Fancy a pint?

PaulJ

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

Before the world order changed, I’d mused if there was a market for a bar selling strong beers in short measures (1/4 or 1/3 of a pint, perhaps) with savoury  snacks - tapas almost? I believe similar exists in Germany? Sure I saw something a while back on a Rick Stein programme?

Belgian beers can be anything up to 12%, very nice indeed. Having lived in Brussels for 2 years I know just how lethal they can be.

10 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Teapot is obviously made of strong stuff. Drinking 12% proof beer is like drinking pints of wine. He’s a forking hero.

12% ABV 

An alcoholic drinks proof is measured in degrees and is  different to ABV. For example, a vodka that is 40% ABV,  is 70° proof

There's no pleasure in drinking high volume beers. The satisfaction is in a full pint slowly slipping down, and the option of another or two without that intoxicated feel. The pleasure is often just that; having a couple before going home or doing something else. You can also enjoy a beer and still drive home afterwards. 

1 minute ago, Shake me up Judy said:

There's no pleasure in drinking high volume beers. The satisfaction is in a full pint slowly slipping down, and the option of another or two without that intoxicated feel. The pleasure is often just that; having a couple before going home or doing something else. You can also enjoy a beer and still drive home afterwards. 

Probably a normal beer but I wouldn't fancy my chances with plod driving after a Teapot beer...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Before the world order changed, I’d mused if there was a market for a bar selling strong beers in short measures (1/4 or 1/3 of a pint, perhaps) with savoury  snacks - tapas almost? I believe similar exists in Germany? Sure I saw something a while back on a Rick Stein programme?

There used to be a bar in Sheffield that sold a very strong beer in 1/3 pints. Tasted like dry sherry. If you drank three you got a certificate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Such beers are usually known as barley wines and are typically served as 1/3 pint

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I respectfully disagree. There are some incredible high strength beers out there - I'm not talking about cans of Special Brew in the park - like most of what comes out of Belgium or fancy imperial stouts. 

Personally I'd never drive drive after a beer, even a single pint of something mild like MPA.

3 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

1907 for me.

The bottle 1907 is pretty good, 6.1% and 3 for a fiver in Shoprite, but on draft its 4.5 and crap. Okells IPA is rubbish on draft too but great in bottles, whereas the MPA loses something in the bottle and is far better as a pint.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

The bottle 1907 is pretty good, 6.1% and 3 for a fiver in Shoprite, but on draft its 4.5 and crap. Okells IPA is rubbish on draft too but great in bottles, whereas the MPA loses something in the bottle and is far better as a pint.

I don't think I've ever seen 1907 on draught. Also agree about the bottled IPA much more betterer than the draught.

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

I don't think I've ever seen 1907 on draught. Also agree about the bottled IPA much more betterer than the draught.

IIRC The Albert PSM had a strong Okells on draught a year or so ago but I can't recall the name - inevitably.

Their guest beers include some of my faves to wit Greene King Abbot, Marstons Old Empire IPA and Pheonix Wobbly Bob to name but a few.