IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

16 hours ago, Josem said:

As far as I can tell, figuratively nothing was ever implemented from their first two road maps, why would this be any different?

https://covid19.gov.im/news-releases-statements/roadmap-outlines-challenges-of-getting-children-back-to-school/

https://covid19.gov.im/news-releases-statements/government-publishes-medium-term-response-to-covid-19/

It's pretty bonkers that the Government is talking about possibly re-imposing lockdowns (with all the associated economic damage that this will cause) with scant little scientific evidence to support them, but the Government document fails to encourage people to wear masks, despite the strong scientific evidence that they are an effective tool to reduce the risk.

I suspect you are right, when push comes to shove the last thing anybody wants is another full lockdown, but my point is why publish/promote something that is incorrect or misleading as it serves no useful purpose, and if the general public actually bother to read it, will only sow doubt and possibly fear. Maybe that is what Comin want. Keep everyone on their toes and not become complacent. I personally just think that  is not their intention it is just that internal government communications is so disjointed that poor messaging is par for the course.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Out of the blue said:

I personally just think that  is not their intention it is just that internal government communications is so disjointed that poor messaging is par for the course.

Yes - but I think that it is worse than poor communications, and rather, it is poor strategy. I much prefer this line of thinking, from the UK's SAGE committee back in March:

The behavioural science suggests openly explaining to the public where the greatest risks lie and what individuals can do to reduce their own risk and risk to others, even if this is ahead of measures announced by the Government – but SAGE recognises that taking individual measures may be more feasible for some than others. Greater transparency could enable personal agency, send useful signals about risk and build trust

Instead, the Manx Government continues to follow a strategy of keeping its "science"* secret, and coming up with a huge volume of prescriptive rules rather than useful guidelines to help Manx people make their own judgement about what is and is not worth the risk. This is because real life is about balancing risks: there's clearly some risk in crossing the road, but that needs to be balanced against the benefit of getting to the other side.

*I put "science" in quotes because because real science isn't kept secret, and real science wouldn't ban 15 people from attending a funeral, yet allow 1,500 people to attend a protest.

• Like 4

On 6/26/2020 at 10:39 PM, pongo said:

The worst outcome for the economy would be a sense that it was not really safe to be at work, in a shop, eating out etc

In a small economy like this, it would be really stupid to blow the advantage of being virus free.

It’s already looking like they’re lining up for a national skive-a-thon in the UK public sector with many staff already told they can “work for home” (ie, mostly do bugger all fully paid) until next summer. But the impact on the economy will be huge as shops, cafes, and restaurants etc end up with no customers. The plan has to be everyone back in the soonest period of time otherwise things will seriously tank worse than they have already.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8467703/Civil-servants-save-Britains-High-Streets-getting-office.html

1 hour ago, Mr Newbie said:

It’s already looking like they’re lining up for a national skive-a-thon in the UK public sector with many staff already told they can “work for home” (ie, mostly do bugger all fully paid) until next summer. But the impact on the economy will be huge as shops, cafes, and restaurants etc end up with no customers. The plan has to be everyone back in the soonest period of time otherwise things will seriously tank worse than they have already.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8467703/Civil-servants-save-Britains-High-Streets-getting-office.html

At home they don't even need to try to look busy but I wonder if they realise that MS Teams records their working time on their PCs?

Having said that even if it is in black and white that they did no work it would not make any difference, hardly likely to be sacked because of it.

From that article

"Andy Burnham, the mayor of Greater Manchester, said he was keen to bring staff back to the office on a staggered basis. He presides over around 250 civil servants."

Manchester has 250 CS? How many do we have again? That cant be right?

Edited by Boris Johnson
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

Manchester doesn't harbour delusions about being a country or State independent of the rest of the UK.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boris Johnson said:

At home they don't even need to try to look busy but I wonder if they realise that MS Teams records their working time on their PCs?

Having said that even if it is in black and white that they did no work it would not make any difference, hardly likely to be sacked because of it.

From that article

"Andy Burnham, the mayor of Greater Manchester, said he was keen to bring staff back to the office on a staggered basis. He presides over around 250 civil servants."

That’s just the regional mayors office. Think of all the others in Whitehall with a north west brief, then Manchester City Council and the councils of all the old boroughs, Rochdale, Oldham, Bury, Bolton, Wigan, Salford, Trafford, Stockport, Thameside.

Those 250 deal with regional strategic infrastructure.

just to give you an idea Bury employs 10,000 employees, Manchester City over 7,000. There are 8 other council authorities making up the Greater Manchester region. The number of Local Government employees is between 85,000 and 95,000 for 2.7 million people. That excludes police, fire, ambulance, drs, hospital and health workers, teachers. That brings the total over 200,000. We have 2000 civil servants and 5000 other public sector workers for 85,000. That includes emergency services and teachers and health care.

The number, per head of population isn’t all that much different.

6 minutes ago, asitis said:

I see on the news that Leicester is seeing a surge in infections and may be subject to local lockdown ! whatever happens I do hope we exercise great care here on opening the borders !

Ours are open in all  but name.

As I have said I know 2 key workers that are working here with no kind of sensible  precautions or isolation period.

Edited by Boris Johnson
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Manchester doesn't harbour delusions about being a country or State independent of the rest of the UK.

True, very true. Do Manchester have 5 full time CS in a mapping department do you think? I came across this little known group while building my first house many moons ago. Could never understand how we needed that many as the island does not really change much year to year. Any new houses are drawn by architects so it does not need swarms of them to keep the islands maps up to date I would have thought? Even more so now Google have got everything mapped.

14 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

True, very true. Do Manchester have 5 full time CS in a mapping department do you think? I came across this little known group while building my first house many moons ago. Could never understand how we needed that many as the island does not really change much year to year. Any new houses are drawn by architects so it does not need swarms of them to keep the islands maps up to date I would have thought? Even more so now Google have got everything mapped.

Not as such, but they will have numerous civil servants updating maps and feeding into Ordnance Survey, and Greater Manchester strategic authority, dealing with planning, roads, signs, and location of hotels, shops, services etc. They’ll be based in each of the 10 authorities..

Our Mapping unit has a head cartographer and mapping officers because we are responsible for our own OS nowadays. I’m sure we can use OS but there’d be a huge charge.