Fancy a pint?

PaulJ

26 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Surely if it was that simple, the brewery would have been all over that little trick

I’ve heard of at least one publican swapping stuff out to get the beers he wanted. Not sure about the brewery. That only covers locally brewed stuff and what they had in hand and what they can get in UK.

Best Before has no statutory meaning. It’s an advisory.

20 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I’ve heard of at least one publican swapping stuff out to get the beers he wanted. Not sure about the brewery. That only covers locally brewed stuff and what they had in hand and what they can get in UK.

Best Before has no statutory meaning. It’s an advisory.

They'll know all the tricks in the book, I've witnessed a well known publican in a well known pub top up the Smirnoff on the optic rail with el cheapo fire water!

H &B will not be doing this though. Regardless of the flack they get, they would never alter dates on kegs.They are the islands biggest employers and would never risk the health of punters. This scam is a UK one. Not our worry.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Scotty said:

H &B will not be doing this though. Regardless of the flack they get, they would never alter dates on kegs.They are the islands biggest employers and would never risk the health of punters. This scam is a UK one. Not our worry.

What used to happen to the contents of the slops trays?

2 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Into the mild ? 
That was the landlord decision though, not the brewery. Why I always drank lager.

I think you’ll find it was not the landlord’s decision...

25 minutes ago, finlo said:

They'll know all the tricks in the book, I've witnessed a well known publican in a well known pub top up the Smirnoff on the optic rail with el cheapo fire water!

Had the weights and measures people come in to the pub when I was doing relief once, they bought 3 doubles of vodka, rum and whiskey from different bottles and then poured them into jars, sealed and signed. Paid for them Left a jar of each for me, said don't open them till we ring you back, and when they did they said they were fine so I drank them. 4 years I worked in that pub, and outside of the environmental health guy checking the ice machine that was the only check I'm every aware happened.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

I think you’ll find it was not the landlord’s decision...

It was in one of the pubs I worked in. "That's paying for my trip to Oz" said Ken, landlord of the Hawley Arms at Camden Lock, 1982-83. The drip-trays of all the ales, including the lagers, were emptied into a large funnel in the corner of the bar which led to a barrel directly underneath in the cellar. He was quite the expert at re-pressurising the barrels of 'Mild' an exercise that could prove deadly if you didn't know what you were doing. This barrel even had its own button on the till and woe betide if he ever noticed you making a mistake ringing up. Strangely enough, the conconction was very popular considering the taste varied so much month to month. 

!

11 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Yeah, it wasn't. The brewery expected you to get 19 gallons out of an 18 gallon barrel of mild for their stock checking. Pricks.

11 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Yeah, it wasn't. The brewery expected you to get 19 gallons out of an 18 gallon barrel of mild for their stock checking. Pricks.

I find that very hard to believe and reckon that is just pub talk from the other side of the bar.

6 minutes ago, Scotty said:

!

I find that very hard to believe and reckon that is just pub talk from the other side of the bar.

I have personally poured the drip trays back in, filtered. There was a device for it, with a mesh and a big filter paper. It wasn't just the mild either. The bitter tray went back in the bitter, the lager, guinness and mild went into the mild.

And when I left their employ after a wild argument with Chris Taggart about their ludicrous fucking behaviour, compliments from the customers about the improvement to the beer after I refused to do it, accusations of theft, police threats and me very nearly smashing his fucking teeth out I can assure you that they expected you to get more beer out of a barrel than was mathematically possible.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I have personally poured the drip trays back in, filtered. There was a device for it, with a mesh and a big filter paper. It wasn't just the mild either. The bitter tray went back in the bitter, the lager, guinness and mild went into the mild.

And when I left their employ after a wild argument with Chris Taggart about their ludicrous fucking behaviour, compliments from the customers about the improvement to the beer after I refused to do it, accusations of theft, police threats and me very nearly smashing his fucking teeth out I can assure you that they expected you to get more beer out of a barrel than was mathematically possible.

The Chris Taggart era was an era of utter twats