No Smoking At The Bar

lisner

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

From Irish Independent 17/10/2005. Posted in full rather than a link because you need to be logged in to read the articles.

Smoking ban a breath of fresh air for bar workers

NICOTINE levels in bar workers have been slashed by 80pc thanks to the smoking ban.

Bar workers have also reported a dramatic fall in breathing difficulties including coughing, red eyes and sore throats since the ban on smoking in the workplace was introduced 18 months ago.

A new study, funded by the Office of Tobacco Control and various health organisations, compared the health of bar workers in the Republic with those in Northern Ireland before and after the ban was introduced in March 2004.

It revealed that concentrations of cotinine - an indicator of exposure to nicotine found in saliva - fell more dramatically among bar workers in the Republic (80pc) compared with those in the North (20pc).

Nicotine only remains in bodily fluids for a short period of time so researchers searched instead for cotinine, a break-down product of nicotine and more accurate indicator of long-term exposure to second-hand smoke.

The reports authors found that exposure to second-hand smoke outside the workplace also dropped significantly in the Republic, thus challenging the view that banning smoking in pubs and restaurants would lead to increased smoking in the home.

"This study proves without a shadow of a doubt that bar workers are no longer exposed to high levels of passive smoking and have less breathing symptoms such as coughing and bringing up phlegm," said senior author of the report Dr Shane Allwright.

Researchers surveyed 329 staff working in both rural and urban pubs in the six months leading up to the ban and recorded how many hours they were exposed to secondhand smoke at work, home and elsewhere. One year later, 249 workers were followed up and their breathing symptoms examined.

"It's not just about measuring cotinine levels, how you feel is also important for your quality of life. The vast majority of those surveyed in the Republic said their health had improved since the ban was introduced," added the Trinity College lecturer.

"My colleagues in the North are telling me that bar workers in the North now see the introduction of a ban in their workplace as a matter of when not if," she said.

"The smoke-free workplace law in the Republic has provided protection for one of the most heavily exposed occupational groups by reducing their exposure to second-hand smoke both in and out of the workplace," she added.

Meanwhile, a second study, also funded by Tobacco Control, found that the Irish public has not missed smoky pubs and restaurants.

Support for the ban has jumped by almost a quarter, from 43pc to 67pc, since its introduction.

Even smokers have warmed to the new legislation with 80pc describing it as a "good or very good thing". Half smokers said the ban had made them more likely to give up.

Of those who kicked the habit, more than 80pc said the ban helped them do it.

I have breathing difficulties and lots of coughing up lovely phlegm because of a problem I have with my sinuses. Smoking around me really does not help so fine if you want to smoke but please not around me because I will pay for it later.

And before anyone says anything I don't even have to step into a bar.....i only have to walk down Athol Street at lunchtime :o

The ban works a treat in Eire. The pubs don't smell of stale smoke. You can go home without the smell of smoke on your clothes, in your hair etc etc. Good news all round. It is also a great way to chat up the local women, coz they nearly all smoke & congragate outside. Dead easy........... bring in the smoking ban over here!!!!

My mum is dying from emphysema ( fluid on the lungs) and she has to have oxygen..She can't leave the house and was too ill to attend my brother's wedding recently..

All because she smoked, and like so many did'nt think her health would suffer..

It's an waful addiction and lot's do enjoy a ciggie..

What the government should put in place is a realy good withdrawl traetment plan and make all treatments such as patches etc. Free ..

They allowed smoking in the 1st place -so they shold at least help people who want to give up in a more positive way than just booting them out onto the street...

I don't smoke and never have and dont like being near those who, for all the said reasons..

A total ban is a great idea esp for bar staff.. But we must understand smokers need time to give up and it's not that easy...

Archived