IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

8 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

That's just about our whole Island. And we're on 400 a day? For three days a week?

I suppose it is interesting to note that we are ahead of Sweden at least. 80,000 out of a population of 10 million is about 1 person in 125. We have vaccinated just over 1400 out of a population of 85,000 so about 1 person in 60. Not sure what it proves though, as this isn't really a competition.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

New lock downs in China as cases emerging in areas around Beijing.

I wonder if their leader is going on bike rides 7 miles from home when telling people to 'stay at home'.

It's the hypocrisy that winds me up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nom de plume said:

I’m confused (easily done some might suggest).

Henrietta gets very mardy at the suggestion of mass (surveillance) testing, continually telling us it is a waste of time.

Chris Witty, Patrick Valance & JVT are having the UK Govt spend billions on testing within the UK.

If they didn’t, case numbers would be in the hundreds daily rather than thousands and maybe the population wouldn’t be shitting their kegs via the media & their daily figures wankfest.

Whos right, Henrietta or UK public health?

In this case Henrietta.  Mass testing in a pandemic is fairly useless.  Either you find hardly anyone and (depending on the test you use) false positives may outweigh the actual cases or you provide false reassurance.  Or  you find loads and all it does is confirm you're in the mess you knew you were in.

There's the additional problem that it's a snapshot and a blurry snapshot at that, because it's going to be done over a period of time.  So if you're using it to locate those infected you will miss loads of those who test negative and then contract the disease while the test is still going on.  And it's even worse if you're dealing with a disease like Covid-19 where people can be incubating the virus but test negative even with the best testing.

If you want to know how prevalent the virus is you can use a well-designed sample (like the ONS household survey has been used) to get an idea.  But mass-testing adds no more and may actually make things worse by spreading the disease in the process of taking it. 

It's only used by governments wanting to do something dramatic and headline-grabbing (so suits the current UK government) but it's completely ineffective, especially with Covid.  of course when they did it in Liverpool the test they used was so inaccurate that they might as well have tossed a coin anyway.

That doesn't mean that you should go to the opposite extreme as Quayle and co have in their superstitious belief that if you don't test for something it can't be there.  Widespread and repeated (and free) testing targeted at those who might have been exposed is vital.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Out of the blue said:

Jim the motorcyclist looks out of the window at the weather and picks up his car keys like 99% of other bikers in a Manx winter.

If it wasn't for a massive nail in my back tyre, I'd have been out Christmas day for the empty roads. Plenty of green lane stuff happens over this time of year too. Days like today aren't bad if you've got winter gear.

13 minutes ago, Apple said:

New lock downs in China as cases emerging in areas around Beijing.

I wonder if their leader is going on bike rides 7 miles from home when telling people to 'stay at home'.

It's the hypocrisy that winds me up.

Hypocrisy? Their leader does what the hell he wants, as any dissent leads to a life in a punishment labour camp, or worse. Get a grip, there’s zero comparison.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Banker said:

Depends if you want cases found or not, we don’t which is why we never did any testing until they couldn’t get away with it anymore 

Agreed.

Positive cases have, and maybe still do, make HQ and DA feel like they've fundamentally failed, not least with the fake accounts on MR Facebook pages etc. professing how the borders should be shut entirely.

We had gone for, and maybe still are, burying our heads in the sand and hoping we get away with it. Lockdown is the answer to a problem that we shouldn't have reached.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2020 at 6:40 PM, Nom de plume said:

I can’t believe anybody is not looking at the situation across & around the globe and not thinking we are only delaying the inevitable.

We should be implementing policy & procedures right now to protect our elderly & vulnerable, utilising an efficient track & trace system & testing at the border.

We are sleep walking our way into one massive cluster****.

What he said (and Rachel Glover).

1 hour ago, Lxxx said:

Our whole approach will be driven by Public Health England. In fact it's the reason we were probably forced to dispense with Rachel's services, they will want to centralise everything and can't have us creating a world leading micro case study in how to potentially map and code a viral outbreak, when they are making such a pig's ear of it across. 

I doubt that. I'm more inclined to think it's personal, a senior medic in the Manx equivalent of SAGE who doesn't like someone else pointing out that without data you're flying blind. Someone's ego has been badly dinted by Rachel's knowledge & expertise.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

As I said earlier on, it's probably non-negotiable anyway.

I have said the same.  However, to be fair, just because it is non-negotiable doesn't mean it shouldn't be reviewed to ensure what it means, that its implications are understood, and to check that it is effective under the interface between Manx and English law and constitutional protocols. 

4 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I doubt that. I'm more inclined to think it's personal, a senior medic in the Manx equivalent of SAGE who doesn't like someone else pointing out that without data you're flying blind. Someone's ego has been badly dinted by Rachel's knowledge & expertise.

A great pity that some senior medics seem to value their own inflated ego more than the lives of others.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I think you would be surprised then. Not saying what you say above isn't true as well, but all crown dependancies are plugged into Public Health England and they will want to do the genomic testing and centralise the data, with no outliers. They can then stick to a uniform narrative.

2 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

I think you would be surprised then. Not saying what you say above isn't true as well, but all crown dependancies are plugged into Public Health England and they will want to do the genomic testing and centralise the data, with no outliers. They can then stick to a uniform narrative.

But I thought Liverpool lab can't or won't do the sequencing. At least that's what I understood from something that HE said a few days ago when she was asked by a journo? And where do you get the idea that IOM is 'plugged' into PHE? The only thing they seemed to be plugged into is the regurgitating advice from UK SAGE.