IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

7 minutes ago, rachomics said:

False positives are extraordinarily rare. In the 17,000 or so on-Island PCR results that I called while I was at the DHSC there was not one false positive. 

False negatives are a much bigger risk. The PCR I designed that contained the human RNA test reduced this possibility to a much lower level than if a commercial "off the shelf" PCR test was used (not aware of any that have the human RNA test). I don't know what commercial PCR the lab are currently using so wouldn't be able to accurately assess what the potential false negative rate is currently. 

Thanks, sorry I must have read wrongly. Do they retest anyway as matter of course 

4 minutes ago, rachomics said:

False positives are extraordinarily rare. In the 17,000 or so on-Island PCR results that I called while I was at the DHSC there was not one false positive. 

False negatives are a much bigger risk. The PCR I designed that contained the human RNA test reduced this possibility to a much lower level than if a commercial "off the shelf" PCR test was used (not aware of any that have the human RNA test). I don't know what commercial PCR the lab are currently using so wouldn't be able to accurately assess what the potential false negative rate is currently. 

Firstly, thank you for your input Dr Glover. In your opinion should we  retest people who have been identified as having close contact exposure? My concern is people tested on say day 3 or 4 of close contact/possible exposure could still be incubating the virus, yet will receive a negative test and under current 111 advice will be told to leave self isolation unless they start showing symptoms.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

"Selfish travel" given we now have unknown community spread is it selfish for someone to go to a shop just to buy specific foods when they have food in the house?

A bit of a side issue but it is interesting that people stocking up food so they don't have to go out during lockdown are sometimes called selfish. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Very simple questions that only need very simple answers.

Clearly there is no issue with people exercising for as long as they like provided that they are not in contact with people outside of their household.

I doubt anyone is deliberately choosing to shop unnecessarily. Unless they enjoy queuing in the rain and the cold.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Barlow said:

A bit of a side issue but it is interesting that people stocking up food so they don't have to go out during lockdown are sometimes called selfish. 

Specific food.  You have rice, pasta and chicken nuggets yet you make a trip out to buy bread.

Where we are right now I call that selfish and the journey unnecessary.

There was a woman this morning g (might have been yesterday) arguing thatbshe could drive from Ramsey to Douglas because she likes tesco pasta and not shoprite ffs

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pongo said:

Clearly there is no issue with people exercising for as long as they like provided that they are not in contact with people outside of their household.

I doubt anyone is deliberately choosing to shop unnecessarily. Unless they enjoy queuing in the rain and the cold.

I can see a shop from my house (well nearly, its round the corner)

There are people walking g up the road having been there just for milk, just for bread, just for beer.

That's selfish and unnecessary and a bigger risk than someone travelling here and isolating and being regularly tested.

We've always kept a small stock which we enlarged a bit for the last lockdown and kept at a reasonable level until now which has given us peace of mind and allowed us to just have deliveries from the local Spa. The ladies there are gems as is the K'Michael chemist.

Oh yes and milk continuing to be delivered by the creamery since last time.

Thanks to all involved.

Edited by doc.fixit
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, pongo said:

Why no issue with people exercising.

Billy falls off his bike in the middle of nowhere and needs a full emergency turnout.  His kid was at St Mary's last week.

Higher or lower risk than dave who came from thenUK last week had been tested and is sat at home on his own?

2 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

We've always kept a small stock which we enlarged a bit for the last lockdown and kept at a reasonable level until now which has given us peace of mind and allowed us to just have deliveries from the local Spa. The ladies there are gems as is the K'Michael chemist.

Oh yes and milk continuing to be delivered by the creamery since last time.

Thanks to all involved.

Good for you.

All higher risk and more personal interaction than a returnee isolating in a wel stocked house

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, horatiotheturd said:

There are people walking g up the road having been there just for milk, just for bread, just for beer.

That's selfish and unnecessary and a bigger risk than someone travelling here and isolating and being regularly tested.

I understand what your saying but disagree with your assumption that it is selfish etc. Its what we as individuals have come to expect and rightly or wrongly this is reality . We are not being asked to change our life styles just curtail temporarly parts of it. People are used to having plenty of milk , bread and even beer etc when they want and need it . We are not being asked to stop eating or buying those products just be careful as to what it takes to do so. Commonsense and awareness in the situation we are in as a community is whats important . Sadly there will always be abusers but thats life .

7 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

How can you see that or know what goes on at a shop around the corner? Great eyesight especially in the dark.

You are constantly posting on here so it's amazing that you see so much happening outside 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Billy falls off his bike in the middle of nowhere and needs a full emergency turnout.  His kid was at St Mary's last week.

Higher or lower risk than dave who came from thenUK last week had been tested and is sat at home on his own?

Billy will be sent to borstal in that instance

12 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Would it be safer for an ambulance crew to attend to your heart attack outdoors or in the confines of your virus ridden house?

You'll be saying we can't use metal cutlery next!

• Like 1