IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

29 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

One persons Safe is another persons paranoid Walking Dead situation.

What is safe?

avoiding you and your inane ramblings...

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Yes, but where do you draw the line?

2nd wave, 3rd wave, 4th wave etc.

It isn't realistic or practical to keep the borders closed indefinitely.   

Look, I want to go on holiday as much as anyone else. However, why risk it when there is a wave of infection taking off? Other countries are trying different types of quarantine and isolation. Wait and see what works. Then follow that. The majority of the Islands income is secure. Yes, there will be une,ployment. Opening borders is not going to help or change that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Look, I want to go on holiday as much as anyone else. However, why risk it when there is a wave of infection taking off? Other countries are trying different types of quarantine and isolation. Wait and see what works. Then follow that. The majority of the Islands income is secure. Yes, there will be une,ployment. Opening borders is not going to help or change that.

Of course opening the borders will help, who do you think stays in the hotels , holiday cottages etc ? It’s not locals !!

why do you think Jersey are reopening borders and Guernsey trial for 7 days ,it’s too encourage travel 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Cambon said:

This isn't about holidays.  I'm young enough to enjoy many more of those.  I also grew up never going abroad much really so it is no big deal.

But that isn't what this is about long term.   The borders need, at some stage, to be opened to allow businesses to function, to allow the enormous amount of none manx people that live here to visit relatives etc and vice versa.  Indefinitely closing borders will destroy tourism based business.  There will be no airlines.

As I've said, we need to work out how we can function in a future that won't be covid free.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Golfer said:

Of course opening the borders will help, who do you think stays in the hotels , holiday cottages etc ? It’s not locals !!

why do you think Jersey are reopening borders and Guernsey trial for 7 days ,it’s too encourage travel 

Nobody is stopping you going on holiday are they?

16 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Nobody is stopping you going on holiday are they?

Stop being such a knob, I was responding to a question. All you do is slag everyone who doesn’t share your blinkered opinions from your ivory tower!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cambon said:

Just look at Worldometers.org. New Zealand whom everyone raved about allowed too many people in. They now have gone from nothing to 22 cases. 

All 22 cases are in "Managed isolation and quarantine" however, so in that case their policy seems to be working as it's picking up the people who would otherwise be spreading Covid-19 in the country itself.

15 hours ago, Scotty said:

I have no issue with Dr A, but if he was a consultant, he would gain more respect an trust. That is all.

What an asinine comment.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Golfer said:

Stop being such a knob, I was responding to a question. All you do is slag everyone who doesn’t share your blinkered opinions from your ivory tower!

You really need to learn how to read. I asked you a question. All it required was a simple answer that even you could manage. So not sure how you arrived at that comment

"Uk is beginning to spike again."

800 cases? Ooooh, I'm terrified.

Anyone would think that the IOM had done a sterling job with this pandemic...........scale up the local deaths to a population the same size as the rest of the UK and  population density the same and you are right there. But without any of the explaining circumstances in the UK - the big, crowded cities with deprived poulations, the passing through travellers, the people driving the imported goods into the country..............and your borders were closed tight three months ago. So what's the reasoning for this abysmal performance?

What abysmal performance?

We had what, 4/5 deaths of people who were out and about, the rest were in one nursing home, which simply demonstrates the absolute ruthlessness of the virus in the right (or wrong depending on how you look at it) circumstances.

Looking around at large parts of the rest of the world and the fact that we have been freely moving around in our own community for a while now to call it an 'abysmal performance' is a complete misreading of the situation.

Similar to Mr Josem really, who was adamant that we were the 9th worst affected country in the world for a while.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

All 22 cases are in "Managed isolation and quarantine" however, so in that case their policy seems to be working as it's picking up the people who would otherwise be spreading Covid-19 in the country itself.

Yes, but no new cases today, two yesterday, two the day before. For the next few days, who knows? The virus was taken in by uk visitors going to see parents on the exemption scheme with closed borders. That is how easily this thing spreads. NZ are on a similar borders stage to us. 

3 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

This isn't about holidays.  I'm young enough to enjoy many more of those.  I also grew up never going abroad much really so it is no big deal.

But that isn't what this is about long term.   The borders need, at some stage, to be opened to allow businesses to function, to allow the enormous amount of none manx people that live here to visit relatives etc and vice versa.  Indefinitely closing borders will destroy tourism based business.  There will be no airlines.

As I've said, we need to work out how we can function in a future that won't be covid free.

Allow what businesses to function? After tomorrow's announcements, I reckon Manx residents will be allowed to visit uk, and go on holiday further afield provided they self isolate for 14 days on return. With regard to tourism as I said earlier this year's tourist season on Iom has already been cancelled. We have about 75% of our economy back. Another wave and subsequent lockdown will screw us up for the rest of the year and probably beyond. We are currently quite safe. If we can get a few holiday makers from Guernsey and Jersey, maybe Ireland later in the year, that will help.

As I ve said, the borders need to open, but not any time soon. 

"What abysmal performance? "

Well - 24 deaths from a population of 84,077 scales up to 19,029/66,665,000. So around half.

But the UK, as a whole, has a population density twice that of the Isle of Man and Covid spreads much better in tightly packed places.

Add in the fact that the Isle of Man has no very large venues, or shops, or anywhere that many people gather.

There are no people, or goods, passing through - unlike the UK, who bear the brunt of all the aircraft, ships and trucks bringing in the stuff that the Isle of Man buys and uses.

Add in the fact the the Isle of Man border has been closed for 3 months and you begin to wonder why quite so many people did die..................

Actually, I'm not sure they did but we won't know for another year, maybe two. This is not a static situation and it will not go away, no matter how much you wish it would. Many more people die, and have died, of cancer, pneumonia and dementia every day and every year but nobody locks themselves in and hides away. In 2000 there was a measles epidemic and over 700,000 deaths were counted. These were mainly children, with a long life ahead of them, rather than the elderly and infirm. Was it all over the news? Was there a lockdown? Did the schools close for months?

What do you do about Ebola? Or Black Death? They are still around and you could catch them...........

And we won't know about the suicides for a while yet..............financial ruin and loneliness kill a lot of people.

• Like 1