No Smoking At The Bar

lisner

Or have I missed something?

Evolution - civilisation - having respect for other people?

What on earth makes you think I have missed those items? Is it my tolerance to let people do what they want to do? Please explain.

And Stuart, once again you're displaying your own ignorance of something you've never experienced. Some smokers smoke because they like it, not because they're addicted.

Smokers like smoking because they are addicted, and to be without the presence of nictotine in the system would be abnormal. To pretend they smoke because they like it, and not because they don't like being/ can't cope without it (addiction) is the biggest load of bullsh1t spouted on here.

In my experience this is not the case. The claims by ans that I have an ego problem and take myself seriously is currently the biggest load of bullsh1t spouted on here. I also think you are wrong about some smokers. Cigar users enjoy the odd smoke without being addicted. I also remember when under extreme pressure being told that a cigarette could make a pause of a minute or two into a real break. So I agree with ans. At times it seems it is a real boon.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Smokers like smoking because they are addicted, and to be without the presence of nictotine in the system would be abnormal.  To pretend they smoke because they like it, and not because they don't like being/ can't cope without it (addiction) is the biggest load of bullsh1t spouted on here.

That may be true of people you know, but I assure you it's not the same for everyone.

Bullsh1t!!  you don't know what I've experienced in the past, and what chemicals I've had to put into my body/cope without in my body.  But at least I wasn't inflicting them on others who didn't want them. 

Smokers like smoking because they are addicted, and to be without the presence of nictotine in the system would be abnormal.  To pretend they smoke because they like it, and not because they don't like being/ can't cope without it (addiction) is the biggest load of bullsh1t spouted on here.

Once again StuartT manages to turn a general discussion into one about him, that's a rare talent.

I'm an ex smoker btw, but my experience of smoking and stopping was individual and I'm certainly not qualified to preach to other people about how I think they are or aren't addicted.

I agree, it must be difficult coping without, but as time progresses, if smoking was made less commonplace, then less people would start, then as time went by it would be less of a problem. 

I think this was a fair point that Stuart made. But smoking was already decreasing from the time that the link to cancer and other serious ailments was made. It is, however, a gradual process (and certainly not helped by the determination of the big tobacco companies to find new markets and create new addicts in the undeveloped parts of the world).

There will always be a percentage of young people in our own society who will take up the habit - even if it's done merely to defy their parents - just as there will be a percentage who will ignore the warnings about other drugs and overindulgence in alcohol.

For that reason I approve of the bans on advertising and any portrayal of smoking as 'cool' in the media.

At the same time, completely banning from it's traditional 'home' in pubs etc can be seen as overkill. The breweries, IMO, make plenty of profits from their customers - certainly enough to create smoking/non-smoking areas or rooms, with proper ventilation, in their establishments and offer facilities for all of their customers rather than a section of them.

...... but as time progresses, if smoking was made less commonplace, then less people would start, then as time went by it would be less of a problem. 

I think this was a fair point that Stuart made.

I agree too - smoking is largely learned behaviour, there is often peer pressure involved and the more opportunities there are to take up the habit, the more likely you are to do so. The more socially unacceptable/difficult it is to do and the less normal it becomes, the less people will be inclined to develop the habit.

Right you lot that's it.

You were given the chance. NO SMOKING AT THE BAR.

You displayed your inherent selfishness and arrogance which comes with being a smoker, by sheer definition.

You blew it.

Now everywhere is going to be non smoking - á la Ireland.

ps

I've just learned how to use the á key.

I've heard that obesity is more of a cost to the NHS than smokers - so do we ban smokers and fatties from the bar???

Are you trying to spoil all my fun - how will the chocolate cigs work now??!! :P And actually, obesity is more of a cost to ME - do you know how much chocolate costs these days - i swear, when it gets to 80p a bar i'm giving up!! Athough, if i buy it by the box maybe i'll save some money - ahhhh hhaa!! :D

Archived