IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

25 minutes ago, Barlow said:

The virus needs to be better understood. The Isle of Man being a microcosm and having experts etc on hand, could play a huge part in the world, beating Covid

Yes Rachel pointed this out on Twitter earlier today.  It's indicative of the anti-science mindset of the DHSC that when they have had opportunities to do useful original research, not only have they not taken them, when it has been agreed to start them they have done their best to kill them off. 

For example the antibody testing programme was stopped, even though the first completed section produced important data.  And Rachel's latest blog reports that "the Isle of Man data has mysteriously disappeared from the public databases" and worst of all "the microbiology lab chucked out a bunch of those precious positive samples that needed to be sequenced on-Island".  Samples which you would think it was important to keep, even if Rachel hadn't specifically requested they were.

I think the truth is that the Manx Civil Service mindset does only have no time for trying to contribute to knowledge, they're not even interesting in finding out what is best for the Island.  Instead the only priority is to avoid getting blamed, so any evidence must be destroyed in case it shows how negligent people have been.  Every sample must be thrown away, every letter must be shredded.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

the only priority is to avoid getting blamed, so any evidence must be destroyed in case it shows how negligent people have been.  Every sample must be thrown away, every letter must be shredded.

The really weird thing is that the Manx Civil Service is probably one of the most difficult careers to get sacked from so why hide their mistakes?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

No but you don't give it to the poor sods having to unpick billy from the mangled Renault Clio 1.2 with alloy wheels and R plates, nor do they have to pressure wash what remains of Jim the motorcyclist off the road after trying to put humpty back together again. Or launch a massive rescue operation off of a cliff.

Jim the motorcyclist looks out of the window at the weather and picks up his car keys like 99% of other bikers in a Manx winter.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Instead the only priority is to avoid getting blamed, so any evidence must be destroyed in case it shows how negligent people have been. 

We are probably now at the stage where some people, very tired and just as fed up as the public, are starting to look at what their future might include. Certainly a review of the decisions that have taken place and what evidence there was for making them. 

No-one will want to be outed as someone who let the islands people down in the most serious event we have ever encountered.

Some people have tried their best and been found wanting. Maybe we should have asked for more off island expertise and make better use of the skills we do actually have here. 

He who writes the notes writes the history, and I 'll bet some people are up late furiously scribbling away.

Sound cynical, yes I am. I think we could have done better. We weren't prepared for this as well as we could have been. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

The really weird thing is that the Manx Civil Service is probably one of the most difficult careers to get sacked from so why hide their mistakes?

It's odd isn't it?  I think it's because they don't just want invulnerability, they want praise as well, or at least lack of any criticism.  Hence all those strange Facebook accounts you referred to earlier.  Whether they come from pseudonymous civil servants, paid shills or useful idiots, there's a demand that not only must they always get their way, but there must be a chorus of praise accompanying them wherever they go.  Egos demand nothing less.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's odd isn't it?  I think it's because they don't just want invulnerability, they want praise as well, or at least lack of any criticism. 

Not really RM. Can you imagine what might happen if the public did not have confidence and trust in the island's management? That as why the appearance of effectiveness has to be maintained, albeit falsely in some areas. 

These events have cast a rather large shadow on this administration as I have said earlier and people are beginning to challenge and question more. Whether that is sustained remains to be seen. Some apathetic people may just go back to sleep politically when this is all over.

To add - when it is over how many staff will stay in the health services following their experiences through this pandemic? That is my concern from those I speak to.

We have, and will, lose some very good clinical staff when all this is over.

Edited by Apple
damn typos

I went shopping for my dad today, what is with people looking at things with their hands? There was a woman in front of me at the eggs, she must have picked up 5 or 6 packets of Eggs while I was waiting and was still faffing about when I whipped in at the side of her and took a box - I saw another man picking up veg too, they need to bring in a rule that says “touch it, buy’”. Rant!

• Like 11

7 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Yes Rachel pointed this out on Twitter earlier today.  It's indicative of the anti-science mindset of the DHSC that when they have had opportunities to do useful original research, not only have they not taken them, when it has been agreed to start them they have done their best to kill them off. 

For example the antibody testing programme was stopped, even though the first completed section produced important data.  And Rachel's latest blog reports that "the Isle of Man data has mysteriously disappeared from the public databases" and worst of all "the microbiology lab chucked out a bunch of those precious positive samples that needed to be sequenced on-Island".  Samples which you would think it was important to keep, even if Rachel hadn't specifically requested they were.

I think the truth is that the Manx Civil Service mindset does only have no time for trying to contribute to knowledge, they're not even interesting in finding out what is best for the Island.  Instead the only priority is to avoid getting blamed, so any evidence must be destroyed in case it shows how negligent people have been.  Every sample must be thrown away, every letter must be shredded.

Many years ago, very sensibly Gary Roberts set up an Organisational Development Unit. I remember it well cos it was staffed with one person - me! His aspiration was to create a ‘learning organization’. Where we didn’t forget the mistakes of the past and we’re better for them. It was creaky, clunky and perhaps only now, a decade or so on, is it starting to get there I hear. 

It was an important idea. And it is equally important for IOMG to do something similar.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Many years ago, very sensibly Gary Roberts set up an Organisational Development Unit. I remember it well cos it was staffed with one person - me! His aspiration was to create a ‘learning organization’. Where we didn’t forget the mistakes of the past and we’re better for them. It was creaky, clunky and perhaps only now, a decade or so on, is it starting to get there I hear. 

It was an important idea. And it is equally important for IOMG to do something similar.

Governments most often used get out of jail card "lessons have been learned" ! The first lesson they need to learn is not to use that phrase, when quite clearly those lessons haven't been learned and mistakes are repeated time after time !

Gary Roberts perhaps realised this with his set up regarding past errors.

• Like 3

I’m confused (easily done some might suggest).

Henrietta gets very mardy at the suggestion of mass (surveillance) testing, continually telling us it is a waste of time.

Chris Witty, Patrick Valance & JVT are having the UK Govt spend billions on testing within the UK.

If they didn’t, case numbers would be in the hundreds daily rather than thousands and maybe the population wouldn’t be shitting their kegs via the media & their daily figures wankfest.

Whos right, Henrietta or UK public health?

10 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

I’m confused (easily done some might suggest).

Henrietta gets very mardy at the suggestion of mass (surveillance) testing, continually telling us it is a waste of time.

Chris Witty, Patrick Valance & JVT are having the UK Govt spend billions on testing within the UK.

If they didn’t, case numbers would be in the hundreds daily rather than thousands and maybe the population wouldn’t be shitting their kegs via the media & their daily figures wankfest.

Whos right, Henrietta or UK public health?

Depends if you want cases found or not, we don’t which is why we never did any testing until they couldn’t get away with it anymore 

• Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Henrietta gets very mardy at the suggestion of mass (surveillance) testing...

Henrietta gets too mardy, too quickly, at too many topics.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

image.png.2f62b49c3307d5368cd87e66d7f4cadb.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 5