IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

If we just been testing on arrival as some of us have been calling for months then we would have picked up a lot of these cases before they got out of isolation.

But no, we didn’t want cases and no we didn’t want to spend money on testing at ports like Guernsey .

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Banker said:

If we just been testing on arrival as some of us have been calling for months then we would have picked up a lot of these cases before they got out of isolation.

But no, we didn’t want cases and no we didn’t want to spend money on testing at ports like Guernsey .

Yep.  Arrival and again at end of isolation.

Would love to see the justification for not doing that.

• Like 1

We’ve been wrong all along about everything my virtual friend.

A pair of hapless fools floating in a sea of knowledge.

Government totally culpable now. 
Been going along on a wing and a prayer for too long. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, jaymann said:

The problem is that nobody takes PM seriously.

None of the serious journos have the cahones to ask the tough questions, I wish they would. PM did a video with Ashford the other day and asked about the genome / Glover matter and Ashford skirted over it.

The issue with PM is he comes across as an argumentative sod, he ruins some very good questions with his tone of voice or his mannerisms. If he could perhaps ask the questions without changing his tone in voice/treating it personally then I think he’d have a much better reception. His interview with Dr Glover was particularly good but I think that’s because he treated her with respect, after all she is an expect in her field,l.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Are these positive cases returned the same single single digit ‘awaiting results’ from the weekend while they were patting themselves on the back for returning all negative results? 

I would suspect (and indeed hope) so.  Given that they were saying that most of the tests were Day 1 or 13[1] ones, you would actually expect some positives in that number of tests, given the current prevalence in the UK.  But they were obviously keener to get out a 'good news' story than reflect reality - or even to avoid things looking twice as bad later.

Assuming the Nedbank case is the one where they had completed 14 days (and then gone to the Caff and B&B[2]) it would be interesting to know if they were co-isolating with others.  It certainly shows that a Day 13 exit test should have been imposed on all those who were coming to the end of isolation, whenever they came out of it.  Of course the stupid decision to charge made this more difficult.

[1]  Despite the fact that with 23 December being the first possible Day 1, the first Day 13 could only be yesterday.

[2]  We seem to live on an Island where any random private business, even a greasy spoon, has more responsibility and comms skills than the Government.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, forestboy said:

Government totally culpable now. 
Been going along on a wing and a prayer for too long. 

They might well have blown it when the answer was obvious.

Test, Test & Test again.

Woooooooooooooosh ......

The sound of an OBE whizzing past you but not stopping.

I can almost hear the ghost of Jim Bowen, via Derek Acorah, “Howard, here’s what you could have won” ...

Edited by Nom de plume
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Mini lockdown, nip it in the bud and close schools because they cause massive amounts of transmission especially to teachers. The borders will most likely be closed. I can't see how they can stay open other than to essential travel.

The borders have been closed from March 2019 allegedly so our "powers that be" have been telling us and everyone entering has been vetted and only carrying out the most important tasks as required. If only that was true.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

We’ve been wrong all along about everything my virtual friend.

A pair of hapless fools floating in a sea of knowledge.

There are things you have been right about, and things you've been wrong about. Like pretty much everyone else. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I would suspect (and indeed hope) so.  Given that they were saying that most of the tests were Day 1 or 13[1] ones, you would actually expect some positives in that number of tests, given the current prevalence in the UK.  But they were obviously keener to get out a 'good news' story than reflect reality - or even to avoid things looking twice as bad later.

Assuming the Nedbank case is the one where they had completed 14 days (and then gone to the Caff and B&B[2]) it would be interesting to know if they were co-isolating with others.  It certainly shows that a Day 13 exit test should have been imposed on all those who were coming to the end of isolation, whenever they came out of it.  Of course the stupid decision to charge made this more difficult.

[1]  Despite the fact that with 23 December being the first possible Day 1, the first Day 13 could only be yesterday.

[2]  We seem to live on an Island where any random private business, even a greasy spoon, has more responsibility and comms skills than the Government.

That post suggests your interpretation of the release is that one has left isolation and the rest were still doing theirs.

I read it more as most of them hadn't travelled at all.

Guess we find out at 4

Quite possibly, as RM says, a scutch of day 13 tests pushing the number up. If so, proof that this policy should have been in place much earlier. It's not as if they weren't told it was a good idea.

Some boffins are hypothesising that the new variant has a longer incubation period. This would make the 14 day 'gold standard' somewhat defunct.

• Like 5