IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

15 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

So would you use the C word in Tesco and think it was OK?

This is a public place. It doesn't offend me but I know that it offends most women that I know. If we want to drive people away that's fine let them keep doing it. Personally I would kick out posters that use language like that but its just my view.:)

The fact i wouldn’t use it personally, anywhere, is irrelevant.

You are, of course, free to stop visiting anytime you want. The matter is closed. Moderators decision final. It will be kept under review, as with everything.

Obviously I've upset Happier Diner with my language. Maybe I shouldn't have used that. I do think there is a difference in how you use it.

For example "Happier diner is a ...." not acceptable

"Those people are ....." acceptable.

That's how I see it anyway.

I'll try not to use it though in future if it helps.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, quilp said:

Is the term 'snowflake' still acceptable? 

If term 'snowflake' banned, then what do I replace it with. 10-20 years ago when lawyers told us could not put anything negative in references. We all agreed to use term "not very useful", to mean this person is unemployable w**ker.

I hope term 'educationally disadvantaged', does not get banned since have hard time describing IoM education system. Heads managed to get 'appraisals', 'SSRE', 'external validation' all banned. Maybe next plan unions is make use of terms 'SATS', 'National Curriculum', 'Ofsted', 'league tables', 'choice' a criminal offence with fixed sentencing on 6 months in gulag.   

18 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Obviously I've upset Happier Diner with my language. Maybe I shouldn't have used that. I do think there is a difference in how you use it.

For example "Happier diner is a ...." not acceptable

"Those people are ....." acceptable.

That's how I see it anyway.

I'll try not to use it though in future if it helps.

Cheers Teapot.

It wasnt you though and I wasnt upset. 

I'm a gentleman and knowing that there are women on here I would never use the word. Some think differently. Its up to them.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

So would you use the C word in Tesco and think it was OK?

This is a public place. It doesn't offend me but I know that it offends most women that I know. If we want to drive people away that's fine let them keep doing it. Personally I would kick out posters that use language like that but its just my view.:)

It's not the occasional C-bomb that stops new blood joining forums. It's the fact forums are becoming a bit of a relic, and Facebook is considerably more accessible. 

There are also a lot of views on here which are much more offensive than the occasional rude word. Though notably less than there were now that there have been a few departures. 

41 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

HaHa. No Facebook does not permit it

Not sure about Snowflake....I think its Ok for now!

Facebook is plenty sweary but is a cess-pit at the best of times. There are plenty of pages with hundreds of thousands, if not millions of likes whose name revolves around the C-word.

Though, look at the kick-off in Manx Radio comments when there's mention of a safe space for LGBTQ teenagers. Turning the kids gay so they say. If you try and disagree with the people who think this is wrong, and messing with their little Jimmy's mind, then you're probably a snowflake in their eyes.

Snowflake is a term used quite often in the context of 'your views are more liberal, forgiving or less selfish than mine, therefore you must be a snowflake as you are so woke'. Usually when there's a distinct gap in views between generations. Problem is, it's now used to defend racism, homophobia, xenophobia, transphobia etc.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Banker said:

Heard that but if 1/2 cases it’s to be expected & no cause for concern 

Well, have you heard of an R-value? and you are aware of what that is for COVID with no masks and social distancing right?

I think we'll start to see a few. It should be contained if they're on top of it, but it'll ruffle feathers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Facebook is plenty sweary but is a cess-pit at the best of times. There are plenty of pages with hundreds of thousands, if not millions of likes whose name revolves around the C-word.

Though, look at the kick-off in Manx Radio comments when there's mention of a safe space for LGBTQ teenagers. Turning the kids gay so they say. If you try and disagree with the people who think this is wrong, and messing with their little Jimmy's mind, then you're probably a snowflake in their eyes.

Snowflake is a term used quite often in the context of 'your views are more liberal, forgiving or less selfish than mine, therefore you must be a snowflake as you are so woke'. Usually when there's a distinct gap in views between generations. Problem is, it's now used to defend racism, homophobia, xenophobia, transphobia etc.

Gammon is the one I like

people who get annoyed at being called a snowflake, woke etc etc retaliate by calling people Gammon. 

Language is interesting look at Edison Cavani at Man U he has been banned for 3 matches fined 100 Grand and has to go on a diversity course for tweeting something that in his own language is fine but in the UK someone has decided it could be seen as racist. Seems the Uruguayans are kicking up a fuss about it now.

14 minutes ago, HeliX said:

It's not the occasional C-bomb that stops new blood joining forums. It's the fact forums are becoming a bit of a relic, and Facebook is considerably more accessible. 

There are also a lot of views on here which are much more offensive than the occasional rude word. Though notably less than there were now that there have been a few departures. 

Do you know that?

I spoke to someone who had recently joined just yesterday and they said different and have subsequently left. A small sample I know but they said they were fed up of farcebook but thought it was even worse on here.