Fancy a pint?

PaulJ

25 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I disagree with that bit, they've had a load of gigs on. Mark Morriss was due to be on again, I was going to go. 

Too late by then and it was a token effort by a promoter nothing to do with the brewery or put forward by the brewery 

I don't know how many houses or who bought it. I don't think any plans have been advanced, but it is zoned in the southern plan or somewhere similar.It's not that big a site, but neither was the old Colby football pitch and dandara managed to get ~40 houses on there.

H&B tried to sell the Colby Glen a few years ago, and had effectively agreed a sale around £330000, but then put some crazy restrictions on the potential buyer about buying their stock exclusively from them or something so the buyer pulled out. 

Watch them slap a restrictive covenant on this one too, and let it sit and rot for years. Utter wankers.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Todays' managed houses have so many checks it would be hard to get away with past practices?

The itemised Till, every drink has its own button, press Vodka 20 times and you should have used a bottle of Smirnoff from your stock, still got half a bottle??? How so???

Was it ever worth it? Was it just a game to see what you could get away with? Like Tax evasion?

No doubt you can get around the computerised stock through the Till but far easier to do a function for someone and offer them a discount for cash!!! The Pub I worked in, I did 20% of the turnover, easy enough to hide a function in that? ( ...and still get the highest gross in the group!!).

I agree,  with computer's etc a lot of the old practices will have died out but there will still be plenty of scope for a few scams.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I don't know how many houses or who bought it. I don't think any plans have been advanced, but it is zoned in the southern plan or somewhere similar.It's not that big a site, but neither was the old Colby football pitch and dandara managed to get ~40 houses on there.

H&B tried to sell the Colby Glen a few years ago, and had effectively agreed a sale around £330000, but then put some crazy restrictions on the potential buyer about buying their stock exclusively from them or something so the buyer pulled out. 

Watch them slap a restrictive covenant on this one too, and let it sit and rot for years. Utter wankers.

Boarded up by Tuesday?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kopek said:

I'd give then 280,000 and agree to buy their beer for 3 yrs!!!

Just depends on the figures!

Not a block to a sale.

I think the reality is it would struggle to wash it's face down there,  although Notwell reckoned it could do several hundred covers every day!

• Like 1

If you are going to buy a Pub, because that is your lifes ambition, then you want to spend your time maximising your profit, not worrying about where your next barrel of bitter comes from or which guest beer to stock. Concentrate on the service  and the food and success will follow?

5 minutes ago, finlo said:

I think the reality is it would struggle to wash it's face down there,  although Notwell reckoned it could do several hundred covers every day!

Oh yeah I remember that. It should do a lot better than it does, but he was in (still is eh?) fantasy land with his views.

• Like 1

Finlo, it's in the South, they don't wash down there, do they? All farmers and pleby manual workers aren't they?

Oh no, many middle class housing estates around that Pub now!!! There is a market down there for food, especially coming out of lockdown, the novelty of eating out will be substantial., just needs careful planning and Colgate staff?

Edited by Kopek

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Mannin Retail in there. Close the small shop and rent out.  Redevelop uppers to apartments. Build an extension out the back for more apartments.

1 hour ago, finlo said:

I was just about to post that until I read yours :lol:  A thousand covers a week or something wasn't it?

Along with the Tom Jones concert making a killing...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Notty used to come out with the standard old school accountancy phrases, "wash its face".."you've had your pants taken down"..."take a haircut".

I do miss Notwell though.

He would continue to argue his case even though he was always totally wrong all the time and would never admit it.
(there..that should get him back)

• Like 2