IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

What powers are in force for all this? Cornavirus regs? 

It needed emergency powers last time.

The legislation is here

https://legislation.gov.im/cms/images/LEGISLATION/SUBORDINATE/2020/2020-0551/PublicHealthProtectionCoronavirusRegulations2020_4.pdf

Brought in in December apparently. I haven't read it, but I have concerns about the ease with which such drastic action has been forced upon us. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Ive been seeing lots of posts offering emotional and practical support.

First, for the emotional support, even if it’s just talking and listening, what qualifications do they have? They can do lots of damage, not just to person they’re trying to help, but to themselves, if they don’t have basic training and their own back up/debrief/support.

Second, there is no control, no answerability, no accountability.

Third, none of these people are checked. No police data base check, yet vulnerable people are letting people they don’t know into  their lives and homes.

Welcome to the first level of the Community Integrated Care system. We don't need Doctors and clinical professionals to that extent anymore (the thinking behind it before the pandemic).

This system is far cheaper and lets face it they are only oldies anyway, and most of them are not even vaccinated yet.

12 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I thought HQ said yesterday that the Guv was signing them off as he was speaking

He was wrong, later corrected.

Legislation went through Tynwald in the summer that meant we didn’t need to invoke a state of emergency but that DHSC could issue regulations. They’ve got to go to Tynwald within 14 days, but they come into effect without needing Tynwald.

33 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

The legislation is here

https://legislation.gov.im/cms/images/LEGISLATION/SUBORDINATE/2020/2020-0551/PublicHealthProtectionCoronavirusRegulations2020_4.pdf

Brought in in December apparently. I haven't read it, but I have concerns about the ease with which such drastic action has been forced upon us. 

It needs confirmation by Tynwald at next meeting so Howie said

14 minutes ago, Apple said:

Welcome to the first level of the Community Integrated Care system. We don't need Doctors and clinical professionals to that extent anymore (the thinking behind it before the pandemic).

This system is far cheaper and lets face it they are only oldies anyway, and most of them are not even vaccinated yet.

That’s not true. We do need all the Drs, medics, nurses, and allied support we can get, including therapists, counsellors etc. In fact we need more.

But there’s always been a place for the voluntary or third sector, but it’s acknowledged that professionalism, training and boundaries are needed. There are so many, St John, Red Cross, McMillan, Samaritans, Victim Support, Quing, and thousands more. 

There’s also a need for community awareness and being good neighbours.

You’re unduly cynical, I think, about Manx Care and cost saving by transfer to third sector. But I have concerns, expressed in my previous post about the risks of unregulated, untrained, we must do something, groups. They aren’t necessarily aware of their limits, don’t know when to hand over, or why to hand over, or to whom. They don’t have back up. And, most seriously haven’t been vetted before asking to be invited into the lives and homes of the vulnerable. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Banker said:

Has anyone tried the community support line for COVID it just rings out constantly?

wanting advice on what I can do for vulnerable people and also have some friends in isolation needing various supplies 

You can do shopping for vulnerable people/those self isolating, but you wouldn’t be able to go into their house, it would be a case of leaving it on the door step and retreating at a safe distance. Handling of cash would obviously be best avoided if you’re helping people from different households.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Banker said:

Has anyone tried the community support line for COVID it just rings out constantly?

wanting advice on what I can do for vulnerable people and also have some friends in isolation needing various supplies 

Try helpout.im.  They are on FB. 

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

That’s not true. We do need all the Drs, medics, nurses, and allied support we can get, including therapists, counsellors etc. In fact we need more.

I agree. I was being facetious. 😄

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

But there’s always been a place for the voluntary or third sector, but it’s acknowledged that professionalism, training and boundaries are needed. There are so many, St John, Red Cross, McMillan, Samaritans, Victim Support, Quing, and thousands more. 

Thats very true and they should all be funded appropriately. I support those groups.

5 minutes ago, John Wright said:

You’re unduly cynical, I think, about Manx Care and cost saving by transfer to third sector.

Having been at the heart of the system for so long and then monitoring it from an outside angle I don't consider myself cynical. What I would like to see is the right people doing the right things at the right time and in the right way. 

I share your concerns about the boundaries and interfaces between various groups and organisations, but I am cautious about the issues of confidentiality and consent in issues of health and social care. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

You can do shopping for vulnerable people/those self isolating, but you wouldn’t be able to go into their house, it would be a case of leaving it on the door step and retreating at a safe distance. Handling of cash would obviously be best avoided if you’re helping people from different households.

Exactly what we were doing last lockdown, for a neighbour, and we have reverted to the same procedure again this time round.

If there is someone in need that you can help, then don't keep yourself to yourself.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Banker said:

Words never heard in any financial district ever.

"Banker gives back"

10 hours ago, Utah 01 said:

.....my arse. 99.5% of us are safe and always will be.

The problem has never been that COVID will kill most people. We've gotten the knack for treating most patients with it.

It's that actually, if you get a bad case,  you need some quite intensive medical attention. Noble's doesn't get a good rap at the best of times, try them when they're out of ICU beds and making do with the staff and equipment not fit for intensive care scenarios and see how we go.

Look at the hospitals in England, some of which have converted operating rooms into ICU extensions, using short-term ventilators meant for operations to keep people alive. ICU nurses are usually 1-on-1, now they're 1-on-5 in some places. Yes, they haven't been using Nightingale hospitals, but they've not got the staff to spare with critical care training. Volunteers have been sought in some places just to be able to turn patients.

Now remember we haven't got anywhere else to send people. Ramsey cottage hospital isn't equipped for much. England can't exactly provide much help at the moment either.

Or, the easy option, we maintain local elimination by giving up 3 weeks to get us through the rest of the year. It's cold and wet outside anyway, many people are doing dry/healthy January etc. and many will be skint after Christmas. It could be far worse.

• Like 8