IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

12 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

We certainly need a quarantine area/facility for inbound pax, it's a basic protocol. You can't, for example, wander in and out of a pathogen lab (not even if you're a roofer 😂 ) without going through various areas of decontamination and checks. It's just a bigger version of that and it is basics. 

Isolate incomers and test at scientifically proven points before you release into the community. We should have been doing it months ago  particularly in light of the infection source next door. It needs to be getting set up NOW.

In an emergency, this pandemic, the Lowest Common Denominator approach is needed and that dictates that human beings are selfish and arrogant. As has been shown on far too many occasions with travellers, they cannot be trusted to stick to the simple rules. 

A Comis type scenario would be a relative breeze to administer and control, and get rid of many of the potential failings of the current set up.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Barlow said:

In an emergency, this pandemic, the Lowest Common Denominator approach is needed and that dictates that human beings are selfish and arrogant. As has been shown on far too many occasions with travellers, they cannot be trusted to stick to the simple rules. 

A Comis type scenario would be a relative breeze to administer and control, and get rid of many of the potential failings of the current set up.

"Far too many occasions"

Like what? I can think of one dude who went to McDonald's and one who went to a bank?

The rest were very minor indiscretions that didn't really warrant anything other than a telling off.

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

Yes from a patient transfer but the media headline seems to be Uk COVID variation already here ie implying it’s spreading around without any evidence 

You and your extraordinary dilemmas. We'd have known sooner had @rachomics been able to carry on with her expertise, did she not say she could've separated and identified the two variants within 2 hours? As of now we have to wait, according to the head girl, because we need to share our info with the UK. A poor excuse as far as I'm concerned, are we not an independent entity? Surely they'd have accepted our results en bloc. Shouldn't Manx citizens come first? 

3 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Well that isn’t quite true, we need to know if the new strain was in the community before lockdown...

I think we can take this as a given. We'll know more in a week or so. I predicted earlier that we'd have 50+ cases by the end of this month.

Sincerely hope I'm wrong but the way things are going... 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

"Far too many occasions"

Like what? I can think of one dude who went to McDonald's and one who went to a bank?

The rest were very minor indiscretions that didn't really warrant anything other than a telling off.

you are part of the problem

Edited by snowman
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

"Far too many occasions"

You think none of the returning students cheated?.....just a little bit. I'll tell you now they did.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Well that isn’t quite true, we need to know if the new strain was in the community before lockdown, at the moment they’re testing people on perhaps day 3 or day 5 after being identified as a close contact when it’s known this strain incubates for far longer, people therefore could be receiving false negative tests.

I suppose it also depends on whether 111 tells them to carry on isolating after a negative test, we had a poster tested on here (name escapes me, sorry!) who was told after their negative test that they could exit isolation.

Yes I see that. Molly was correct when he questioned whether the track and trace would be altered if there was a chance that infection time was lower ie a new strain. They didn't like that cos they knew he had a good point.

Henrietta is great....but he made a good point and should not have been dismissed as he was.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

"Far too many occasions"

Oooh, I'd love to get my teeth into a reply to that one. Lots of links and all that, but tbh icba. 

Tell you what, under the circumstances, I will simply say that one case is "far too many an occasion".

Edited by Barlow

I can't believe that none of the journalists are asking "What efforts are being made to accelerate the vaccination programme". We've got around 7000 doses sitting in fridges, and the best we can hope for is that they'll fanny about, doing another 1041 during the first half of next week and then go into hibernation again. 

I simply don't believe that if the political will, and drive, was there, our medical staff couldn't figure out a way to quickly upscale and deliver another 2000 to 3000 in the next couple of weeks. 

Maybe sitting on stock, and having a very pedestrian paced plan was "acceptable" 10 days ago, but the Island's situation has changed, since then.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Professor Neil Ferguson (yes him) on BBC Hardtalk (sorry can't link but if anyone else could I would be grateful)

Good watch, informative. Predicts this will be in the world for years.

Says elimination not feasible. At odds with CM then?

13 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Yes I see that. Molly was correct when he questioned whether the track and trace would be altered if there was a chance that infection time was lower ie a new strain. They didn't like that cos they knew he had a good point.

Henrietta is great....but he made a good point and should not have been dismissed as he was.

The focus needs to be on 111 advice being given, whether enough people are meeting the criteria for testing or just being told to self isolate if they have symptoms (hidden Asymptomatic cases) and then clarifying isolation rules after negative test results being returned (again potential Asymptomatic positives that haven’t incubated yet)

So far I’m still witnessing a reactive rather than proactive government, we could quite easily end lockdown in 2 weeks and still be i exactly the same position as before, I don’t actually think this is being attacked hard or fast enough if elimination is the desired result.

People seem to be focusing on returning travellers and with day 1, 7, 14 tests or 21 days isolation they aren’t really the concern when the door has been left wide open until December 23 and only now cases are starting to appear.

Edited by Annoymouse

11 minutes ago, Nellie said:

I can't believe that none of the journalists are asking "What efforts are being made to accelerate the vaccination programme". We've got around 7000 doses sitting in fridges, and the best we can hope for is that they'll fanny about, doing another 1041 during the first half of next week and then go into hibernation again. 

I simply don't believe that if the political will, and drive, was there, our medical staff couldn't figure out a way to quickly upscale and deliver another 2000 to 3000 in the next couple of weeks. 

Maybe sitting on stock, and having a very pedestrian paced plan was "acceptable" 10 days ago, but the Island's situation has changed, since then.

I don’t think they can upscale as they can only distribute what they’ve been given, perhaps the question should be ‘can we get our hands on any more stock’

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Apple said:

Professor Neil Ferguson (yes him) on BBC Hardtalk (sorry can't link but if anyone else could I would be grateful)

Good watch, informative. Predicts this will be in the world for years.

Says elimination not feasible. At odds with CM then?

Not really, elimination strategy is realistic on the island, but will require ongoing border restrictions. There is no way it is going away in the UK.

34 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Isle of Man needs to go back to the Comis scenario if it ever pulls itself out of the current situation. 

I'm not sure that's true.  You can see why that's an attractive idea in a geographically large area like Australia or New Zealand because you keep all your possible cases nearby, but that's not a problem here -everywhere is nearby.  And there are also downsides such as potentially more cross-contamination. We'll have to wait to see the cause(s) of these latest cases but the root of it is clearly lack of testing.  But people isolating in their own places seems to have worked so far.

I'm also uneasy about charging in these circumstances as it can lead to all sorts of problems.  In practice charging for the tests may be what got us into this mess.  If they had been free they could have been introduced for day 13 straight away and these cases might have been picked up - instead they actually only started on Monday.  Quayle may have been boasting about Day 1 testing (even if it isn't happening then) but the Day 13 is the important one.

• Like 1