IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

4 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

If the UK keeps recording in excess of 60,000 cases per day (that they actually know about through testing - possibly three times that figure) coupled with a coherent vaccination programme we’ll be all done by February! No joke .......

I posted on here a few weeks ago that if the UK kept multiplying their cases as they were they'd get herd immunity within about 6 weeks.  I think the rate of acceleration has slowed a bit since then, but you might not be far wrong.  Doesn't mean though that come the end of February they're suddenly going to say it's all over and get on with it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, wrighty said:

I posted on here a few weeks ago that if the UK kept multiplying their cases as they were they'd get herd immunity within about 6 weeks.  I think the rate of acceleration has slowed a bit since then, but you might not be far wrong.  Doesn't mean though that come the end of February they're suddenly going to say it's all over and get on with it.

Yep ... the figures we read about are the tip of the iceberg one would imagine.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Yep ... the figures we read about are the tip of the iceberg one would imagine.

Everyone in UK will either have had it or been vaccinated by April at the rate they’re going so should be all over. Problem is Europe & very slow roll out particularly hot spots like France & Spain  

Opening our borders and other Counties theirs will depend on the effectiveness of the vaccines, whether they  reduce infection or reduce the effect of the symptoms. Neither are yet known.

Reduced symptoms could well be advantageous to the healthy but the effect on the elderly and vulnerable could still be serious and require Hospital beds as at now.

It depends on the voluntary uptake of the vaccine? Could be that by Sept there could be a psychological attitude of ''It's all over'' and a loosening of cautions by the population?

It's the Politicians who will be blamed for any surge in infections or a slow response to any New Variations not the scientists or medical advisers. Govts are bound to be more cautious?

Edited by Kopek

I see growing resentment towards government and the useless support schemes for businesses who have been prevented from operating.

Lots of construction etc have been closed since 18th December with no money coming in, and are now told they have to pay their staff for January (with no money coning in) then claim back £200 a week - hahahahaha what planet do these civil servants live on.  Lots are still in debt from last lockdown.

One barber has gone rogue and posted an up yours to the government and told people to contact him as he is still working

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Barlow said:

You used to be one of us guys. Pray tell, what takes up for your amusement these days young lady?

I still am, but most times I am working (except for the next 3 weeks) in spare internet time, I’m messing around on Stocktwits and 212 trading, I have an investment pie that’s going to make me £14,000,000 in 10 years - then I won’t have to work anymore and will post on here all day :) It’s quite good but I stress over a £10 loss even when it was originally part of an £100 win, fickle.

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

A week is a long time in politics - even longer when it comes to the politics of covid.  Making predictions is a way to guarantee getting things wrong.

But I don't mind being wrong.  Best guess for me is that with an acceleration of the vaccination program which will happen in the UK and here, and with decreasing numbers in the UK which will naturally happen due to their lockdown, and warmer weather, we'll see some relaxation by Easter and in summer we'll be good to go.

I hope you're correct Wrighty but the pessimistic side of me thinks this has a while to run yet

20 minutes ago, Kopek said:

It depends on the voluntary uptake of the vaccine? Could be that by Sept there could be a psychological attitude of ''It's all over'' and a loosening of cautions by the population?

It's the Politicians who will be blamed for any surge in infections or a slow response to any New Variations not the scientists or medical advisers. Govts are bound to be more cautious?

People will blame anybody but themselves when they fail to observe the restrictions and common sense and it all goes tits up. Albeit there have been failings on the political side.

There's always been the attitude of, "It's not that serious, a load of fuss over nothing" - look at some of the posts that's been made on here.

It's a culture thing, used to our freedoms and casual approaches, that is what the science and the politics also have to contend with as well as the virus.

9 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Have they announced a cull on domestic housecats yet? It's just that i've already started, not waiting for these muppets to give the go ahead too late

Didn't you start a few years ago?

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

I see growing resentment towards government and the useless support schemes for businesses who have been prevented from operating.

Lots of construction etc have been closed since 18th December with no money coming in, and are now told they have to pay their staff for January (with no money coning in) then claim back £200 a week - hahahahaha what planet do these civil servants live on.  Lots are still in debt from last lockdown.

One barber has gone rogue and posted an up yours to the government and told people to contact him as he is still working

Yes it’s a useless scheme for normal workers, even minimum wage earners struggle with the hand outs. Meanwhile the civil servants get full pay whether working or not!

lockdown depriving people of livelihood & children of proper education for 16 cases is not acceptable 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wrighty said:

A week is a long time in politics - even longer when it comes to the politics of covid.  Making predictions is a way to guarantee getting things wrong.

But I don't mind being wrong.  Best guess for me is that with an acceleration of the vaccination program which will happen in the UK and here, and with decreasing numbers in the UK which will naturally happen due to their lockdown, and warmer weather, we'll see some relaxation by Easter and in summer we'll be good to go.

I agree for travel to the uk. However, I think there will be further restrictions for travel beyond. Uk are finally going to starting to require negative tests prior to arrival. 

As much as the British isles are ramping up vaccinations, most countries are nowhere near starting, and it will take years. 

However, an important point is that at some point we need to let the virus into the community to see if the vaccine has worked. Or, if it turns out that people will get mild illness, symptomatic or asymptotic, she'd virus or not shed virus. When do you think that will be. 

Edited by Cambon