Beach Mission Returns To Island

lisner

From Manx Radio News:

Beach Mission Returns to Island

These were great days. Port Erin was where I went to Beach Mission.

All those Songs

Jesus Wants Me For a Sunbeam

Never Have A Face Like A Coffee Pot

Deep And Wide

This Little Light Of Mine

( . . .. and many, many more)

And there was plenty of room for the mischievous amongst us to get up to their tricks, too.

Beach Mission. They Invented the Smilie :):):) before computers were even invented.

:)

I have a deep and abiding mistrust/dislike for any kind of proselityzing religion. The idea of packing children off to Sunday schools or to 'beach missions' is absolute anathema to me. None of my children have been baptized/christened or whatever because it is my belief that the whole rigmarole is based on ridiculous superstition (if they choose to do so once they are grown up, that is their decision).

On the assumption that these particular beach bums are christian missionaries - I can't help wondering how they'd feel if a Muslim one set up shop alongside them, or perhaps a Jehovah's Witness one ora Scientology one (probably shaped like a flying saucer!).

Faith/religion/belief should be a personal matter IMO, and a public beach is not the place to be selling it to impressionable kids!

Laxey Commissioners seem to persist with the notices advising that "a major dog fouling incident occurred here.." Perhaps they need to make new "major god bothering incident.." sign for the village. Or, perhaps, they could spend some time exercising influence to get some use from the wonderful old pipe factory building to get some life back in the village at times other than when the Festival is underway.

Archived