Truth - open now for food

Bar Logo open now for food

Plough - Sunday most likely. Refurb work ongoing

Stanley - landlady reporting not this week - probably next

Traf - Thursday

Mitre - Thursday

Commie - next week - refurb work ongoing

Royal - nobody really cares

Someone told me the commie was getting done up, they were taken a little by surprise, told they'd get 3 weeks notice before reopening were given 3 days

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Someone told me the commie was getting done up, they were taken a little by surprise, told they'd get 3 weeks notice before reopening were given 3 days

Well they have had the last 3 months to do it!

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

My recollection is tiny front room on right, bar, if you could call it that, to the left and a larger room at back with pool table. Room wasn’t big enough for pool table. Loo out back. Yard. Gate to Mill Street

That’s right John.

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

My recollection is tiny front room on right, bar, if you could call it that, to the left and a larger room at back with pool table. Room wasn’t big enough for pool table. Loo out back. Yard. Gate to Mill Street

It would have been part of the pool playing strategy (home team advantage) to leave the white near the cushion and no room to take a proper shot.

The Waterloo on Strand Street, before it got made into one big room, had a pool table in the back room. It was a small room and there was no more than 3ft space all round the table. MGP before the place was refurbished, there was a rock 'n roll band (Johnnie and the Roccos) in there too, complete with string bass. 

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, South cape said:

I remember it being run by a mr and mrs  McCauley  ,that would be around 1986 

Was she the old dear that used to want a deposit on pint glasses if you weren’t a regular?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Was she the old dear that used to want a deposit on pint glasses if you weren’t a regular?

Yes. Celia’s mum. Her mother had owned it before her, and her grandfather before that. One of the few free houses, owned by a line of women. Several name changes along the way. Grapes? Station?

Just now, John Wright said:

Yes. Celia’s mum. Her mother had owned it before her and her grandfather before that. One of the few free houses owned by a line of women. Several name changes along the way. Grapes? Station?

Several of us used to go there when they held the fur and feather show at Braddan. It was particularly cold one year and the guy judging rabbits provided a moment I’ll never forget.

Judge: bloody cold in here, any chance she’ll light that fire

us: highly unlikely

Judge: I’ll ask

Judge to old dear: excuse me, do you sell matches

old dear: yes

Judge: good, can you use some and light that bloody fire

we never got to finish our drinks as we were asked to leave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Several of us used to go there when they held the fur and feather show at Braddan. It was particularly cold one year and the guy judging rabbits provided a moment I’ll never forget.

Was served in there at 14 years old. Later on at 15 I started work in a factory nearby. Lots of us went there at lunchtime for a pint and I was served, but a colleague aged 27 with full beard and mussy  was told he was too young to drink. This was Mac, not the mum.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2020 at 4:49 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Heron and Deary seemed to be imposing a 30m distancing rule before Covid19. Certainly looked that way walking past usually seeing only two customers in most of their places.

Don’t like what they’ve done to some of the pubs over here.... gone from decent old school boozers to all looking identical with equally identical boring menus!! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GreyWolf said:

I remember the Vic in Castletown serving there beer from old wooden barrels pure nectar, if only we could get that taste back I was going to say I’d pay a premium for that but the brewery already charge a premium already for much poorer quality in their own houses.

Im sure " Hipsters" woud welcome the return of the big barrels,this would be better than all that Artisan lager in little cans that Tescos sell.My memory is that the beer served like this was great.I remember Casletown bottled beer but not the draught.

12 hours ago, Neil Down said:

Went in there once to buy some cigarettes but was declined on the basis that the entire stock was 'for the locals'

I lived not a mile away

42 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Went in there once to buy some cigarettes but was declined on the basis that the entire stock was 'for the locals'

I lived not a mile away

Could you imagine the Isle of Man Shops and Service thread about that?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2