IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 minute ago, Annoymouse said:

I don’t think they can upscale as they can only distribute what they’ve been given, perhaps the question should be ‘can we get our hands on any more stock’

They've got 7000 doses in stock. You're not going to get more stock, when you're only uising a fraction of what you've been given. It's lunacy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, tetchtyke said:

Our stock is whatever Public Health England give us, which is the problem.

Nothing to do with PHE. Its NHS Supply Chain who supply us. They must be well chufffed we are sitting on 85% of what they've assigned, so far.

Edited by Nellie

1 minute ago, Nellie said:

They've got 7000 doses in stock. You're not going to get more stock, when you're only uising a fraction of what you've been given. It's lunacy. 

Ashford stated ithe IOM gets 0.013% of the Pfizer/Biontech supplied

Clearly they dont split trays so it works out at 1 tray of Pfizer/Biontech per week.

The UK ordered alot more of the Oxford, so that's why the rate of vacicnation will increase  

9 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

The focus needs to be on 111 advice being given, whether enough people are meeting the criteria for testing or just being told to self isolate if they have symptoms (hidden Asymptomatic cases) and then clarifying isolation rules after negative test results being returned (again potential Asymptomatic positives that haven’t incubated yet)

So far I’m still witnessing a reactive rather than proactive government, we could quite easily end lockdown in 2 weeks and still be i exactly the same position as before, I don’t actually think this is being attacked hard or fast enough if elimination is the desired result.

People seem to be focusing on returning travellers and with day 1, 7, 14 tests or 21 days isolation they aren’t really the concern when the door has been left wide open until December 23 and only now cases are starting to appear.

As I said above, the guidance from 111 if you are not a traveller is contradictory.  No one seems to be thinking about community spread. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, snowman said:

Ashford stated ithe IOM gets 0.013% of the Pfizer/Biontech supplied

Clearly they dont split trays so it works out at 1 tray of Pfizer/Biontech per week.

The UK ordered alot more of the Oxford, so that's why the rate of vacicnation will increase  

Ashford said over a week ago that we had 6000 Pfizer (6 trays) on hand. Since then we've used one, should have had another one delivered, and got the first Oxford. I agree things should eventually accelerate, but why are they seemingly so comforatble sitting on all this supply.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

Not really, elimination strategy is realistic on the island, but will require ongoing border restrictions.

Thats what he is saying. It will be in the world for perhaps 5 yrs and travel restrictions between countries, especially with poorer ones that may not afford vaccination programmes. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Nellie said:

Ashford said over a week ago that we had 6000 Pfizer (6 trays) on hand. Since then we've used one, should have had another one delivered, and got the first Oxford. I agree things should eventually accelerate, but why are they seemingly so comforatble sitting on all this supply.

Hope none of it degrades whilst it's in storage rather than the arms of the vulnerable

• Confused 2

46 minutes ago, quilp said:

The 'new' strain was identified by the head girl as having been in existence here since September. 

30 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

No she said UK. Depends where you are I guess

You are correct, I've reviewed that part of the announcement and must've misheard. Thanks for pointing out my error.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I'm not sure that's true.  You can see why that's an attractive idea in a geographically large area like Australia or New Zealand because you keep all your possible cases nearby, but that's not a problem here -everywhere is nearby.  And there are also downsides such as potentially more cross-contamination. We'll have to wait to see the cause(s) of these latest cases but the root of it is clearly lack of testing.  But people isolating in their own places seems to have worked so far.

I'm also uneasy about charging in these circumstances as it can lead to all sorts of problems.  In practice charging for the tests may be what got us into this mess.  If they had been free they could have been introduced for day 13 straight away and these cases might have been picked up - instead they actually only started on Monday.  Quayle may have been boasting about Day 1 testing (even if it isn't happening then) but the Day 13 is the important one.

Free testing in Jersey & Guernsey I understand, Howie keeps saying we introduced day 1& 13 as same time as Guernsey but what he failed to mention is that they had day 1&13 testing in for some time although voluntary at the start they picked up a number at day 1 & 13 .

Howie criticized politicians like Shimmins who called for testing earlier & basically said we can’t afford it!!

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

As I said above, the guidance from 111 if you are not a traveller is contradictory.  No one seems to be thinking about community spread. 

I’ve seen many others with the same opinion but it’s getting drowned out with the ‘close the borders’ nonsense. Take the primary school kids being tested today for example, so it’s roughly 3 days since they were at school, contract tracing has identified close contacts only and they will get a test around day 3 or 4 after possible exposure and they will most likely return a negative result as the virus is unlikely to have incubated at the point of test.

We shall carry on ignoring this though and learn absolutely nothing about the impact the new strain is having on the UK, 111 will continue to tell people to stop isolating upon a negative test result, instead focusing on returning travellers who are getting day 1, 7 and 13/14 tests.