IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

14 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Well if she hasn’t signed the deeds she isn’t a resident? I’m sure there would have been a way to forward the deeds through another solicitor?

I think the simple issue there is someone in Gov told them they could travel and arrive on the Island, but that doesn't seem to have been respected at the port.

1 hour ago, quilp said:

As Lxxx wrote above, this is a new challenge. There's an old proverb- 'more haste, less work.' Inoculated people need to be tracked to ensure the second doses are repeated on time, that no one is missed and continuity maintained. This is a complicated game and to ensure success there's little room for error. I'll do as you've been doing and create an imagined dillema; what if we find ourselves, and especially our front-line staff faced with sizeable outbreak? Who man's the guns? There's a distinct possibility in that scenario that the system goes awry, important roles compromised and the health service swamped. The Island is still in pole position, we aren't yet pressurised to hurry things up because community transmission is at present miniscule, the coming weeks may see that change and should that be the case we'll have to act accordingly. In the meantime there's a lot to be said for slow and steady. 

Nonsense. Once the other vaccines are up and running the process of mass vaccination will likely accelerate and turnover amongst the population increased. You're getting more like the panic-stricken dilemmarist Banker as each day passes. 

I don't think anyone is advocating that there should be a change in the protocol or a change in the list of priorities, only the speed at which it should be done.

We're not ahead of the game, that much is at least clear to me. We took two steps back by withdrawing some testing and then not testing at all, as well as really pissing off the one lab on the Island that could roll out results in a timely manner to provide the info needed to confirm that what we were doing was right. That has now backfired and we're in a lockdown.

It was said earlier that it's not a race. It is a race. A race to stop the virus from getting into the community by testing and a race to get as many people as possible vaccinated. A belt and braces process at both ends will break the chain of infection. And I'm really surprised that some on here can't see that.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Sorry if I sound petty, but a plea is always going to lose a degree of sympathy by using the 'f' word.

No need.

Edited by Barlow

I know we are not Singapore.  

I know they still have travel restrictions.

I am not necessarily saying we should be like Singapore.

But, much bigger population than us, hard lockdown to get rid after first wave, now gradually easing travel restrictions with a robust isolation and testing campaign and accepting that people coming in will be infected but not panicking about it and instead balancing risk vs reward.

Very clear and transparent reporting of daily situation.

Highest number of daily imported cases today but no community spread.

Could we follow elements of their thinking?  I think so.  I guess those who see no issue with borders being closed indefinitely will say different.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/covid-19-new-cases-singapore-moh-community-imported-jan-10-13930022

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

I know we are not Singapore.  

I know they still have travel restrictions.

I am not necessarily saying we should be like Singapore.

But, much bigger population than us, hard lockdown to get rid after first wave, now gradually easing travel restrictions with a robust isolation and testing campaign and accepting that people coming in will be infected but not panicking about it and instead balancing risk vs reward.

Very clear and transparent reporting of daily situation.

Highest number of daily imported cases today but no community spread.

Could we follow elements of their thinking?  I think so.  I guess those who see no issue with borders being closed indefinitely will say different.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/covid-19-new-cases-singapore-moh-community-imported-jan-10-13930022

are we having a ranking system on who's doing it better than us, who's top Sweden or Guernsey and will Singapore make the playoffs?

Edited by The Chief

27 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I personally am reassured to learn there are so many people with proven track records in large scale vaccine distribution efforts on this island and confess my surprise they are not in charge as they are all so clever. I'm also glad that there are so few impatient reactionary idiots shrieking, cos that wouldn't be helpful at all.

Not for the first time on here, initial positions tend to be adopted at either extreme of the spectrum (no pun intended) and then defended to the metaphorical death, when the best approach most likely lies somewhere in between.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I'll bet it wouldn't be as easy as the Trump supporters seemed to find it, can you imagine the Manx courts dealing with that?

Corporal Watterson already giving it some thought, he sees the civil unrest in the US as "worrying."

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/us-violence-really-worrying-for-countries-like-iom/

You can't threaten democracy where it doesn't exist in the first place... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5