IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

12 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

You seem to struggle with comprehension and again highlight that you aren't grasping the basics.  Anyone from "plague Island" would have to adhere to our latest testing and isolation policy

"Adhering to testing and isolation" is fabulous. So long as they don't have it.

But what if they do have it? Then we're in bother. As is anyone who went near them on the boat or especially on the plane.

And what if they get really sick with it? We have 6 permanent ICU beds at Nobles, and about another 15 that can be pressed into action if needs be. And what we really don't need is for those beds to be clogged up with people who should have stayed at home on the adjacent island.

I've not seen this Mars Bar delivery service. I'm not in any rush to use it. But if you pay online/by phone then they leave it on your doorstep then there's no issue at all.

Window cleaners usually work in pairs. Gardeners could work safely, providing they went home to use the toilet.

Edited by tetchtyke
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, tetchtyke said:

"Adhering to testing and isolation" is fabulous. So long as they don't have it.

But what if they do have it? Then we're in bother. As is anyone who went near them on the boat or especially on the plane.

And what if they get really sick with it? We have 6 permanent ICU beds at Nobles, and about another 15 that can be pressed into action if needs be. And what we really don't need is for those beds to be clogged up with people who should have stayed at home on the adjacent island.

Singapore have 40 plus people coming in everyday and testing positive.  Hasnt caused any issues.

We haven't had a single transmission from ferry travel.

Hardly anyone gets really sick with it.  Those who do are in the majority people who have underlying health issues.  It would be sensible for those people to make their own judgment call.

Why again shouldn't window cleaners be working?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Back in February on here, using another account, I estimated the deaths in the USA would be one million. I never really thought it would come to that but now, now I'm not so sure.

And to think back in April UK authorities were warning of 20k deaths. Now we're approaching IoM population numbers.

Scenes back then too of mass graves being dug outside Sao Paolo etc. But it could never happen here, it was "just the flu".

• Like 2

Singapore have 40 plus people coming in everyday and testing positive.  Hasnt caused any issues.

Singapore is a country of 6m people. So yes, 40 people won't overload their system.

We haven't had a single transmission from ferry travel.

How do you know?

Hardly anyone gets really sick with it.  Those who do are in the majority people who have underlying health issues. 

Well that's OK then, we may as well not bother with any of this.

The more people who are allowed in, the greater the risk. It sucks not seeing family. But that's why the rules are as they are.

Edited by tetchtyke
typo, added a bit
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

As moderator.

You've obviously time on your hands and your posting is out of control. 

You veer between TSOS abuse and TJ hysteric repetition.

Try and self limit your posting. You’ve posted 254 since 1/1/21. You only posted 38 in the 5 years before that.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Lxxx said:

You're seriously not comparing the air in an enclosed meat plant to a walk on your own well away from other people.

It's like all semblance of common sense has gone out the window. You don't need a bloody case study to verify that a walk in the plantation with the dog, breathing in some welcome fresh air with no-one else in sight after being cooped up all day, is raising the risk of community transmission.   

No obviously and indoor and outdoor can't be compared. However, if the air temperature is freezing or just above and there is little to no wind outside it stands to reason that this would allow the water vapour from your breath to stay suspended in the air for longer, like it does in the meat plant. In fact this study backs up my point. The colder and more humid it is the further the droplets spread.

Edited by Ham_N_Eggs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Well, big animals tend to take longer to make, and take longer to have babies, and make sure those babies grow up. There's a clear evolutionary pressure for surviving longer to keep the species ticking over.

We take so long to cook not least because our brains are so good compared to most other creatures. The evolutionary cost to that is that we're effectively useless for a few years and have to be looked after. But it means we can come out of bipedal mothers. Though. Then parents have to live long enough to make sure we don't get eaten, otherwise all their hard work would've been negated and the species would've died out.

28 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Smaller animals have a higher heart rate to support their metabolism and because of the surface area/volume which is getting into an area I don't fully understand.

However, to suggest that we have a limited number of heartbeats is a bit silly.   Those who undertake cardio exercise and therefore have a lower heart rate than someone who isn't fit aren't going to live longer because of some limited number of heartbeats.  They will live longer because they are fitter and healthier than their more sedentary counterparts.  

Undoubtedly true to both.  Add into this the length of telomeres and various other factors.  All elements that contribute to or result from the same thing.  I'm not saying that you hit 5 billion heartbeats and then perish instantly, but the maxim to me makes an element of sense.  All biological processes can't go on ad-finitum and must have some form of limiting factor. 

Edited by The Phantom

9 minutes ago, John Wright said:

As moderator.

Try and self limit your posting. You’ve posted 254 since 1/1/21. You only posted 38 in the 5 years before that.

Fair enough  I do have a lot of time on my hands.  My work has been unnecessarily halted by law while others who are a bigger risk are allowed to carry on, and you known what, I am really annoyed by that and the fact that if the government had been competent and introduced proper testing I would still be earning.  Likewise if they applied proper risk analysis to different activities I could still be working.

Largely pointless trying to debate on here anyway.  People are so entrenched in their own "i am alright jack" mentality that they can't grasp others opinions.

No more posts from me, but maybe someone could actually quantify the risk of level 3 WITH the current protocols for returnees in place, because so far noone has even attempted other than to say "its too risky"

Thanks

Edited by horatiotheturd
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

I'm not saying that you hit 5 billion heartbeats and then perish instantly, but the maxim to me makes an element of sense.  All biological processes can't go on ad-finitum and must have some form of limiting factor. 

There's a reasonable chance that if you have a pacemaker fitted, you will be buying quite a few extra heartbeats ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, John Wright said:

As moderator.

Unfortunately it’s evident that HTT is slowly driving themselves stir crazy, they stay indoors to reduce the risk of infection whilst watching others go about their daily business and are now in a vicious cycle of being absolutely furious that they’re trapped inside, whilst others appear to carry on as normal without a care in the world.

I’ve heard it, seen it and I have acknowledged it but I’m absolutely powerless to do anything about it, as are 99% of forum members.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, horatiotheturd said:

Why again shouldn't window cleaners be working?

Window cleaners is not a low risk job fromn a health and safety point of view. OK, they don't climb ladders like they used to be even so.

And same btw with gardeners. Lots of power tools that could even do some nasty damage, especially in the cold weather etc.

eta:

Just to clarify - as with 'stay at home', this is to reduce the likelihood of hospital admissions.

Edited by Barlow
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1