Fancy a pint?

PaulJ

Just now, finlo said:

Didn't you have to know the secret knock to gain admission to the Railway back then or was that an old Manx rumour?

Possibly. It was home from ward for lots of patients on non secure placements at old Ballamona.

i tried once as a student. Remember this was in the days before flexible hours. I was told to go away.

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

Other pubs with barrels on shelves, stools, trestles were the Vic in Castletown and The Baltic.

Absolutely correct. Definitely the last two pubs doing so.

14 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Was it this one then?

104210122_192594825400156_2678244697675659134_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=BlR7CrquPFQAX8oI7lE&_nc_ht=scontent-amt2-1.xx&oh=13e3fa4cb739c2b134d5294af551a690&oe=5F0D3845

104139980_714176329339991_1329944574225013999_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=8WQlpP9HUWAAX_LXXMp&_nc_ht=scontent-amt2-1.xx&oh=9d2d92312034c48f25ae928fc087360d&oe=5F1071A1

There's also a house on Albert Terrace/The Crofts, basically the junction of Malew Street called Victoria House.

It’s the White House, other side of the arched lane. Number 70, I think.

40 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It’s the White House, other side of the arched lane. Number 70,  I think.

Thanks very much. That one has been re-rendered at some point so no real evidence left. It has a little blue plaque on it marking the area out as a conservation zone, but it doesn't mention the pub.

2 minutes ago, Golfer said:

Wasn’t the Vic demolished when they redeveloped the area? It was a great little pub but the landlord was a bit strange, can’t remember his name.

No it wasn’t demolished- it’s the structure correctly described by John Wright 2 posts above yours.

Wonder why they're opening the Manxie ahead of the Archibald Knox? You'd have thought that garden would be an advantage.

Rumour that The Union won't be opening again floating around down here, which is a surprise cos its always busier than The George. No food though I guess.

Anyway, fuck H&B.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

No it wasn’t demolished- it’s the structure correctly described by John Wright 2 posts above yours.

My recollection is tiny front room on right, bar, if you could call it that, to the left and a larger room at back with pool table. Room wasn’t big enough for pool table. Loo out back. Yard. Gate to Mill Street

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Possibly. It was home from ward for lots of patients on non secure placements at old Ballamona.

i tried once as a student. Remember this was in the days before flexible hours. I was told to go away.

Quite right too. Bloody students. Half a mild and asking to pay by cheque probably.:D

Edited by piebaps
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Up here in the jewel of the North

Central no date yet

Swan - Friday

Truth - open now for food

Bar Logo open now for food

Plough - Sunday most likely. Refurb work ongoing

Stanley - landlady reporting not this week - probably next

Traf - Thursday

Mitre - Thursday

Commie - next week - refurb work ongoing

Royal - nobody really cares

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Where was The Vic?

To quote the book Manx Inns by Suzanne Cubbon, Victoria(Wheatsheaf Castle st) This pub was also in  Malew st at no 70.and was run by Richard Cubbon from 1813 till 1843,suceeded by Jane Cubbon from 1846,this Inn was probably the one that came the Victoria,or unofficialy the Spion Kop. ....Beyond me  this?