IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

9 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

You're are being a bit overly dramatic there.  Aren't death to diagnosed cases actually deaths to hospitalised cases?

It doesn't kill 14% of people that get it.

There are apparently more than 100,000 UK excess deaths over the Covid period, c.60,000 more than the hospital deaths. Some will be due to the lack of healthcare, others due to Covid outside the hospital environment!

• Like 1

Well that's why I put the proviso about undiagnosed asymptomatic cases. The figures won't be correct for a true picture because to take the UK as an example for a great part testing was limited mostly to people going into hospital with it. But there should be no doubt, this is a dangerous disease when allowed to spread quickly. 

I honestly don't know how to deal with the borders, it's the UK's fault, the bunch of fucking dickheads. It has become apparent that this virus can be controlled, but it is difficult and you need everyone onside. I reckon our government has probably earned a bit of credit but they'd still have a very hard time convincing people to close things up again should the virus make any kind of sizeable return. Odd cases should be easily contained, but there's no guarantee. There is definite pressure building over the borders, and the longer it goes on the more that will build. 

The US is completely fucked, if they continue to lie (see Florida) then they might cover up quite how bad, but everyone knows now what a total mess they've made of it. Land of the FREEEEEEEEEE...

2 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

It's asking for trouble at a dangerous stage, when we've just jump-started the local economy.

100%.

The IOM is free from Covid 19. It would be utterly stupid to allow anything which risks that. It's a trump card. From an economic point of view and also from a quality of life perspective. Nobody needs to go anywhere for the moment.

If anything the island should be tightening the checks and controls rather than becoming complacent.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Comfortably the biggest (but worst in terms of standard) troll on this site.  Banned from iomtoday too.  That's how poor you are.

Pretty sure you have stated this before with absolutely no proof that I have ever been on iomtoday. :whatever:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, pongo said:

100%.

The IOM is free from Covid 19. It would be utterly stupid to allow anything which risks that. It's a trump card. From an economic point of view and also from a quality of life perspective. Nobody needs to go anywhere for the moment.

If anything the island should be tightening the checks and controls rather than becoming complacent.

For the moment.

I guess we have to have an idea of what we would expect to see before people think borders should be opened.

It's a circular argument whilst there are any cases anywhere.

3 minutes ago, pongo said:

But things are getting back up and running. Why risk that?

"I want my holiday and if i don't get it I'm going to scream and scream and scream until I'm sick - and everyone else can be sick too" - golfer and similar idiots.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

"I want my holiday and if i don't get it I'm going to scream and scream and scream until I'm sick - and everyone else can be sick too" - golfer and similar idiots.

I won’t be going on holiday this year and happy to stay in the IOM so really you’re talking through your arse again. I already know enough unemployed people though. I‘d rather it didn’t happen to any more people. 

Edited by Mr Newbie

3 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

I won’t be going on holiday this year and happy to stay in the IOM so really you’re talking through your arse again. I already know enough unemployed people though. I‘d rather it didn’t happen to any more people. 

Hah, I didn't realise you were Golfer as well. Makes sense though as you're both whinging moronic pricks.

A second lock down will put far more people out of work than keeping the borders shut for a bit longer.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Hah, I didn't realise you were Golfer as well. Makes sense though as you're both whinging moronic pricks.

Accusations of sock puppetry? I thought there were rules about that on this forum from what I’ve seen. No I’m not Golfer as I‘m sure is very clear to anyone else. Yet more anal rambling from Panic McPanicface. 

Edited by Mr Newbie
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

A second lock down will put far more people out of work than keeping the borders shut for a bit longer.

I agree that keeping the borders shut a bit longer is a logical and sensible thing to do.

But the question remains about what external circumstances need to be in place to open the borders?

Personally I have no problem missing out on the holidays I had and have booked.  Many many years left to do that:thumbsup:

But we are going to need a strategy that factors in that Covid 19 will remain.  

Personally I think we need to plough resources into testing.  So that tests can be done quickly then re tests can follow perhaps 6 or 7 days later.  There isn't any reason why residents travelling off island for any reasons wouldn't be able to support that sort of strategy for a while.

The immediate losers in a closed border policy is the tourist industry.  That is a tough one.

Edited by The Dog's Dangly Bits
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I agree that keeping the borders shut a bit longer is a logical and sensible thing to do.

But the question remains about what external circumstances need to be in place to open the borders?

Personally I have no problem missing out on the holidays I had and have booked.  Many many years left to do that:thumbsup:

But we are going to need a strategy that factors in that Covid 19 will remain.  

Personally I think we need to plough resources into testing.  So that tests can be done quickly then re tests can follow perhaps 6 or 7 days later.  There isn't any reason why residents travelling of island for any reasons wouldn't be able to support that sort of strategy for a while.

The immediate losers in a closed border policy is the tourist industry.  That is a tough one.

it seems odd that we may be able to fly to guernsey without self isolating but there is talk that guernsey will be resuming flights to southampton so it doesn't seem a good idea to me.

• Like 1