IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

32 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I’d have thought you’d know a geezer who could supply us with any drugs we’d like!

Seriously though, it’s all supply and demand. The manufacturers, so far at least, are being pretty responsible and selling at a reasonable price. Supply is limited by manufacturing capacity. If market forces were allowed you’d have the richest countries winning the bidding war and the poorer ones getting nothing. They’re allocating fairly, and IOM have agreed, reasonably I think, to tag on to the UK - we’re part of their procurement networks for other things - rather than going it alone trying to source our own. 

Thanks, good info.

Even if we had all of the doses up front I don't have the confidence we could  all that quickly.  My simple mind thinks it should be pretty easy with such a small population but maybe not

55 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Mr. Ashford is very keen to compare our vaccination rollout & % of population complete with the United Kingdom.

How about a comparison with those cheeky Channel Islanders? You know, the Crown Dependancies like us.

We must be the only nation on Earth, choosing to sit on SIX weeks worth of stock. That’s a fact that should be getting rammed down his throat, at every opportunity, until the pace picks up significantly.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nom de plume said:

Mr. Ashford is very keen to compare our vaccination rollout & % of population complete with the United Kingdom.

How about a comparison with those cheeky Channel Islanders? You know, the Crown Dependancies like us.

I'm not sure of the population but I read Israel are on course to have their whole country vaccinated by march. The prime minister is taking charge of it and people answer directly to him. Very impressive 

11 hours ago, horatiotheturd said:

I put that in my post.

They are well paid, doing very little, have a job for life (unless they screw it up) and are better placed than most to pay for their own sandwiches 

20 years ago maybe, now the T&C's are shit.

9 hours ago, wrighty said:

I’d have thought you’d know a geezer who could supply us with any drugs we’d like!

Seriously though, it’s all supply and demand. The manufacturers, so far at least, are being pretty responsible and selling at a reasonable price. Supply is limited by manufacturing capacity. If market forces were allowed you’d have the richest countries winning the bidding war and the poorer ones getting nothing. They’re allocating fairly, and IOM have agreed, reasonably I think, to tag on to the UK - we’re part of their procurement networks for other things - rather than going it alone trying to source our own. 

We are the worst of all evils. We have it but are choosing to sit on it. Maybe we should send it back so someone can actually use it

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, asitis said:

Without ploughing through this, what was the reason we are only vaccinating three days a week ? I understand availability of product, but what else was the reason ?

The Traa dy liooar attitude that is rife in CS and medics on the island. They are "Manx Busy" which is not the same thing as proper busy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, horatiotheturd said:

You just let people travel if they are prepared to do the right things.

That's half the problem. The "essential workers" are supposed to "do the right things", but a lot of them have gone astray, into Tesco, MacDonald's, bars, etc..etc...

It's part of human nature. They can't all be trusted, and that's what brings in the virus. Jersey found that out....

• Thanks 1

If they were proper essential workers it would not be so bad.

I cant say this is 100% correct, not my usual source but I was told yesterday there are a bunch of Lithuanian/ Romanian groundworkers on the island  that have come over for the prom job. Groundworkers, How the Fu*k is that essential? Other than essential to save DOI face?

On 1/8/2021 at 7:19 PM, jaymann said:

There have been huge efforts by DfE - quite rightly - to try to keep encouraging businesses to move here despite the pandemic.

Yes really a well worth effort, the spark impact initiative

cost something like £270,000.00 per Job.

This Government trust everybody apart from employers of companies on island,

The salary scheme can not be claimed until the end of the month after paying out the wages.

Companies that have been struggling after the last lockdown, now it starts again.

I wonder how many small companies can afford to pay wages with no turn over.

Howard Quayles shows no understanding of business.

This is not farming or landowners where they get payouts in advance.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, asitis said:

Without ploughing through this, what was the reason we are only vaccinating three days a week ? I understand availability of product, but what else was the reason ?

Ashford has given a raft of reasons for this, the first of which was staff having other duties which is quoted in 3FMs Thursday morning newsfeed;

Covid vaccination target exceeded - 3FM Isle of Man (three.fm)

At the main briefing of Thursday afternoon last, he endeavoured to be pro active prior to the anticipated press questioning of the issue and in his main address gave reasons as as being;

It is a medical procedure not a production line, Protocols and procedures must be followed, operating practices need to be correct as it is new vaccine, safety paramount, learning as they go, complex vaccine, handle with care, constantly assess and change protocols as they go (perhaps contradicts earlier statement) availability of vaccine, etc. blah blah

Pick out of that what you like, maybe his first response on Thursday morning was more telling before a more polished and wordy explanation was provided.  What is clear, when you listen to his opening comments, is that they only ever intended to do one tray per week.  Start at 3.36 onwards

Coronavirus Media Briefing - Thursday 7th January 2021 - Coronavirus Media Briefings: Isle of Man - Manx Radio - Manx Radio

A decent journalist could take them to task on most of the above points, other jurisdictions are doing 7 day a week rolling vaccinations. 

It should increase with the Oxford vaccine, but we will always be somewhat hamstrung by the weekly ration of the vaccines.  That said, with 6 probably 7 trays unused and the Oxford first and, presumably second batch arriving this coming week, there would appear to be a good case to at least double the current vaccination rate, whilst still retaining trays for the second doses.  I suspect there is a CS  input here that has been pre ordained and Ashford has been told what to say.  

What is clear is the powers to be have misjudged the  public's view on this matter.  

Edited by Hmmmm
  • Like 6