Fancy a pint?

PaulJ

22 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

H&B Carling £4.15 (or might be £4.20) a pint pre-lockdown. Shoprite Stella Artois 4%, £4.50 for 4 cans.

It had risen to £4.20 pre lockdown, word on the street is they're whacking on another 40 pence a pint for the few reopening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, finlo said:

It had risen to £4.20 pre lockdown, word on the street is they're whacking on another 40 pence a pint for the few reopening.

If true, they would appear to be intent on driving a few more nails into their own coffin, particularly given that quite a section of their customer base may not be exactly financially flush after lockdown conditions. 

4 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

It's sobering (literally :lol: ) to think that the cost of one pint of lager in a H&B pub can be the best part of 2 or three nights of home tinnies from Shoprite.

Don’t drink lager then. 

4 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

It's sobering (literally :lol: ) to think that the cost of one pint of lager in a H&B pub can be the best part of 2 or three nights of home tinnies from Shoprite.

Duplicate 

Edited by kevster

14 hours ago, GreyWolf said:

Yep both the Albert and the Shore are free houses, needless to say up until covid both do pretty well. 

Which is why the Albert always has some excellent guest beers including two of my favourites - Abbot and Old Empire. Plus the likes of Wobbly Bob brewed in M-Town no less. At 6.0% ABV an ale for close quarter combat only....

13 hours ago, finlo said:

The amount of money I have saved by not going pubbing and clubbing. I don't think I'll go back to it. Much better having some pals in the yard and a night 'in" costs about 10 quid instead of 100 on a night "out". Dream on h&b. This is the new normal. People without yards are drinking in groups in parks, beaches etc. Its really nice, the place looks more alive than ever. People having fun outside everywhere :)

• Like 1

The attraction of a well pulled pint remains. There were a fair few people drinking pints from The Tap Room/Garrison in the square over the weekend. Unlike me, with my cheap tinnies. I would really like Castletown Commissioners to shut the Square to traffic for the rest of the summer, but the fat lazy people won't allow it. And bus vannin have been whinging about something to do with it again too, threatening to stop serving Castletown or something.

Edited by TheTeapot

7 minutes ago, Butterflies said:

The amount of money I have saved by not going pubbing and clubbing. I don't think I'll go back to it. Much better having some pals in the yard and a night 'in" costs about 10 quid instead of 100 on a night "out". Dream on h&b. This is the new normal. People without yards are drinking in groups in parks, beaches etc. Its really nice, the place looks more alive than ever. People having fun outside everywhere :)

Agreed. Simply because the pals, along with everybody else has arrived at the same conclusion. The remaining H&B pubs are going to find it very hard to come back from this.

I could see private Houses knocking their prices down to entice people back in, that's the market economy way.

Unfortunately H&B are too pig-headed and too accustomed to having their own way over the years to countenance such a move themselves, if the suggestion that there's an extra 40p going on a pint for reopening is correct then there's all the proof you need. Plus of course, their pub involvement is now pretty much secondary to their other business interests; they can afford to run it down.

Covid will be as big a part in their pubs' demise as Millennium NY Eve and the 2008 smoking ban (for those affected by it). Along with their own attitude and pricing policy of course.

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Agreed. Simply because the pals, along with everybody else has arrived at the same conclusion. The remaining H&B pubs are going to find it very hard to come back from this.

I could see private Houses knocking their prices down to entice people back in, that's the market economy way.

Unfortunately H&B are too pig-headed and too accustomed to having their own way over the years to countenance such a move themselves, if the suggestion that there's an extra 40p going on a pint for reopening is correct then there's all the proof you need. Plus of course, their pub involvement is now pretty much secondary to their other business interests; they can afford to run it down.

Covid will be as big a part in their pubs' demise as Millennium NY Eve and the 2008 smoking ban (for those affected by it). Along with their own attitude and pricing policy of course.

For a long time now I've thought that H&B have lost their appetite for the hospitality trade. I'm probably wrong but I get the impression that they're not very agile when it comes to meeting the challenges of today's retail pub market.

There's certainly an opening for more micro brewing type operations, I would have thought. 

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

For a long time now I've thought that H&B have lost their appetite for the hospitality trade. I'm probably wrong but I get the impression that they're not very agile when it comes to meeting the challenges of today's retail pub market.

There's certainly an opening for more micro brewing type operations, I would have thought. 

They are managing out their estate re pubs.  It's simply the best thing to do.  Far more money in Mannin Retail and Trade Distribution.