IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

4 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Did I hear old Henriettea say when the g.nome results eventually come back end of week or early next week, we will be able to tell if the 26th December break out and the new years eve break out are connected. Forgive me if I am wrong(or not I do not care either way) Have they not been banging on about there not being any connection at all and it is still not in the community. What the fuck are they using for there comparison now. Noddy in toy town medicinal explanations for the clinically brain dead.

Still waiting for Quale to announce suspension of elections under emergency powers, and people take note of nothing nada being heard from the other 22 nodding dogs all just compounding what ever HQ, Boy blunder and the Magnificent Henrietta decide to make up and spoon feed us.

Medication Beckons

I noted the same and, IIRC, the main use will be to track the route of transmission.  I admired Dr Ewart's ability to keep a straight face. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The much applauded FB page Manx Ladies in Lockdown has invited all their members to post to confirm they are OK.   

It was started in the last lockdown and was a positive, funny at times and supportive group.  But, I found this to be a bit peculiar, possibly an overblown sense of the role of the page?  What are they going to do if you say you are not OK?  Send a team of cuddlers round?  Do they have qualified counsellors to help get you over your not-OK-edness?  What if you don't reply at all? 

Just struck me as a bit "hmm" really. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Gladys said:

The much applauded FB page Manx Ladies in Lockdown has invited all their members to post to confirm they are OK.   

It was started in the last lockdown and was a positive, funny at times and supportive group.  But, I found this to be a bit peculiar, possibly an overblown sense of the role of the page?  What are they going to do if you say you are not OK?  Send a team of cuddlers round?  Do they have qualified counsellors to help get you over your not-OK-edness?  What if you don't reply at all? 

U ok hun?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, Gladys said:

I volunteer myself to join the page and test it out by posting that I'm not OK.

6 hours ago, Gladys said:

It’s a serious point Gladys.

Ive been seeing lots of posts offering emotional and practical support.

First, for the emotional support, even if it’s just talking and listening, what qualifications do they have? They can do lots of damage, not just to person they’re trying to help, but to themselves, if they don’t have basic training and their own back up/debrief/support.

Second, there is no control, no answerability, no accountability.

Third, none of these people are checked. No police data base check, yet vulnerable people are letting people they don’t know into  their lives and homes.

It’s a conundrum. Being good neighbours, especially to those you know, who are in need, is great. There’s clearly a need. BUT

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, John Wright said:

First, for the emotional support, even if it’s just talking and listening, what qualifications do they have? They can do lots of damage, not just to person they’re trying to help, but to themselves, if they don’t have basic training and their own back up/debrief/support.

Third, none of these people are checked. No police data base check, yet vulnerable people are letting people they don’t know into  their lives and homes.

It’s a conundrum. Being good neighbours, especially to those you know, who are in need, is great. There’s clearly a need. BUT

I think the underlying point is that in these situations it is easy for people to become cut off and isolated (obviously) from friends and family.  Groups such as these simply offer people an opportunity to 'connect' with someone else and have a chat.

I would hope that if they notice anyone having serious problems that they would encourage them to contact a GP or organisation that can actually offer proper support and assistance.

In my experience people just need that nudge from a friendly face to pick up the phone and ask for help.  Otherwise they end up in a downward spiral and won't confide in anyone and then things get really bad...

Unfortunately families are not always there for each other and can become focuses on what is going on inside their own household and forget about the person living alone.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Banker said:

Howie said he didn’t need them, he has powers under health regulations, has to be confirmed by Tynwald after 14 days

I'm sure I've seen Chris Thomas on Twitter saying the regs aren't enshrined yet and amendments still haven't been presented to the house for approval?

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

What powers are in force for all this? Cornavirus regs? 

It needed emergency powers last time.

I thought HQ said yesterday that the Guv was signing them off as he was speaking

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It was a serious point, without wanting to be nitpicky or snide.

The post says:

"We are checking up on our members please when you see this post just say I'm fine."

There are 2.2k replies.

It  has a lot of members, and I don't doubt the sincerity behind it, but I was a bit perturbed because it isn't a formal support group, run by trained individuals with all the safeguarding checks necessary. As I said above, what if you say you are not OK, what happens then?   Do you then have your state of mind the topic of discussion and start to reveal stuff that isn't really for public airing. 

As I also said, generally it is a supportive group, but you don't have to go through any kind of vetting to become a member.  There was even a heated debate a while back when it became known that some men had joined because it went against the ethos of being a womens' group.

In the first lockdown, there was a group called helpout.im, mainly to connect willing people to those shielding to do shopping etc.  I joined this but was a bit worried at first about the scope for some kind of shenanigans, I even felt a bit hesitant to ask the couple I was shopping for for their Tesco loyalty card so they got the points. There were no police checks.  I am not aware of any issues and the people behind it did seem to have their heads screwed on and linked with other third sector providers such as hospice, but I had some reservations. 

But the ladies group was just a platform for information and some banter and the support was that it was a positive and funny place to visit. 

I might be overreacting, but it did not sit right.

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

It was a serious point, without wanting to be nitpicky or snide.

The post says:

"We are checking up on our members please when you see this post just say I'm fine."

There are 2.2k replies.

It  has a lot of members, and I don't doubt the sincerity behind it, but I was a bit perturbed because it isn't a formal support group, run by trained individuals with all the safeguarding checks necessary. As I said above, what if you say you are not OK, what happens then?   Do you then have your state of mind the topic of discussion and start to reveal stuff that isn't really for public airing. 

As I also said, generally it is a supportive group, but you don't have to go through any kind of vetting to become a member.  There was even a heated debate a while back when it became known that some men had joined because it went against the ethos of being a womens' group.

In the first lockdown, there was a group called helpout.im, mainly to connect willing people to those shielding to do shopping etc.  I joined this but was a bit worried at first about the scope for some kind of shenanigans, I even felt a bit hesitant to ask the couple I was shopping for for their Tesco loyalty card so they got the points. There were no police checks.  I am not aware of any issues and the people behind it did seem to have their heads screwed on and linked with other third sector providers such as hospice, but I had some reservations. 

But the ladies group was just a platform for information and some banter and the support was that it was a positive and funny place to visit. 

I might be overreacting, but it did not sit right.

I was supporting your view. I fully share your reservations. And I don’t know what the answer is.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I was supporting your view. I fully share your reservations. And I don’t know what the answer is.

I know you were agreeing with me. Perhaps a less authoritartve question, more like        "Hope you are all well, just like last time, we hope to be a supportive group for those finding this lockdown a challenge "