IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

4 minutes ago, pongo said:

Can you even begin to imagine the expensive and resource hungry degree of work which would be necessary to make an one-at-a-time assessment of every separate case?

How could the system possibly decide between a lower risk scenario and a higher risk scenario? Without an expensive and time consuming analysis of every case. And how long would such a careful process invariably take? And even accepting that many would lie.

You don't.  You just let people travel if they are prepared to do the right things.

Only cost is extra isolation visits and just charge people £300 each to cover

4 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Well that’s an exceptional case and you have my sympathy, unfortunately the travel restrictions have to be in place to stop the 90% of idiots and not the 10% that would actually take the correct precautions and use their common sense.

Ankle bracelets.  Fixed.  Easy.

Next imaginary obstacle?

2 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Then please raise it and suggest it, unfortunately the number of people it (truly) affects is in such small numbers I think you’ll have to shout for your voice to be heard.

Tried.  Refused on a number of occasions same as lots if others.

Shambles.  Offered to have people do what is basically the testing regime they insist on now as far back as August and they said no.

36 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I’ve been stocking  up on Gruel for weeks. Going to start selling on FB soon 

Hoarder! I wondered why there was none left. Is your first name Rog?

Edited by Non-Believer
extra bit
  • Haha 1

Why can't the IOM Government just buy their own vaccine instead of it being handed out to us when the UK feel we deserve it?

The excuse we're getting is that we get what we're given, although even what we're given isn't really used that quickly.  Don't get me wrong 3 days work and 4 days off is great but not if you're delivering a life saving vaccine.

We're self-governing(ish) so I don't see why we can't buy 150k doses at £3 each.

I would have thought a population our size could be vaccinated, with a bit of effort, in a couple of months for those that want it.

Genuine comment, I don't know if there is a reason we can't source our own vaccine.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kopek said:

I guess it's down to the 'clout' that the UK have on our behalf to secure these doses?

I'm not sure that we would have the same preference with the pharmaceuticals ??

Don't one of the big pharmaceuticals channel their proceeds through here?

15 minutes ago, Super Hans said:

Why can't the IOM Government just buy their own vaccine instead of it being handed out to us when the UK feel we deserve it?

The excuse we're getting is that we get what we're given, although even what we're given isn't really used that quickly.  Don't get me wrong 3 days work and 4 days off is great but not if you're delivering a life saving vaccine.

We're self-governing(ish) so I don't see why we can't buy 150k doses at £3 each.

I would have thought a population our size could be vaccinated, with a bit of effort, in a couple of months for those that want it.

Genuine comment, I don't know if there is a reason we can't source our own vaccine.

I’d have thought you’d know a geezer who could supply us with any drugs we’d like!

Seriously though, it’s all supply and demand. The manufacturers, so far at least, are being pretty responsible and selling at a reasonable price. Supply is limited by manufacturing capacity. If market forces were allowed you’d have the richest countries winning the bidding war and the poorer ones getting nothing. They’re allocating fairly, and IOM have agreed, reasonably I think, to tag on to the UK - we’re part of their procurement networks for other things - rather than going it alone trying to source our own. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1