to be conflicting information.  Don't you think a responsible government would have clarified. Even on here no-one was sure what the instructions were.  Except Banker.  He always knows.

That's fair enough but a lot of conflicting info I saw was down to people putting their own take on the announcement. Maybe I'm wrong but I read it as only get in touch with 111 if you have symptoms. You then have people on social media asking should they call 111 if you were in 1886 or the other places. There cant be a news conference everytime someone reads the info and puts their own spin on it. 

16 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

I still dont get the 2345 announcement. If they had a positive case at 10 am how can it take more than a couple of hours to get that information out? Whether there's cases or not as a result of this it seems a pretty reckless move at best. 

It wasn't announced shortly after discovery to avoid any panic, according to Ashford. Had they announced it earlier perhaps some of the people intending to go out and celebrate might've reconsidered and the panic we've seen since might have been lessened...

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

He ruffles feathers and really gets the hackles up on Howie, which provides me at least with some great amusement.

From HQ's perspective, he should be able to field even the difficult questions without getting stroppy about it.

He’s never asked a deep probing question in his career. Certainly not professionally or competently.

Howie just gets ruffled by anything or anyone that isn’t fawning yes man flavoured.

• Like 11