Fancy a pint?

PaulJ

14 hours ago, finlo said:

They'll know all the tricks in the book, I've witnessed a well known publican in a well known pub top up the Smirnoff on the optic rail with el cheapo fire water!

Optic contents are tested now & then by govt bods

If he stupidly did it then he's lucky not to be in gaol

21 minutes ago, MadAsHell said:

Can they test for brands?

It ought to be theoretically possible, here's someone trying to flog a machine that does, though I don't know if they bother.  They're more likely to pick up differences in alcohol level because people have replaced a premium brand containing say 40% alcohol with a supermarket or cheap brand that is only 37.5% or 36%.  That's before any literal watering down of course.

21 hours ago, piebaps said:

Ah yes sir that's the "artisan" special ale

I worked in a real ale pub in Bradford. All the leftovers went in a barrel labelled John Smith's. They sold a lot of John Smith's but never bought any. Fair enough they were decent beers that went in but the taste must have altered week to week

Todays' managed houses have so many checks it would be hard to get away with past practices?

The itemised Till, every drink has its own button, press Vodka 20 times and you should have used a bottle of Smirnoff from your stock, still got half a bottle??? How so???

Was it ever worth it? Was it just a game to see what you could get away with? Like Tax evasion?

No doubt you can get around the computerised stock through the Till but far easier to do a function for someone and offer them a discount for cash!!! The Pub I worked in, I did 20% of the turnover, easy enough to hide a function in that? ( ...and still get the highest gross in the group!!).

Just now, Halfbaked said:

Predicable....

brewery prices, stale food, drab decor no entertainment programme.

loads of potential with a wide catchment area, let’s hope the Phoenix rises

I disagree with that bit, they've had a load of gigs on. Mark Morriss was due to be on again, I was going to go. 

30 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Colby Glen is gone apparently.

Good development site I suppose.  That might explain why people were complaining about the shop never being open.  Of course it should be a goldmine run proper (and has been in the past) but it's always easier to flog land off for development.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Good development site I suppose.  That might explain why people were complaining about the shop never being open.  Of course it should be a goldmine run proper (and has been in the past) but it's always easier to flog land off for development.

The field across the road from it has been sold for development. Went for £1.5m about 2 years ago now.

2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

should be a goldmine run proper

Properly Roger, properly!

It's probable  not a big enough site to be particular attractive to developers but there will be lots of people who will 'fancy' running their own Pub?

Teapot, how many houses are going onto that site and how many could they fit on the Pub site??? Houses directly behind? Nimbys, we were here first!!! 

Is it H n B? They'll probably find a manager for it, it would seem to have potential.

Edited by Kopek