IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

But who actually decides whether they're key workers. Didn't Longworth bring over some apprentice rail welders a while back under lockdown and key worker rules. Who told him he could and signed it off that they qualified as key workers, or did he have the authority to make that decision himself ? This is the missing tier in government; there's no control or oversight at the top.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tetchtyke said:

Researchers at MIT did a study too which lauded masks as reducing hospitalizations in the US. They then had to withdraw it because hospitalizations shot up despite mask wearing. Oops.

Masks are expensive and uncomfortable but don't do much harm (or any harm to most people). So I get the attitude that we may as well mandate them as the risk is low and therefore the risk/benefit swings in their favour even if the benefits are low too. But there isn't the concrete evidence to support them, the literature is reviews of reviews, and I'm sick of them being mandated instead of easier, simpler, and cheaper solutions like keeping your distance and washing your bloody hands.

I was in Shoprite where all the shoppers were wearing an array of face coverings/masks. The thing I noticed was that whereas in the first lockdown everyone studiously complied with social distancing at 2 metres, people instead acted as usual, paying little attention to SD. My feeling is that it gives people a sense of security that otherwise does not exist, which given the quality of masks I saw today, the safer option would be to mind the gap. 

As an aside I did chuckle when I saw a lone gardener in the middle of a 1 acre garden digging a hole with his mask on. I applaud his diligent observance of the rules, but not his practical common sense. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Genuine question though it may seem a stupid one... can you take a learner driver out during lockdown? 

Don’t see why not , just driving to somewhere quiet for excercise which is perfectly acceptable or going to collect takeaway or to shops etc 

1 minute ago, Out of the blue said:

I was in Shoprite where all the shoppers were wearing an array of face coverings/masks. The thing I noticed was that whereas in the first lockdown everyone studiously complied with social distancing at 2 metres, people instead acted as usual, paying little attention to SD. My feeling is that it gives people a sense of security that otherwise does not exist, which given the quality of masks I saw today, the safer option would be to mind the gap. 

As an aside I did chuckle when I saw a lone gardener in the middle of a 1 acre garden digging a hole with his mask on. I applaud his diligent observance of the rules, but not his practical common sense. 

Saw several drivers with masks on in cars on their own, 1 or 2 walkers with masks on. Had to pick someone up from hospital and would say 50/50 wearing masks including staff 

13 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

I do hope someone of the press asks about the provenance of the Christmas cases (1886, Majestic etc) and were these people key workers entering the Island, if so, what was their function. 

Hard to know what difference it might make, and if revealing any info which may show our great and good in a poor light, you've got no chance. 

2 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

But who actually decides whether they're key workers. Didn't Longworth bring over some apprentice rail welders a while back under lockdown and key worker rules. Who told him he could and signed it off that they qualified as key workers, or did he have the authority to make that decision himself ? This is the missing tier in government; there's no control or oversight at the top.

It's a puzzle. The coop for example, stopped work on their new Crosby store, save bringing their shop fitters over. Big chain like that will no doubt have some kind of contracts, but the other week they had a UK crew over repairing the roof on the back of the Castletown one. Surely it would have been easier and better for everyone to get a local contractor to do it? How can it be argued that bringing a UK crew over for that is 'essential' or 'key'?

• Like 3

Re the driving lesson, and reading the responses, it's a "definitely maybe".

I've just been down Strand Street. About half wearing masks. And a tough guy jogging down the Street with no mask on and clearly breathing louder and heavier than he needed to. He was making his point I suppose.

And fair play to the guys on the Promenade working diligently, but less than half wearing a mask, and they tended to be the shovel leaners.

Just now, Barlow said:

I've just been down Strand Street. About half wearing masks. And a tough guy jogging down the Street with no mask on and clearly breathing louder and heavier than he needed to. He was making his point I suppose.

And fair play to the guys on the Promenade working diligently, but less than half wearing a mask, and they tended to be the shovel leaners.

Not easy to do strenuous work breathing through a mask.

4 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

It's a puzzle. The coop for example, stopped work on their new Crosby store, save bringing their shop fitters over. Big chain like that will no doubt have some kind of contracts, but the other week they had a UK crew over repairing the roof on the back of the Castletown one. Surely it would have been easier and better for everyone to get a local contractor to do it? How can it be argued that bringing a UK crew over for that is 'essential' or 'key'?

They didnt try to argue they needed key workers. they just decided to postpone the work as far as I know

1 minute ago, Barlow said:

The masks are not required until tomorrow and they will be finishing work today

5 minutes ago, Banker said:

Saw several drivers with masks on in cars on their own

Fair enough.

Your house is the safe area. On leaving put on mask and don't take it off until you return. Then wash hands and etc.

7 minutes ago, Banker said:

Saw several drivers with masks on in cars on their own, 1 or 2 walkers with masks on. Had to pick someone up from hospital and would say 50/50 wearing masks including staff 

I was at the hospital this morning, most patients wearing masks, no staff that I could see?