IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

Oh right so you think that a medically qualified GP who has operated in private practice helping people with their medical issues for decades knows less than Ashford (a trainee accountant), or Quayle (a farmer) on Covid issues? I’d love to hear your twisted theory on this one. 

Not playing your games.

5 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Not playing your games.

I’m not playing games. You made a totally outrageous and idiotic statement deriding a medically qualified person for not being qualified to deal with Covid issues and so I asked you to explain your logic. You just sound bitter and twisted to me. Is he more qualified than you? Does he make you feel inferior? Otherwise what you said makes no sense. He clearly is the best qualified person in Tynwald to assess the veracity of our Covid responses having done his 5 years at med school and got his MD. Nobody else in Tynwald is better qualified medically. 

Edited by Mr Newbie
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Was this one discussed already? - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-53205304

"Two "reckless" hospital workers who broke the Isle of Man's Covid-19 laws by visiting pubs have been spared jail.

Stewart Hislop and Stuart Strike stopped to watch football at two pubs en route to buying a meal after arriving from England on 24 June.

Manx rules allow key workers to avoid a mandatory 14-day quarantine but insist on self-isolation when not on shift.

The pair admitted failing to comply with a direction and were sentenced to four weeks, suspended for 12 months.

Hislop, 60, of Bradley Street, Burton-On-Trent in Staffordshire, and Strike, 48, of Hedgerows Road, Leyland in Lancashire, were also fined £1,000 each at Douglas Courthouse.

Under the current laws, the island's border remains closed to new arrivals unless they have been given special permission to enter.

Key workers can enter and exempt from the island's mandatory 14-day quarantine period, but are only permitted to travel between work and their accommodation, and must self-isolate while not working.

The court heard the men were given an exemption certificate to work at Nobles Hospital from 24 to 26 June and, after arriving by ferry on 24 June and visiting the hospital, they went to a hotel in Douglas at about 19:30 BST.

They were told the hotel's restaurant was not reopening until 26 June and the only food available was ready salted crisps.

The court heard that as a result, they walked into the town centre to buy a Chinese meal, stopping at two pubs to have drinks and watch a football match being screened.

The following day, a fellow hospital worker heard them commenting on how busy one of the pubs had been and they were reported to the authorities.

Sentencing them on Saturday, magistrates said although the men had been placed in a "difficult position" their behaviour had been "reckless" and had placed "the Manx public at risk".

There have been no new confirmed cases of coronavirus on the island since 20 May."

45 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Allinson is a GP. No expert on anything. Why is such importance given to what he thinks. I totally respect what the likes of Ian Wright says as he is not only a great consultant surgeon but a very smart man. There probably are a few more like him and the decisions they make are informed ones. I would go with what they say.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I’ve known Alex for 15 years and totally respect his opinions and intelligence. He doesn’t have expertise in a specific narrow field of medical practice like me and my consultant colleagues, but he does have expertise in the generality of medicine and is able to weigh up available evidence as well as any of us. And he does know what he doesn’t know, and who he should ask. 

I for one trust him. We are almost bound to get further covid cases on the island. The plan has to be to manage this by appropriate testing, tracing, and selective isolation, while most of us carry on with life. 

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I’ve known Alex for 15 years and totally respect his opinions and intelligence. He doesn’t have expertise in a specific narrow field of medical practice like me and my consultant colleagues, but he does have expertise in the generality of medicine and is able to weigh up available evidence as well as any of us. And he does know what he doesn’t know, and who he should ask. 

I for one trust him. We are almost bound to get further covid cases on the island. The plan has to be to manage this by appropriate testing, tracing, and selective isolation, while most of us carry on with life. 

I have no issue with Dr A, but if he was a consultant, he would gain more respect an trust. That is all.

28 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Thank you for this. Your last sentence is the important part.  We know a lot more about the virus now, including some good treatment. Our hospital is ready and prepared.  When the virus does reappear we should be in a very good position to deal with it. Thanks to you and your colleagues. 

Society has to get back to normal in the meantime. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I have no issue with Dr A, but if he was a consultant, he would gain more respect an trust. That is all.

Or maybe you’d respect him more if he was a chimney sweep like Alex Downie, or sold light fittings like Ralph Peake? It appears that you have a problem and are simply trying to justify your irrational dislike of a well qualified man who is making a real success of being an MHK by posting rubbish. 

3 hours ago, quilp said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/allinson-fears-second-covid-wave-may-be-inevitable/

So not a question of 'if' but 'when' we will succumb to a second wave.

Is keeping the borders closed going to be of any significant advantage in the long run if it's as Allinson envisages? 

It was the first time around.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53237824

"Fauci warns of 100,000 US cases per day"

"Top disease researcher Dr Anthony Fauci has told the US Senate that he "would not be surprised" if new virus cases in the country reach 100,000 per day.

"Clearly we are not in control right now," he testified, warning that not enough Americans are wearing masks or social distancing.

During the hearing, he said about half of all new cases come from four states.

Earlier, the New York governor said nearly half of all Americans must self-quarantine if they visit the state.

On Tuesday, cases rose by more than 40,000 in one day for the fourth time in the past five days.

The surge - which is occurring particularly strongly in southern and western states - has forced at least 16 states to pause or reverse their reopening plans, according to CNN. Florida, Arizona, Texas and California are the four states referenced by Dr Fauci as being most heavily hit currently.

For some the new measures come over a month after they first began to reopen their economies."

Does this correspond with the protests?

The protests have had an effect yes, but mostly it has been because of the anti-science idiocy of that entire country and the URGE 'not to allow the cure be worse than the problem', which we are now seeing the stupidity of. EU has banned travellers from there now, and its such a mess that it is going to take a LONG time to get out of. Sit back and watch the unfolding disaster. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Golfer said:

The issue for me is that IOM government don't seem to have a plan for borders reopening and everyone else does, Jersey reopening, Guernsey are trying a trial with 7 days isolation, Ireland have a plan. Not everyone agrees with the others plans but they have one and in fact 69% of those surveyed in  Jersey support borders reopening.

why can't we try the 7 days isolation plan ?

Jersey and Guernsey are more reliant on tourist than we are. Our tourist season has effectively been cancelled. We don't need borders open to visitors. 

Uk is beginning to spike again. The World is well into its second wave. Just look at Worldometers.org. New Zealand whom everyone raved about allowed too many people in. They now have gone from nothing to 22 cases. 

The best approach for I.o.M. is to adopt a wait and see. Dr. A says there will be a second wave here. The only way that can happen is through the borders. 

1 hour ago, Cambon said:

Jersey and Guernsey are more reliant on tourist than we are. Our tourist season has effectively been cancelled. We don't need borders open to visitors. 

Uk is beginning to spike again. The World is well into its second wave. Just look at Worldometers.org. New Zealand whom everyone raved about allowed too many people in. They now have gone from nothing to 22 cases. 

The best approach for I.o.M. is to adopt a wait and see. Dr. A says there will be a second wave here. The only way that can happen is through the borders. 

Yes, but where do you draw the line?

2nd wave, 3rd wave, 4th wave etc.

It isn't realistic or practical to keep the borders closed indefinitely.   

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Yes, but where do you draw the line?

2nd wave, 3rd wave, 4th wave etc.

It isn't realistic or practical to keep the borders closed indefinitely.   

You draw the line when it becomes safe to do so. That moment is not here yet